Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETM Woes

Views : 3046

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2012, 12:50   #1
MrH

Default ETM Woes

Before I sit down to watch Liverpool vs Man Utd I need a few questions answering.

I've had ETM issues on my 00' C70 2.0T, crap idle, intermittant ETS light which was cleared by switching the car off and restarting, but would usually come back. This happened at any time it felt like it.

So I have had the etm off and refurbished by the chap on ebay who offers the service. Fitted it and fired it up....

It runs, and idles normally which is great, however the ETS light is now on permanently.

Read the fault codes with the laptop and it threw up these:

P1613
P1608
P0124

The last one appears to be an accelerator pedal fault, which I have on order and should get on Monday.

What does everyone make of this, should I take the etm off again and get it checked out again (2 years warranty) or is there something I'm missing completely.

Cheers
Andy
MrH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 16:10   #2
MrH

Well match over, a great win for Liverpool.

Just been and had the ignition on for 15 mins as I have read that helps sometimes....

No joy, fires up, but constant ETS light.....
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 17:20   #3
mikealder
VOC Member

Reset the ECU codes take it for a drive and scan it again to see whats still active.

The ETS light can be triggered by a number of things such as inlet manifold gasket leaking, the accelerator pedal position transmitter or the usual culprit the ETM - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 17:29   #4
MrH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Reset the ECU codes take it for a drive and scan it again to see whats still active.

The ETS light can be triggered by a number of things such as inlet manifold gasket leaking, the accelerator pedal position transmitter or the usual culprit the ETM - Mike
Those codes are the ones that appear after resetting them, reset them several times and they keep coming back...

Inlet manifold leaking....... interesting... I have 2 bolts missing from the manifold as they fell into the black hole of the engine bay when putting them in. I've got some on order which should arrive Monday or tuesday. Obviously I know that running with the bolts missing will cause crappy running in general but was unaware that it could cause the ETS light to come on.

Need to get this sorted soon, I usually work on my classic Mini (summer car) but am using that while the C70 is off the road........ There's a hell of a lot more faff with the Volvo, and it's really not Mini weather at the minute!!!

Cheers
Andy
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 21:40   #5
Jameshow

Hi Andy
which guy on ebay does etm refurb?
Have you checked maf.
Rubbing cables?

I have hunting idle and jolt when coming off gas. Etm suspected!!!

Yours James
Jameshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 08:06   #6
MrH

I've checked wiring and the maf is fine, car won't start at all without it plugged in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1208447864...toredirect=off that's where I got mine done, very fast turnaround.

As for the jolt, check the upper engine steady, the rubber in mine is now broken wwhich I think the jolting when in limp home mode may have helped to break!
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 20:22   #7
MrH

Put a new pedal on tonight, still the same.

If the new manifold bolts don't fix it (I'm not hopeful) then I'll be taking the etm off again and getting it checked out... Grr
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 20:16   #8
MrH

Success!!!

I wont say what was wrong for fear of eternal mocking but the sound of 6k revs and the turbo whistle are music to my ears..... even if it did fill the garage full of exhaust!!
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 20:28   #9
mikealder
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH View Post
I wont say what was wrong for fear of eternal mocking
Result, but at least let us know what was wrong as it will nodoubt be of help to someone else at a future point, lets face it we have all made mistakes, the inteligent part is to learn from them so you don't do it twice, your story might avoid someone doing the same thing in the first place - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 20:36   #10
MrH

True...

Turns out that like all things, things dont work when you dont connect them up properly....

Checked the connection from the ETM to the loom, pushed it a bit and it clicked into place....and surprisingly it worked after that!

I'm renowned for making stupid mistakes, so this is normal working practice for me. I'm just glad it's running again. Now I have 2 pedals and a maf to ebay to recoup my losses.

Got it fixed just in time as the mini is leaking petrol into the boot so that needs addressing next.

Moral of the story...... connectors click into place!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MrH For This Useful Post: