Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to check for when buying an S60?

Views : 208732

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2006, 02:46   #11
mhon72
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues60 View Post
Sorry, never saw your query. I'm not sure they are standard but EVERY SE model I have seen in the flesh or in adverts (Ebay, Autotrader, Ex & M) have had the Prologic system so I guess they do???
There is apparently a "Premium" system that has more powerful amps and a couple of extra speakers but I don't know how to check for this. Anyone?
All UK SEs came with the High Performance system consisting of a 200W external Amp under the passenger seat, 9 speakers (2 in each front door, 1 in each rear door, 2 in the parcel shelf and a single 25W speaker in the dash for the Dolby Pro-Logic.)
The Premium (or Audio Max) system was and still is a £250 factory option consisting of a 300W Amp and 13 upgraded speakers (3 in each front door, 1 in each rear door, 4 in the parcel shelf and single dashspeaker.)
The only physical way to check without dismantling the car is to get a small torch and to shine a light into the medium speaker grille in the front doors. If you can see a small speaker driver (a mid-range) then you have the 13-speaker Premium system. You can also check the rear parcel shelf for the extra 2 speakers.
You can also check with Volvo UK or a dealer as they'll have details of the various options fitted to each car by the factory.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 04:49   #12
Zota

Default S60 Etm

Ì looked here to see if the S60 had the same problem as the S70 ETM.
It appears from the forgoing posts that it does.
They cannot be repaired as they are carbon pots and wear out.
If the engine idles up & down or has similar problems, don't buy it, in fact don't buy a car with carbon pots in the throttle control.
Barry
Zota is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zota For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 07:20   #13
Zota

Default S60 Etm

I have an S70 at present and I am thinking of changing to an S60.
There seems to be an idea that the ETM in an S60 after 2002 is different to the
one in the S70s. I have had a look at the ETM in a new S60 and it appears to be identical.
Does anyone know if the new ETMs still have the carbon potentiometer ?

If so then nothing has changed.

Barry
Zota is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zota For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 21:30   #14
MartyS60

Yippee! I have the Premium System! It's the best stock sound system I have heard.... even beats top end Audi....IMHO
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 18:44   #15
s60black

have a s60d5 which i love just a few annoying things clunks at low speed when slowing and stopping
plus scrapping at full lock on one side
goes like a rocket whats the 185bhp like
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 20:27   #16
Mr_Wid

Got a quick tip for anyone looking to buy an S60 V70 or S80. A quick check to see if any diagnostic trouble codes are stored within any of the control modules on the car, god knows there's enough of them!

Sit in the car, ignition on, press and hold the read button on the indicator stalk and then quickly flash the rear fog light on and off. You'll then be able to keep pressing the read button and scroll through each module individually and the car will tell you weather that unit has any dtc's stored, but it wont tell you what they are. Defo a good thing to check thou before buying one and getting the seller to sort before you buy
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 18:26   #17
nordberg

[QUOTE=Zota;160254]I have an S70 at present and I am thinking of changing to an S60.
There seems to be an idea that the ETM in an S60 after 2002 is different to the
one in the S70s. I have had a look at the ETM in a new S60 and it appears to be identical

I'm looking at a petrol S60 tomorrow that was first registered 5/4/02
I know it all depends on when the car was actually built that tells whether
it has the newer etm.
Is there any way i can tell if its one of the updated ones or is it just a risk
i'll have to take? dont really want to buy one that might start giving me
trouble in the near future...
nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nordberg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 21:52   #18
VolvoBear

Thumbs up Can you identify whether S60 has the ECM issue or not?

Hello All,

I am currently looking at buying a S60 2.0 T SE and the one I have my eye on at the moment is a September 2001, although the ad says it is a 2002 spec. What I am trying to find out is whether there is a way to definitely tell whether the car would be effected by the ECM issue (as per this article on WatchDog http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and...20061205.shtml) ?
Is there a way to identify a potentially faulty ECM,is there a definite manufacture date you can find out which won't be affected?

Also an excerpt from WatchDog suggests that Volvo UK will now take action and software upgrade the ECM, "Volvo Car UK is offering a free-of-charge software upgrade, plus ETM clean and crankcase ventilation clean to all customers within the affected vehicle range who may be experiencing symptoms of an ETM malfunction, or are concerned about the running of their vehicle. All software upgrades are now available (except the Bi-Fuel models).

Again, the models affected are:

1999, 2000, and 2001 model year S60, S70, V70, XC70, C70 and S80 petrol models
2002 model year V70 non turbo petrol and C70 petrol models
All S60 and V70 bi fuel models
No diesel models are affected.
Any Volvo owner concerned about this issue should contact their local dealer or Volvo's customer relations team on 0845 756 4636."
Full details of this article can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and...061212_2.shtml

Any suggestions really welcome!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by VolvoBear; Apr 18th, 2007 at 21:59.
VolvoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VolvoBear For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 16:39   #19
Bob Bridge
02 S60 2.4T & 88F 740 GL

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by s60black View Post
have a s60d5 which i love just a few annoying things clunks at low speed when slowing and stopping
plus scrapping at full lock on one side
goes like a rocket whats the 185bhp like
Hi my 2.4T SE has a similar clunk on the passenger side at full lock I am assured it is nothing to worry about and that all S60,s do it I can,t comment on the 185BHP but my 200 ponies are well in sync and boy does it shift sadly so does the fuel gauge but what the hell it's worth it for the buzz. When I drive it sensibly it is fine on fuel really

Volvos just do it!!
Bob Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Bridge For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:49   #20
jschapman

[QUOTE=Bob Bridge;229488]Hi my 2.4T SE has a similar clunk on the passenger side at full lock I am assured it is nothing to worry about and that all S60,s do it I can,t comment on the 185BHP but my 200 ponies are well in sync and boy does it shift sadly so does the fuel gauge but what the hell it's worth it for the buzz. When I drive it sensibly it is fine on fuel really

Or you could buy an S60 D5 and have it remapped (like I did), get 210 ponies, more torque than a hell of a lot of cars on the road, and stil get 40mpg!
jschapman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jschapman For This Useful Post: