Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What should i use for the power steering fluid v70 d5 2006

Views : 1742

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2021, 11:29   #21
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixah View Post
I ask because I find a lot of conflicting advice, and I had to replace a leaky pipe yesterday, i sucessfully did that and bled the system.

the fluid that's currently inside is very dirty, just brown, to be honest i cant tell what colour it was originally... and just seemed like a sensible next step to replace it, i was going to do it the easy way, by just replacing the fluid in the reservoir.

Start by doing that, but then disconnect the return (smaller upper) pipe and hold that over a washing up bowl on top of the engine. Get someone to turn the engine over while you keep topping up until green is coming out into the bowl. Shouldn't take more than literally 5 or 6 seconds. Top up again if necessary or turn it over again if over filled (a second or two on the starter probably enough) and then top up. It's probably the easiest job I've done on the car yet

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Feb 28th, 2021 at 11:32.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 11:34   #22
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Check you have a suitably sized jubilee clip or similar before starting job because you'll probably destroy the old clip taking it off

mini project - link
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 13:49   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixah View Post
I am still a little confused, people say older cars use ATF newer use CHF, (green) and everyone says "check your manual"

my manual just says; power steering fluid : "WSS M2C204-A" "or equivalent"?

from my understanding most post 1999 vehicles are (or should) be using the CHF (green) stuff?

i would like to get this done today, and about to collect some of this. if someone could confirm if this is suitable for my car, would be much appreciated.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/en...1l-124416.html

regards, Matthew
It changed in the mid 90's from red ATF to the green which improved cold temperature performance , They are interchangeable ... I doubt there are many with red ATF still in them ...
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 22:53   #24
Aveton Gifford
VOC Member

My S60 has the red fluid in it (which is the same fluid as goes into the autobox) and the C70 has the green.

I nearly got caught out by the S60 as everybody thought it should be the green. I don't know if it was changed before I got it, but it still has the factory steering rack in it.

I have seen a few other S60/V70 cars with the red fluid in them. Always take a bit out of your bottle and check to be sure 👍

2005 MY C70 2.0T MANUAL

2007 MY XC70 D5 AUTO
Aveton Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 11:06   #25
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

just one other pointer, if you are emptying the header tank first, I would try and avoid disconnecting the larger bottom pipe.. mine was practically welded on, it took a lot of effort to get off and could have got damaged

I was actually replacing the tank so it was necessary, but otherwise I would try either tipping it over and pouring out, or using a turkey baster

mini project - link
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 11:12   #26
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
just one other pointer, if you are emptying the header tank first, I would try and avoid disconnecting the larger bottom pipe.. mine was practically welded on, it took a lot of effort to get off and could have got damaged

I was actually replacing the tank so it was necessary, but otherwise I would try either tipping it over and pouring out, or using a turkey baster
Or a little suction pumpy-thing (manual). Much the easiest way, akin to ATF refreshes.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 17:52   #27
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Let me add.
Please note I've posted this compilation of experiences years ago; closer to when it happened.

1) A growl in the power steering system is what prompted the first owner of my 1999 to sell in 2004 or 2005.

2) The system was full of red fluid. God only knows what was in there. He had his volvo tended by the blokes who worked at the private jet hanger he worked at. He was an argumentative buffoon. I overheard him grouse with the Volvo techs and his "coveralled coworkers".
Old, textured Type F fluid could've been added. etc., etc.
I bought the car (correctly) assuming the problem was local to the PAS.

3) A full flush to Pentosin CHF-11S, the pale green stuff which is put into Volvo bottles, quieted my system for almost exactly 40,000 miles.

4) After that reprieve, during a highway run, my pump issued a 30 second crescendo from essentially silent to a jarring, metallic howl.

5) I went to a junkyard and got a pump from a 2001. It had pale green fluid dripping from it as I carried it home. It was the last junkyard pump sold on the North American continent for just $40.

6) I gathered intel from everywhere I could during this education-by-experience.

7) Volvo didn't update their owner's manual for years. A local Volvo dealership showed me the old fashioned Castrol transmission fluid they claimed to use for PAS systems. This was years into the era of synthetic (the pale green Pentosin) fluid.

8) Communications with Volvo (their No. American HQ was 6 miles away) went unacknowledged. I didn't expect acknowledgement. I'll bet Volvo's arrangement with Castrol is what kept the ancient fluid note in print. I also bet any proofreader just saw the Castrol name and skipped over the meat of the content.

I keep fluids clean. I'd get my system completely changed over to clean Pentosin.
I never had a subsequent problem with the '99, the '02 and my current '07.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 21:15   #28
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

point 4, the noise and subsequent replacement of pump.. are we to assume this was because of the wrong fluid previously used?

how much mileage had he done in those 5 ish years, if you can remember?

mini project - link
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 14:42   #29
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I bought the V70 with 70,000 and I had added ~40K (~110K) when it growled it's last.

Yes. You are to assume, as I did, that incorrect fluid was used and that said fluid was damaging. Inductive reasoning was employed.

The pump's tiny vanes are sliding pieces of metal which live in grooves in a cylinder. The cylinder is what's turned by the serpentine belt. They act like paddles on a water wheel but work in a tight chamber of irregular shape. The vanes slide in and out in comport with the irregular shape and there's an exit port where the volume is reduced. These are small, precise machines.

I'm dead certain that either the incorrect fluid accelerated wear or the nasty buffoon owner was the target of sabotage. Either is far from a remote option.

Yes, the pump could've been manufactured incorrectly but against so many perfect PS pumps working around the globe, the sloppy anachronistic fluid recommendations and "the lads" at a hanger offer a simpler route to the demise of one of them.

Plus, the curtain came up on synthetic PS fluid essentially overnight so you have inarguable "human inertia" in place.

Plus, isn't the newer stuff just better? Hugs & kisses
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 16:13   #30
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

BRAH.

you quote the spec in your post and the image you provide shows that spec on the bottle!!

so yes!
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote