Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General > 300/66 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360 GLEi

Views : 5457

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 14:07   #11
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I keep coming back to look again !
Although the car has a known fault and hasn't got an MOT I guess you want more than a couple of hundred pounds for the it.
Are you hoping to find it a good home, get back what you paid or just get as much as possible for it.
Did you do the work needed to get it back on the road or did you buy it with an MOT ?

Sorry to ask a lot of questions but because the car isn't known on here some more history would be helpful.
I am tempted to come and have a look myself as you aren't far away. I couldn't afford to buy a good condition one with an MOT but maybe because it hasn't got one you won't be loking for so much.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 19:03   #12
kev240
Master Member

Sorry, I think the car must be actually insured by someone to use it on the road, I might be wrong but remember a similar case in a 'Police Stop' on the telly.
Kevin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen.Agfa View Post
No it doesn't!

A vehicle can be driven untaxed to a pre-booked appointment for a test at the MOT garage/station but it would require insurance cover; that cover need only be third party liability which any insured driver has when driving a car that is not his own, but with the owners permission. So, get a car-owning pal to take the car for MOT and Bob's your mothers brother!

C.A.
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 19:33   #13
evoman

A very nice car! Id put some effort into getting an MOT you'd improve the price very significantly
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 19:59   #14
a.l.2810

Kev240 is right. You can only drive other peoples cars on your insurance if the owner of the car has it insured . Lovely car though. Now if I hadn't just bought the vario....
a.l.2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 20:00   #15
johnystik

Hi, thanks for all your replies, you've convinced me, I'll fix the small job that needs doing and put it in for a MOT and then put it back up for sale. It really is a very well looked after motor and I'd like to get as much for it as possible, whatever that might be ! .......watch this space.

Thanks all
John
johnystik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 13:29   #16
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.l.2810 View Post
Kev240 is right. You can only drive other peoples cars on your insurance if the owner of the car has it insured . Lovely car though. Now if I hadn't just bought the vario....
Lifted this from the "5ive-0 beyond the thin blue line" forum...

Teknobod
07-02-2005, 11:24 AM

Something that you should also be aware of AFAIK is that the vehicle "lent" to you must also be insured under it's own policy.

ie the person lending it should have a policy in their own name for the vehicle in question.

Andy

Kris
07-02-2005, 01:28 PM

No, the car you have been lent doesn't have to be insured for your driving other cars extension to kick in but legally it shoud be insured by the owner to be on the road.

Oh & some policies may have some obscure wording in them that prevent you from driving another car if it is considerably higher in value or insurance group than yours (dates back to the GTi days when poeple thought they could get around the Gti premiums by insuring a knackerd old mini tpft & then drive a VW Gti around registered to someone else under the DOC section of the policy)

Teknobod
07-02-2005, 03:37 PM

No, the car you have been lent doesn't have to be insured for your driving other cars extension to kick in but legally it shoud be insured by the owner to be on the road.

Surely then, that would mean that if it is not insured by the owner it cannot be driven on the road legally.

Andy

Mice_Elf
07-02-2005, 04:01 PM

It is insured Third party under your insurance, if you use it in such a way.

Essentially, what is being stated here is this: cars are not insured, drivers are.

Hth C.A.

Old Jun 21st, 2011, 23:53   #17
a.l.2810

All cars on the road from today must be covered by valid insurance unless declared sorn. Getting stopped on the way to mot a car would be a terrible way to end the day. If you can't prove there is valid insurance for that vehicle.And if it aint on the database you are going no further in that car.
Would you honestly risk it?
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 00:35   #18
SteveP
300 Maniac

If it were me I'd just get a temp policy and drive it to an MOT. However, seems like this wont be an issue as the original poster is going to put it through an MOT. Judging by the condition of the rest of the car I can't see it failing on much/anything.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 17:35   #19
a.l.2810

Your right some insurers allow you to add another car on a temp basis. Should get a decent price for it with the mot. Gone back to look at the pics a few times.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 11:58   #20
johnystik

The car now has a nice new M.O.T certificate, passed with no problems, also got a new cam belt and fan belts, the cap who done the M.O.T was very impressed with the car and reckond I should be asking at least £2000 for it, sounds a lot to me.
I'll tax it at the begining of the month, also insured it for 28 days so I've got that long to get it sold.

John
johnystik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnystik For This Useful Post: