Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 2.0 SE cold starting/idle problem

Views : 1910

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 20:32   #1
bedlinog

Default 440 2.0 SE cold starting/idle problem

I have a 1993 2.0 auto 440 that has a problem starting from cold and won't run without intervention until hot. The car can only be started by pressing the accelerator and will cut out immediatly if released. i have to rev it until warm or it cuts out. it stutturs a little also. i have had the car looked at by two garages (now been in 5 times) and have had the throttle potensiometer replaced, the auxillery air valve changed, the car has been serviced this week and i have tried a fuel cleaner but still no luck. The ECU checks out fine also. when the problem first started the car was idling at about 1800rpm. way above the 900rpm it usually sits at.it now settles at about 700??

when the car is at full temp. it runs fine and won't loose its revs and will start for the rest of the day at any time running perfectly. An auto that won't idle till hot is a pain to drive i can tell you!
Anyone got any ideas?
Old Jul 18th, 2002, 14:31   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: 440 2.0 SE cold starting/idle problem

Sounds like you have a large vacuum leak somewhere or maybe a heat related problem with the clutch that won't disengage until (for whatever reason) the engine has warmed up.

Something to go on?

Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2002, 15:31   #3
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

the auxillary air valve - was this the idling stepper motor (idle valve), it could be that if yours has one fitted .
Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:12   #4
Dan F
Premier Member

I don't thijnk the 2.0i cars have those motors. I thought they were just in the 1.8s...Could be wrong...

Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote