Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cheap ETM replacement

Views : 42438

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2010, 22:20   #1
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Default cheap ETM replacement

hi guys

As some of u will know i have been on a mission to find a cheaper way of changing the ETM to the latter (yeloow sticker) item without having to pay £200+ for this well known fault.

Well today was the big day, i found a replacement ETM (yellow sticker) fitted it, job done in about an hour, then the moment of truth will this work or not?
Turned engine over cough, splutter, then to my relief it settled down took for a test drive all problems gone.

The only thing i will say is i used one off the same model as i have altho it was a 98 "S" reg as apposed to a 99 "T" reg, and also it was an auto mine is a manual. Once all finished i took the car for an extended test drive (200 miles approx) and it runs perfect now.

To sum up if you are thinking of doing the same make sure the replacement ETM comes off the same ENGINE model as yours, as far as i can tell you wont go far wrong.

Just one last thing the replacement only cost me £50, if anyone needs one mail me as i can get hold of a few more at this price, obviously postage is extra, im not looking to make any money out of this just cover the costs of the ETM and postage

any further questions either post here or mail me

cheers

simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 14:41   #2
colinandrews

Hi sorry to bother you..

was wondering if you still happened to have any of these ETM's available still..(as in the post above)

Its for a V/1999 C70 2.4 manual

Regards

Colin Andrews
colinandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 22:38   #3
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

hi colin

sorry for the delay had a fe days away, im hoping there will be a cuople available next week as i have another member who wants exactly the same one lol, i should know more on tuesday evening

is yours turbo or non turbo?

cheers

simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 12:24   #4
Caiystane
Caiystane

Default Another ETM replacement.

Hi
Are there any more replacement ETMs out there?
My one has just cost me £45 to find out it needs replacement at £361 from dealer. This 1 year after the updated software cost me £90ish.
I've seen some of the videos on how to do it so I'm not overwhelmed.
I have a 1999 V70 2.5 XLT 20V.

Many thanks

John

Last edited by Caiystane; Aug 22nd, 2010 at 12:26. Reason: Not finished
Caiystane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 21:34   #5
RG_Toad

Caiystane - can you post a link to the video for the replacement of the ETM - chances are i'll be spending the weekend under the bonnet fixing mine.
Cheers
RG_Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 13:22   #6
SE1
Berm Sur Mer

Hi Mr Deathrider
are you still able to get these yellow label ETMs have 2002 C70 T5 which has the morreli ETM fitted. I have had the classic ETM probs for a month now. Volvo want a £120 pound just to tell me what I already know. was going to get a clean/reprogramme which volvo now say has to be paid for so may be cheaper to replace. any help would be greatly appreciated .

Cheers
SE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 14:05   #7
Ianfromnotts

Has any one used ECU testing in Eastwood ? My ETM was cleaned at about 80K but with 140K on the clock now tickover is getting increasingly erratic. 2.4T s60 petrol, or any swap over parts available?
Ianfromnotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 22:50   #8
volvoguy

Hi, would appreciate if you could help source ETM Magnetti Marelli part number 8644344 for s80 x reg, 2.4 non-turbo 170bhp auto.
many thanks!
volvoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 23:18   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianfromnotts View Post
Has any one used ECU testing in Eastwood ? My ETM was cleaned at about 80K but with 140K on the clock now tickover is getting increasingly erratic. 2.4T s60 petrol, or any swap over parts available?
an erratic idle is most likely just a lot of carbon blocking the throttle flap , if there are no fault codes thats what it will be .. ( unless something un related like air leak etc )
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 12:09   #10
pez64

Hi deathrider, can you still get hold of those 'yellow sticker' replacement ETMs?
Cheers
Andy
pez64 is offline   Reply With Quote