Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

connecting a CTEK charger

Views : 602

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2019, 07:06   #11
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dave View Post
I was a bit concerned though by the drop, almost every night, from 100% down to about 80%
Mine does exactly the same thing. Remember, the CTEK battery sense is using voltage, time since last charged, ambient temperature next to the battery, and battery size (entered by you) in an algorithm to calculate an approximate StateOfCharge.
I observe that the more I drive my car, the longer the battery will sit at 100% before it starts to drop off. After a week of no use, the battery SoC will drop to about 80% and then sit there for a long long time.
Less temperature related than you may think: the same behavior occurs at 9°C (Winter garage temperature) and 18°C (Summer garage temp).
For temperature related issues, you need to get down to freezing point.
I parked a 1-year old car for a week when skiing, it sat in the shade at -10°C to -20°C for the entire week, the doors and windows froze closed, I just managed to get one back boor open, and only just managed to start the diesel motor. THAT was a cold battery!

Quote:
A colleague tells me that it's normal for a secondary battery that the low(er) temps at night drop the terminal voltage but it seems to happen in a very precise way as if something was activating and drawing a constant amount of power for a fixed time??
No, I think the "precise" curve it is purely the CTEK SoC algorithm stating that every battery has a nominal self discharge curve, and is applying that. Of course, the car DOES draw power continuously: eg the central locking remote control receiver, the alarm, and the CTEK battery sense all use power all the time. My battery has come down to 12.55V last night after 1 week on no use whatsoever. It will sit there easily above 12V for another 2 weeks.

Quote:
One thing I have noticed is that the "every 5 minutes" reading on the graph isn't synchronised exactly to anything
Yep, that's the battery sense doing a check every 5 minutes. But not locked to any time on your clock. Just an approximate 5min interval.
I complained to CTEK that the displayed graph time intervals are nonsense. The graph should show :00, :05, :15/30/45/60 etc to make it easier for the human mind to understand. But the display issue is nothing to do with the sample period.

Quote:
Do you know how to reset the clock in the monitor or does it do that when connecting to the phone?
Mine just connects when I walk to the car with the app open on the phone. The data is transferred and then the last data sample time is shown, normally within the last 10 minutes.

Quote:
I also found my car tried to connect to the monitor when I was testing the Bluetooth connection (to check if I could stream audio from the phone) which was interesting.
Well, it is Bluetooth after all

Quote:
A good bit of kit though and I am looking forward to using it to monitor how effective the solar charger is going to be when we go to Spain for the winter as when we are there we don't use the car that much (we have elec bikes to get around on).
That's the perfect situation for the CTEK Battery Sense.
And it will give you peace of mind when on holiday, which is great thing to have!
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 21:50   #12
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Thanks Swiss for addressing all the points in your customary thorough manner.

I'm a lot more comfortable now and am pleased I followed your advice in the first place.

Make sure you keep warm this winter...

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harley Dave For This Useful Post: