Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

d5 camshaft

Views : 5719

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2017, 18:14   #1
SteveTDCi

Default d5 camshaft

Has anyone ever replaced the exhaust camshaft on a D5 ? it appears volvo in their wisdom have changed the profile of the cam on the 185 which can lead to none starting when cold ....
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2017, 18:59   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Can't say that I've ever heard of D5 starting problems being solved by replacing a camshaft.

The solution is always much more simple than that.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2017, 21:28   #3
SteveTDCi

I thought it was odd too but we cannot see what else it is.

We have tried 2 cam position sensors, admittedly both used but both have worked in the past, the only fault code relates to cam signal implausable.

The cam sensor picks up from the camshaft itself, we have tried another set of injectors again used. The car started fine before we swapped the engine, it starts fine when warm, to start it cold you need easy start.

We are happy to try anything so any suggestions we will try.
Old Jun 27th, 2017, 21:42   #4
Dancake
Premier Member

I'd have an educated guess and say you have an earth fault. Recheck every earth cable and terminal/join, paying particular attention to the starter motor and other main engine earths. Don't assume that an earth is good because it looks ok. Disconnect it and inspect/clean it with a wire brush and terminal cleaner, then do voltage drop tests where possible.
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2017, 21:53   #5
Rooster
Speed freak

I would be having another look at crank sensor aswell and make sure timing belts timed up right
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2017, 22:21   #6
SteveTDCi

Timing has been checked 3 times, crank sensor has been checked, not sure if we tried another though.

Earth is worth checking given its been off, it seems to turn over pretty well although i'm not sure if we have checked the cranking voltage.

Just to recap,

Car was drinking 1 litre per 100 miles. It was on 110k and a 2010 XC90

Replacement engine was sourced through a Volvo specific breaker, it came from a 2009 car i believe and was running.

The engine was then swapped over, the injectors and all ancillaries were swapped over, turbo, starter everything.

Cambelt was changed, aux belt, new oil and filters and some hoses, rocker cover gasket etc.

Everything went in, car was started first time and ran. It was left for 1 hour and then when started would just turn over.

Fault code showed Cam Position sensor.

It was swapped, same fault code.

We spoke to the breaker who suggested starting it on easy start as he had someone else have an issue with the exhaust cam but he felt that was more of an issue with the 205 engine.

We tried and it started.

If you get the engine running it will run forever until you stop it. It will restart straight away. If you leave it 1 hour it will struggle but will start, if you leave it 90 minutes then it needs easy start.

WE knew the old injectors were weak on cold start, we tried a used set from the same breaker that supplied the engine, we still have the same issues.

I'm happy to consider anything, be it earths, battery, engine oil - is it fussy on viscosity ?
Old Jun 27th, 2017, 23:59   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Your symptoms sound like low rail pressure which can easily be caused by poorly seated injectors.
They have to be installed just so and seeing as all 5 have been removed, that's where I'd start.

If you click on the link in my signature, you'll find a video showing how to solve starting problems with diagnostics.
Very simple to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 00:45   #8
SteveTDCi

Injectors have been in and out a few times, the last attempt also had new seals. Pump pressure readings were supposedly good. I did find the leak off pipes can cause a similar issue.
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 01:03   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
Injectors have been in and out a few times, the last attempt also had new seals. Pump pressure readings were supposedly good. I did find the leak off pipes can cause a similar issue.
Data is cheap so confirm rail pressure figures for yourself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 23:21   #10
SteveTDCi

Fuel pressure is good I believe, when changing the timing belt does everything need to be locked off with the timing tools or can it be done without ?