Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

airbag light s40

Views : 1048

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 16:01   #1
mies123

Unhappy airbag light s40

Hello!

I have two volvo s40 which both are from the year 2002. The newer one which I drive is equipped with the 1.8 engine and the other one I have as a parts car has got the 1.6 engine.

I recently changed the leather seats out of the parts car into my main Volvo. We forgot to remove the battery cable and as result, the airbag light came on.

Also, one of the connections under the front passenger seat was completely missing on the leather seats we put in, but it was not the airbag connection.

Heating is also functioning on both front seats.

Took it to a shop today and got told that its a permanent fault in the system which can't be reset until the actual fault has been fixed.

The error codes which they got after reading the car were:

Permanent fault, SRS-0158, seat belt buckle, passenger; signal too low
Intermittent fault, SRS-0137, faulty signal
Intermittent fault, SRS-013D, faulty signal

The seats were completely similar with the same functions. The airbag light wasn't on the parts car either before we took out the seats.
mies123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 18:38   #2
magnuz
Ancient

If the seats didn't show a fault in the other car, try swapping the module from the other car as well. Remember to disconnect battery on both cars, or it may upset it again.
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 19:13   #3
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

On the green connector under the passenger seat, slightly bend the thin pins inside the connector BEFORE replacing the SRS unit from the "old" car. This should make a better connection.
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 19:15   #4
mies123

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuz View Post
If the seats didn't show a fault in the other car, try swapping the module from the other car as well. Remember to disconnect battery on both cars, or it may upset it again.
okay, so I found out that the seatbelt buckle on the front passenger seat was completely missing the wire which connected to the cars SRS system. I took the buckle from the old seat which had wire still intact and swapped it with the faulty one.

Now there are no missing connections under the seat but the airbag light still hasn't gone off. Could this have been the problem? Don't you still have to reset the airbag light even though the issue may have been fixed?

I'm still concerned about the 2 other fault messages complaining about the faulty SIPS bag signal on both sides.
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 23:16   #5
magnuz
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by mies123 View Post
okay, so I found out that the seatbelt buckle on the front passenger seat was completely missing the wire which connected to the cars SRS system. I took the buckle from the old seat which had wire still intact and swapped it with the faulty one.

Now there are no missing connections under the seat but the airbag light still hasn't gone off. Could this have been the problem? Don't you still have to reset the airbag light even though the issue may have been fixed?

I'm still concerned about the 2 other fault messages complaining about the faulty SIPS bag signal on both sides.
Yes, you need to use the scan tool to reset/clear the codes, even when the fault is fixed !
Intermittent fault codes may have been there for some time as an historical code, so may not be the cause of the light to come on ?
Some others members on here may know more, but i believe that some fault codes for the SRS system stay in the history & can't always be fully deleted, but it can be reset for the light to go out & for the system to work as it should do ?
But check all the connections/plugs, etc & reset /clear codes & see what happens ?

Last edited by magnuz; Feb 23rd, 2021 at 23:21.
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magnuz For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 13:14   #6
mies123

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuz View Post
Yes, you need to use the scan tool to reset/clear the codes, even when the fault is fixed !
Intermittent fault codes may have been there for some time as an historical code, so may not be the cause of the light to come on ?
Some others members on here may know more, but i believe that some fault codes for the SRS system stay in the history & can't always be fully deleted, but it can be reset for the light to go out & for the system to work as it should do ?
But check all the connections/plugs, etc & reset /clear codes & see what happens ?
Okay, so the airbag light is finally off. Took it to the shop and they were able to clear all the codes.

The issue was the missing connection on the front passenger seat buckle.

I should probably get a scanner tool to my own place to save money and time.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 17:04   #7
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

mies123: That's what I did because of an intermittent fault. Pays in the long run. I paid £140 from Northern Tools for a Foxwell NT630 (or summat). Works fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to bimmer49 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 19:48   #8
mies123

Are you able to clear permanent faults with it or does it only work for intermittent faults?

I'm mainly concerned about the abs/srs clearing functions because some scanners on the market aren't able to clear them.
The Following User Says Thank You to mies123 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 09:33   #9
gatos
Premier Member

It may be worth it swapping SRS nodules and trying to reset the codes again. Quite a few aftermarket codes readers, will not be able to read the SRS-001 error code, which is for failed module. If that is the case by any chance, you will be unable to reset the other error codes.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 18:45   #10
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

mies123: It clears stored and pending codes on SRS/ABS in plain language.
Gives live feed engine performance in plain language.
Suitable for about 30 different marques of vehicle.
So if you change your car, future proof.
Mine only has data up to 2012, it has not been updated altho updates are available in the internet.

Tags
2002, airbag, s40, seat belt, seats