Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarm keeps going off, now have some info.

Views : 646

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2018, 18:37   #1
cpu_man

Default Alarm keeps going off, now have some info.

Hi chaps, hope you are all good?

Some of you know I have been having some alarm issues, I had pulled a DTC which was 00004 and that stated an alarm siren comms issue, I know these are a common issue so a new one is on order however I still think there is another cause for my radom alarm trips as if I disable the interior alarm sensors I have no issues.

So after some help and time I got VIDA up and running and I managed to read the REM and the CEM and it shows that the last 3 alarm trips were due to the rear mass movement sensor.

If you click on the thumbnail and zoom in, how so you read the times and dates as I can't make it out??

I am right I thinking I might have a sensor issue causing my problems, I did read the history from the REM but I thought as this only looks for history on the rear I managed to pull up the same info for alarm trips In the CEM and again it states the last 3 trips were down to the rear mass movement sensor.

Has any one replaced one of these before and know of the location or even a link to a diy if there is one?

would this u not have to be programmed to the car and if so can VIDA do this or is it plug and play?

Thank you guys.
cpu_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 20:06   #2
Moose Test
Master Member

Firstly a question - do you leave any consumer electronics in the car at night? iPad, MP3 player etc.? These have been known to cause the mass movement sensors to false trigger. My Nokia phone used to trigger my alarm in this way without fail if I left it anywhere in the car when locked.

That notwithstanding, you already have (almost) everything that you need to replace the mass movement sensor in VIDA - it carries the module's location, removal and replacement instructions. It's effectively the dealer's full workshop manual.

FYI, the mass sensors are stuck to the top surface of the headlining with tape. The rear one can be reached by removing the necessary sections of rear cargo trim, removing the bolts from the cargo net carriers and allowing the lining to drop down gently. The rear mass sensor is near the rear interior light.

As for whether they are plug and play, I don't know. I've only ever replaced the original units, whilst replacing the headlining. I think it's unlikely that you can just fit a second hand unit (if you can, I'm sure you'd need to match the exact part number and model year) and if you need a new one, then I'm equally sure that VIDA will be involved for loading software. If that is so, you will need a dealer / independent with a fully licensed copy of VIDA.
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 20:29   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Plug and play. Very simple devices win Linbus comes.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 22:22   #4
cpu_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
Firstly a question - do you leave any consumer electronics in the car at night? iPad, MP3 player etc.? These have been known to cause the mass movement sensors to false trigger. My Nokia phone used to trigger my alarm in this way without fail if I left it anywhere in the car when locked.

No items are left in the car at all that can set off the sensors.

That notwithstanding, you already have (almost) everything that you need to replace the mass movement sensor in VIDA - it carries the module's location, removal and replacement instructions. It's effectively the dealer's full workshop manual.

Perfect I did not know VIDA had a work shop page built in

FYI, the mass sensors are stuck to the top surface of the headlining with tape. The rear one can be reached by removing the necessary sections of rear cargo trim, removing the bolts from the cargo net carriers and allowing the lining to drop down gently. The rear mass sensor is near the rear interior light.

As for whether they are plug and play, I don't know. I've only ever replaced the original units, whilst replacing the headlining. I think it's unlikely that you can just fit a second hand unit (if you can, I'm sure you'd need to match the exact part number and model year) and if you need a new one, then I'm equally sure that VIDA will be involved for loading software. If that is so, you will need a dealer / independent with a fully licensed copy of VIDA.
Thank you very much for the info
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 22:24   #5
cpu_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Plug and play. Very simple devices win Linbus comes.
Hi Swiss, thank you for your reply, you have been very helpful to me since joining this forum so thank you.

So just plug and play, is this still plug and play with a new unit from Volvo?

Do I have to do a program process in VIDA like when you replace the siren to tell the car you have fitted a new part or is that not needed?
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 07:56   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Plug and Play.
Get a new or 2nd hand item with the same part number.
Unplug old.
Plug in new.
Done.

If you have any doubt, follow the replacement instructions in VIDA, which you have.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 19:47   #7
cpu_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Plug and Play.
Get a new or 2nd hand item with the same part number.
Unplug old.
Plug in new.
Done.

If you have any doubt, follow the replacement instructions in VIDA, which you have.
thank you
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 17:32   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

One of my XC90's had the alarm going off and when I started to investigate I found a spider crawling around near my sensor, evicted it and it never happened again.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote