Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 599418

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2019, 20:52   #2271
Stuby

Default Volvo customer relations

Well had the recall work done. Along with cam belt change and service £890

A couple of miles from home the Amber EML came on. Now the EGR valve was cleaned out 4 months ago.

Car was returned to Volvo dealer and verdict was EGR cooler not cooling.

Customer services contacted for a goodwill gesture, towards the work and came back with 10%, declined obviously. Now the cheek of it £100 voucher towards accessories or a service.

As the EGR cooler had previously been replaced by previous owners Volvo dealer.

Car is V60 D4 Business 2014 with 85000 miles

Waiting for a decent offer, but also waiting to see if it can be remapped and EGR blanked just waiting for a couple of replies from tuners.

Last edited by Stuby; Nov 12th, 2019 at 20:54. Reason: Mileage and age
Stuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 22:24   #2272
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuby View Post

A couple of miles from home the Amber EML came on. Now the EGR valve was cleaned out 4 months ago.

Customer services contacted for a goodwill gesture, towards the work and came back with 10%, declined obviously. Now the cheek of it £100 voucher towards accessories or a service.

Waiting for a decent offer, but also waiting to see if it can be remapped and EGR blanked just waiting for a couple of replies from tuners.
What sort of driving do you do as short town driving is not a modern diesels best friend when it comes to emissions and faults with the EGR. I work my XC60 FWD 2015 VEA 181hp hard. Towing and with a lot of long distance runs and it has been faultless since with the EGR fix? at 30k. I am now at 100k+ and have found the car superb. I haul throughout the show season a S11a Land Rover or my Triumph Vitesse and this has been the best towcar I have ever had with sublime comfort to boot! It appears to me that the Euro 6 emission regs. have created a problem for such compliant engines used in commuter style usage and a few long runs are required to burn off deposits. Not a green operating system in my opinion. We now have with electric vehicles the future prospect of 'lithium battery lakes' to deal with which long term doesn't sound very green to me. I cant help thinking my two old crocks are perhaps the greener!!!!!!!!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 22:36   #2273
Stuby

Yep your right. When I first got it I was doing some mileage towing a caravan, working away from home. But last few months working back home and only doing 20 mile return commute.
However this commute was not a problem and caused no issues for my Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI for 3 years.
There is definitely a problem with the Volvo EGR design.

Last edited by Stuby; Nov 12th, 2019 at 22:59.
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 08:15   #2274
SeaShell

I do an 8 mile round trip in mine, so no doubt the light will come on again.

I was previously doing more miles, so not sure whether the D4 now fits the bill.

Just wish there were more petrol ones around but at the time everything was diesel diesel diesel!!
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 08:33   #2275
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuby View Post

This is the first time I've heard of a blocked EGR cooler not being replaced under 100% goodwill, if that's actually what the problem was (never heard of an EGR cooler not cooling!). Maybe it's because a non-Volvo garage cleaned out the EGR valve?
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 11:52   #2276
Stuby

Volvo Customer Services Latest Reply
After refusing previous offers and emailing link to forum.

As the vehicle is out of warranty and we would expect all manufacturing faults to occur in that time. However I would be happy to get in contact with Shrewsbury again to see how they can assist you further with this and ask what occurred for the EGR to fail.

Kind Regards

Will Good
Customer Relations Consultant

Play on the name I think.
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 13:27   #2277
Lojzek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
This is the first time I've heard of a blocked EGR cooler not being replaced under 100% goodwill, if that's actually what the problem was (never heard of an EGR cooler not cooling!). Maybe it's because a non-Volvo garage cleaned out the EGR valve?
I belive that if car is more than 5y old it is game over - no more 100% goodwill from volvo for replacing egr cooler.
Lojzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 15:24   #2278
Stuby

Latest

I can confirm that Shrewsbury has been contacted regarding your EGR Failure.

They will be submitting a report to us soon so we can review the costs and see how we can contribute

Kind Regards

Will Good
Customer Relations Consultant

Strange as I Thought all this had been done previously hence the previous Good Will gestures.

This promptly followed with a phone call from the dealer asking if I can bring the car back as something was missed think they said cylinder compression test (part of the re-call work) and they need it for Half an hour.
Booked in for Wed 20th.

lets see where this goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stuby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 20:04   #2279
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Part of an email from Volvo CS today.
I have checked your vehicle and unfortunately this has been effected by the recent Safety Notification.

Provided that you are not experiencing any of the symptoms such as loss of power, engine lights on, or a smell, then your car does not need to be taken off the road.

If you experience any of the symptoms described, please follow the guidance provided on our Q&A page https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai.../notifications

There have been a number of corrective measures carried out which are improving this situation, but the complete solution is still under development at this time and is an urgent priority for Volvo Cars.

If you can confirm your address details and we will update our system with your correct information, and will contact you with details of the complete solution as soon as it is available.

Further news is most likely to become available by the new year.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 20:21   #2280
Stuby

I wasn’t experiencing any symptoms.
But the re-call work was carried out ( even though there is no solution yet?).
All because, all I wanted to do was have the cam belt done.

But now I have the amber light and it was diagnosed as the EGR cooler wasn’t doing it’s job.

And now I’m fighting for a goodwill gesture from Volvo Customer services.
As I’ve said to them my car wouldn’t pass an MOT now.