Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2001 Volvo C70 2.4 turbo Convertible AKA "Olivolvo"

Views : 1275

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2021, 11:01   #1
GDPR
USER DELETED FOLLOWING GDPR REQUEST

Default 2001 Volvo C70 2.4 turbo Convertible AKA "Olivolvo"

2001 Volvo C70 2.4 turbo Convertible AKA "Olivolvo" (my wife names all the cars)

103500 miles (and counting, as I use it still)

MOT 16/JUL/2021

Registration PJ51 KHT

I'd like to sell my Volvo C70 which was bought as a stop gap while my 480 was being painted but has stayed for some time as its quite good fun! It seems like ideal forum-member transport in that it is cool, fast and still needs some tinkering and a very handsome car. I drove it to Switzerland and back mid-lockdown without a hiccup or hesitation and it was fast and comfy for a 12 hour door-to-door dash.

Good points:

beautiful metallic dark red with cream roof means it is a handsome beast
IMHO the 5-cylinder 2.4 low pressure turbo is the best engine on these Mk. 1 C70s. (2.0 too slow; 2.3 quite turbo laggy). It is a wonderful engine to drive with loads of power.
refurbished wheels (at Lepsons, one of the best around) and Michelin Cross Climate tyres all round. Sadly I curbed one of them again with about a 2" rash.
replacement rare option "soft" cream leather seats installed with probably the best condition you can get on a C70 of this age
Volvo SC-901 stereo has had Dolby Surround decoder and centre speaker added plus 3-CD changer repaired and is probably one of the best sounding cars ever made. Aux. In box installed for this too.
timing belt & tensioners; aux. belt & tensioners; water pump; thermostat, coolant temp. sensor replaced with all genuine Volvo items by Jifflemon of this parish
both lambda sensors replaced with genuine Volvo items by Jifflemon of this parish
rear suspension delta-link bushes replaced (my garage said "never again" so you should be pleased they are done!)
rear handbrake all replaced and new over tank brake pipe (corrodes often and this one caught in time)
PCV pipework replaced (100,000 mile service item) with genuine Volvo items, including the expensive heated pipe which sometimes people baulk on replacing) by me
injectors sent away for cleaning and testing when above work done
steering rack reconditioned after brackets broke on it. Original item refurbished.
exhaust hangar replaced
serviced up to date with new plugs and filters; running new fluids in absolutely everything (engine oil (Castrol Edge); coolant (Volvo); power steering fluid (Volvo); brake fluid (Volvo))
new headlights (original style though as I hate the newer type everyone puts on) curing another long carried advisory. Yellow bulbs installed which make a very good combo with dark red paintwork and cream roof.
new turbo oil pipe return seal (curing advisory that it has carried for some time)
Previous owner has fitted front strut brace and rear tow bar which are supposed to help the handling.
New wipers (windscreen and headlights)
New battery
New numberplates
auto gearbox oil changed by previous owner
wireless throttle thing changed by previous owner (apparently a common problem)
shift lever release button changed by previous owner (apparently a common problem)
remote central locking brought back to life c/o Marshall Volvo!
Its a convertible but is watertight!

Bad points:

It puts on the engine light for emissions sometimes which can be reset with a battery disconnection. It comes back within a few miles or a few weeks, depending on how it is feeling. It drove all the Switzerland with it off last year and only put it on the next day. Conversely, I reset it yesterday and it came on before I even got out of the village. New lambdas, new PCV pipework, cleaned MAF and still it does it. Jifflemon reckons a good look at live on data in Vadis will find the culprit but due to Covid lock down this never happened.
Cream roof is gorgeous but shows wear more easily than the darker roofed cars. I put little round Stormsure patches on worn parts to make sure it doesn't get worse plus added bungee cords to mechanism to replace the worn out elastic which caused the rubbing to occur in the first place.
A few scuffs to the bumpers and some bubbling to the paint just behind the doors on the waist-line for 2", like they all seem to do. I was quoted £600 to sort out all of it out at the bodyshop that are doing the 480
Air conditioning works but only for a month or two after filling up. I've filled it up about 3 times in the last 2 years for summer. This isn't a particularly environmentally effective solution but it works for the few months of high-20-degrees temperatures that we get in the UK
plenty of meat left in the brake pads but you should change the discs next time the pads wear
cover panel above driver's legs was a bit loose so I removed it. I hope to reinstall it with some velcro to assist it before it is sold!
not all window switches work for the rear windows but there are enough to get everything up/down and the roof module puts them up anyway after closing the roof. I'm told that there is just dirt in the contacts but it never bothered me that much

Spares:

original dashboard without hole in it for centre speaker. For if you ever decide to change the radio, although I wouldn't advise it as it sounds so good "as is"
rear luggage rack
wind deflector (which makes a HUGE difference to driving comfort when up) and bag to store it in boot
Volvo winter rubber mats and Volvo beige carpets

I am selling because I have my eyes on a C6 so this and the Renault Avantime have to go to accommodate it. I'll post the Avantime some other time.

In the summer with the roof down, I find that I can forgive it absolutely everything as it is just wonderful to drive like this. It is utterly reliable and a great GT cruiser for point-and-squirt fun rather than a sports car which can be thrown about. It will do the windy stuff quite but you need to be slow and precise with the steering to do this rather than chucking it in.

PM me for my telephone number or email address if you want to discuss the car or come and visit it. I live in Horningsea, Cambridge.

As you can see from the above list I have foolishly spent a fortune on it since I got it in 2019 and I will never get the few thousand back. I think £1800 O.N.O. seems fair as I can't get the EML to stay off.

Its lockdown of course, but I think car sales are still permitted and test driving with the roof down and masks on should be safe enough if you want to take it for a spin. Happy to discuss how to do it safely though.

Last edited by GDPR; Feb 4th, 2021 at 11:43.
GDPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 11:06   #2
griston64
Premier Member

Sorry if I've missed it but what's the price /

Thanks
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 11:09   #3
GDPR

Last edited by GDPR; Feb 4th, 2021 at 11:42.
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 11:10   #4
GDPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
sorry if i've missed it but what's the price /

thanks
Sorry, didn't copy entire advert in to forum. Original post updated!

Last edited by GDPR; Feb 4th, 2021 at 11:43.
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 11:31   #5
GDPR

Pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0075.resized.JPG (263.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0076.resized.JPG (280.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0077.resized.JPG (284.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0078.resized.JPG (223.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0079.resized.JPG (199.8 KB, 24 views)
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 11:34   #6
GDPR

Picture 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0080.resized.JPG (287.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0081.resized.JPG (274.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0082.resized.JPG (224.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0083.resized.JPG (239.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0084.resized.JPG (291.0 KB, 9 views)
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 11:35   #7
GDPR

Pictures 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0089.resized.JPG (213.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0090.resized.JPG (174.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0091.resized.JPG (192.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0092.resized.JPG (234.4 KB, 19 views)
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 11:38   #8
GDPR

Same pictures but in better quality here at this link:
https://app.box.com/s/my6gjstvl13o6bhvrdp5wgptsrjeb1gb
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 11:49   #9
GDPR

MOT

ADVISORIES:
Yellow lights fitted. They are legal.
Engine oil leak. FIXED (turbo oil return line)
Front discs and pads wearing. REPLACE WHEN PADS NEXT CHANGED. PADS HAVE PLENTY OF THICKNESS
N/S/F fog light not working. FIXED
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5586E12A-DF59-4757-A89D-4586C26E4596.jpg (78.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by GDPR; Feb 4th, 2021 at 11:56.
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 16:41   #10
GDPR

Sold to Auto****e forum member