Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PDF repair manual?

Views : 992

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2018, 15:57   #1
erv77

Default PDF repair manual?

Bought a well looked after 2008 XC90 Lux last week 90k . Owners separating hence why it's due a major service (want to do cam belt also). I've not finished researching and reading up on VIDA and DICE, so in the interim can anyone point me to a PDF version of the repair manual so I can get on with the service?!

Much appreciated in advance.

NB do the dials (speedo, etc.) light up? Seems to be no back lighting - I've searched but appears no one else has had this issue?!
erv77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 16:21   #2
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, they may be set on dim. Is the radio also dim? Check the rotary brightness control just above hand break release.

Cheers john.l

Last edited by john langrick; Jan 16th, 2018 at 17:09.
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 20:37   #3
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I work in Eastleigh, so if you want your codes read with VIDA one lunchtime, give me a shout
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 08:59   #4
erv77

Cheers John, sorry forgot to mention that bit is working - has lights above dash (and radio) and I can adjust the brightness. first Volvo, but thought the dials, numbers on them and needles would be illuminated - and they're not!

Cheers Simon, kind offer - my generic reader says no codes (although I know it would give incorrect codes), but may take you up on that offer!
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 09:29   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erv77 View Post
Cheers John, sorry forgot to mention that bit is working - has lights above dash (and radio) and I can adjust the brightness. first Volvo, but thought the dials, numbers on them and needles would be illuminated - and they're not!

Cheers Simon, kind offer - my generic reader says no codes (although I know it would give incorrect codes), but may take you up on that offer!
The illumination comes on only when it is dark
During daylight or when it is bright inside the car, the illumination is switched off automatically

So check it at night
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 13:34   #6
erv77

cheers Swiss XC90, definitely don't work at night! That's the issue, need a torch to see what speed I'm doing!

I'm guessing the lights behind the dials are kaput - just wondered if there was an easy fix and or guide!

No sign of that repair manual!
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 17:17   #7
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, my understanding is the 'bulbs' are part of the DIM and cannot be accessed/replaced. I think may be led as I have been told. My DIM is less bright than on my old v70 and I did think just replacing bulbs would help but told not an option. I can still see my dials fine at night do I just forget about it, but certainly not as bright as status indicators.

I guess the status indicators, (messages, odometer, time etc) are all OK on yours? These are lit with bulbs (I understand) can be changed individually. I know i certainly had one changed on my old v70.

The other thing I did check on mine is that when you just have daytime lights on (switch fully anticlockwise), the DIM is still lit. On mine, it certainly is. The only thing (I discovered much to my embarrassment) is that full beam will not work.

I guess a full code read with VIDA dice, but if you get no further, I suggest you speak to Lucas at volvodiagnosics.com who should be able to sort for you although may well need to replace dim.

Hope this helps
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 11:21   #8
erv77

Thank you very much John. As it's not a major issue, think I'll leave it till I get a code read. Priority at the moment is a major service and cambelt change - which I plan to DIY! Be interesting to see what the volvo is like to work on compared to my 17yr old e39 touring bmw!
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 15:21   #9
Arjukai

Quote:
Originally Posted by erv77 View Post
Bought a well looked after 2008 XC90 Lux last week 90k . Owners separating hence why it's due a major service (want to do cam belt also). I've not finished researching and reading up on VIDA and DICE, so in the interim can anyone point me to a PDF version of the repair manual so I can get on with the service?!

Much appreciated in advance.

NB do the dials (speedo, etc.) light up? Seems to be no back lighting - I've searched but appears no one else has had this issue?!
Does anybody has and can share service manual for 2008 XC90 Executive trim?
Arjukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 16:04   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjukai View Post
Does anybody has and can share service manual for 2008 XC90 Executive trim?
Everything is in VIDA
Literally everything:
  • Parts
  • Pictures
  • Diagnostics and Fault Clearing
  • Configuration
  • Live Data
  • Procedures (Diagnosis, Disassembly, Reassembly, Repair)
  • Overview
  • Technical Description
  • Functional Description

I recommend getting and installing VIDA, you'll find much more info than in any other system....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: