Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should I change timing belt?

Views : 701

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2021, 16:59   #1
LucasSilver

Default Should I change timing belt?

I bought my S60 two years ago and recently thought about the timing belt. I took the cover off and it does look good. No scratches on it, not torn or damaged at all. Looks like new. Car has 101k miles on the clock at the moment. Should I think about changing it soon or leave it for now based on the looks.

Another question is can it be done by myself or rather get a mechanic to do it. Some say its an easy thing to do while others scare you with engine rebuild should you not align everything properly.

Thank you!
LucasSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 17:14   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

if you want to keep the car a longish time, just do it would be my vote. I've sent a car to the scrappy because I put it off too long, never again.

IIRC it was 100k or 10 years, so judge based on age as well as mileage.

never done one myself, it doesn't look that hard if you have the right equipment to lock the cams and know how to align the bottom pulley..

if you send it in to be done, I would say change the water pump as well but I said that before and others disagreed and said volvo pumps are very long lasting

recently shared my bill here if you're interested in rough idea of price comparison:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...7&postcount=16

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 17:58   #3
LucasSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
if you want to keep the car a longish time, just do it would be my vote. I've sent a car to the scrappy because I put it off too long, never again.

IIRC it was 100k or 10 years, so judge based on age as well as mileage.

never done one myself, it doesn't look that hard if you have the right equipment to lock the cams and know how to align the bottom pulley..

if you send it in to be done, I would say change the water pump as well but I said that before and others disagreed and said volvo pumps are very long lasting

recently shared my bill here if you're interested in rough idea of price comparison:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...7&postcount=16
Thank you for your reply. How long should it take for a professional mechanic on a s60?
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 18:59   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

well mine was 4.5 hrs but that was slightly extra because the locking wheel nut didn't work and they had to do it all down from the top. not sure how much longer that really takes, they said about an hour but.. garages.. you know how it is

If you can take the wheel off and access it from the side, I guess maybe an hour less? you'd have to get that as a quote from your local garage really

bear in mind my cost included the oil change / service / new water pump which you might not need (service, pump) or may prefer to do yourself (oil)

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 20:36   #5
oragex
Premier Member

When you got the car 2y ago, it was already old so chances are the previous owner had already replaced the belt based on age rather than miles. I can tell the genuine belts can take quite a beating - cracks - before failing, however the same cannot be sure about aftermarket ones. I've seen one much worse than this one in the video https://youtu.be/2Fpftq-SOcc But in the end, it's all about peace of mind if sure keeping the car for a while. Use only good brands such as Continental and the water pump can wait if it's still the original - look from the sides what it has stamped on it. Replacing the belt can be a hassle if you remove the crank pulley
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 12:37   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasSilver View Post
Thank you for your reply. How long should it take for a professional mechanic on a s60?
70 minutes on the pre 2007 models
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 13:08   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

You can’t readily check the belt. The issues you are looking for are in the root of the teeth and they are not easy to spot at all, you need to remove the belt and turn it outwards to view.

The d5 is an extremly simple belt to change. Clan says 70 minutes and I would go with that. I changed mine myself in a morning and I am not a mechanic. I also did the water pump, coolant flush and Aux belt.

If you don’t have history of a change you MUST change

1) cam belt
2) aux belt
3). Idler and tensioner.

If the belt goes the engine is dead, period.

I personally change the water pump, but if you don’t want to I think that’s probably acceptable.

I would expect change from £200 myself. Vs 5k if it snaps.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 13:17   #8
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasSilver View Post
I bought my S60 two years ago and recently thought about the timing belt. I took the cover off and it does look good. No scratches on it, not torn or damaged at all. Looks like new. Car has 101k miles on the clock at the moment. Should I think about changing it soon or leave it for now based on the looks.

Another question is can it be done by myself or rather get a mechanic to do it. Some say its an easy thing to do while others scare you with engine rebuild should you not align everything properly.

Thank you!
You can do it yourself on these P2 cars.
Just buy the INNA timing belt kit from eurocarparts, I wouldnt bother trying to find each part seperately for cheap as you can guarantee you'll get the wrong parts.

Tools:
30mm socket for turning over the engine.
T55 (or T60) Torx for releasing the aux tensioner.
T30 torx for removing top engine cover screws.
1/2 inch Socket wrench.
Coupe of very long 1/2 inch extension bars (gets your wrench outside of the wheel arch area for easier ability to turn the engine over).
3/4 inch Torque wrench.
6mm allen key.
Usual 10mm/12mm sockets.
long flexible LED torch - useful to see crank timing mark.

There is a rubber guide at the bottom of the crank pulley held on with 2x 10mm bolts. Remove it and you can get the new belt on without removing the crank pulley.

It was the first car I ever did a timing belt on, as long as everything is lined up and stays lined up after manually turning the engine over a couple of times, you're good to go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 16:05   #9
LucasSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
You can’t readily check the belt. The issues you are looking for are in the root of the teeth and they are not easy to spot at all, you need to remove the belt and turn it outwards to view.

The d5 is an extremly simple belt to change. Clan says 70 minutes and I would go with that. I changed mine myself in a morning and I am not a mechanic. I also did the water pump, coolant flush and Aux belt.

If you don’t have history of a change you MUST change

1) cam belt
2) aux belt
3). Idler and tensioner.

If the belt goes the engine is dead, period.

I personally change the water pump, but if you don’t want to I think that’s probably acceptable.

I would expect change from £200 myself. Vs 5k if it snaps.
Thank you. I'll go ahead and do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to LucasSilver For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 16:13   #10
LucasSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
You can do it yourself on these P2 cars.
Just buy the INNA timing belt kit from eurocarparts, I wouldnt bother trying to find each part seperately for cheap as you can guarantee you'll get the wrong parts.

Tools:
30mm socket for turning over the engine.
T55 (or T60) Torx for releasing the aux tensioner.
T30 torx for removing top engine cover screws.
1/2 inch Socket wrench.
Coupe of very long 1/2 inch extension bars (gets your wrench outside of the wheel arch area for easier ability to turn the engine over).
3/4 inch Torque wrench.
6mm allen key.
Usual 10mm/12mm sockets.
long flexible LED torch - useful to see crank timing mark.

There is a rubber guide at the bottom of the crank pulley held on with 2x 10mm bolts. Remove it and you can get the new belt on without removing the crank pulley.

It was the first car I ever did a timing belt on, as long as everything is lined up and stays lined up after manually turning the engine over a couple of times, you're good to go.
Thank you mate, you encouraged me to do it myself.

The extension, how long does it have to be? Roughly. For the torque wrench, I do have one but it's 1/2. Will an adapter be fine for this or do I need another wrench.

Is there a good video you could recommend? I watched a few and it does look pretty easy.

On a side note I lost faith in garages. One quoted me 400 for just the belt and tensioners. Another 520. I told them I saw it done in just over an hour on a video so they are bull****ting or charging 200 an hour. Ridiculous. Is there anyone from Glasgow who can recommend a good honest garage?

Thank you all for your help.