Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETM replacement Volvo dealer costs - who charges what

Views : 4278

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 12:23   #1
DSK
C70 T5

Default ETM replacement Volvo dealer costs - who charges what

As the price of the ETMs is dropping in general with Volvo UK offering to pay a certain amount towards it, it appears that different dealers are still charging considerably different rates leaving some onwers with a black hole in their wallet - ideally this ETM should have a fixed replacement price nationally at the very least.

So I thought, for those who are curious as to which dealers are charging what, can those who have liased with their local dealer (for either a quote or an actual replacement) post their information below (using the format I have shown below). Hopefully fellow members can then perhaps print a copy and take it with them to their local dealer to help them get their own replacement done at the right price (or use another dealer that's not far from them).

(The purpose of this thread is only for members to list how much their local dealers are charging for ETM replacements).

Quote/ETM Replacement - Quote
Date - 17/5/2007
Dealer - Stratstone Volvo Nottingham (A610)
Price - new ETM supplied, fitted, inc.VAT, with another software download, £289.00
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 19:21   #2
T-5tu

I spoke to the service manager of Rybrook Volvo this morning, and told her under no circumstance, was i prepared to accept a bill of nearly £400 for fitting of a replacement ETM, when people elsewhere in the UK had been charged around £200 for the same job. I threatened them with trading standards and small claims court. Low and behold when i went to collect the car the total bill including VAT came to a more wallet friendly £209.90. The service rep spent about 10 minutes wittering on about how the original quote had been a mistake and something to do with labour costs which they charged to Volvo uk blah blah blah..
T-5tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 20:22   #3
pipe&slippers

Default Replaced E T M

Bought a 99 t reg s80 displaying the usual ETM issues i discovered
why to late, Phoned parkside volvo Orpington who quoted £380
to replace (gulp) decided to bite the bullet and throw good money after
bad.

I was not prepared to argue the point or play the blame game i just needed a
car that worked properly.

Collected the car next day and was presented with a bill for £194 they informed me that they had tried the ECU upgrade with no luck (surprise)
so fitted a replacement ETM as instructed car is now 99% better.

As a footnote i was given a list of "advisory points" which included a list of
blown bulbs (sidelight repeaters reg light etc) which were still working fine.......and also advised that the wiper blades need replacing(i changed them myself less than a week before) also the washer jets needed replacing, However they still manage to clean the screen of the car behind as well as mine ?????

Anyway much better now just wish i had read this forum first,

Great site thanks guys
pipe&slippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 00:24   #4
DSK
C70 T5

Taken from T-5tu's post

Quote/ETM Replacement - Replacement
Date - n/a
Dealer - Rybrook Volvo
Price - £209.90
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 00:27   #5
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe&slippers View Post
pipe & slippers
Quote/ETM Replacement - Replacement
Date - n/a
Dealer - parkside volvo Orpington
Price - £194
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 10:18   #6
BigJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-5tu View Post
I spoke to the service manager of Rybrook Volvo this morning, and told her under no circumstance, was i prepared to accept a bill of nearly £400 for fitting of a replacement ETM, when people elsewhere in the UK had been charged around £200 for the same job. I threatened them with trading standards and small claims court. Low and behold when i went to collect the car the total bill including VAT came to a more wallet friendly £209.90.
Was that Rybrook in Warrington? I ask only because mine will be going there and wish to be prepared.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 10:33   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Any "contribution" to the cost of a new ETM is made by volvo uk NOT the individual dealer , the amount if any they will contribute will depend on the service history , mileage etc . You cant expect a contribution if you have 200,000 miles and never had it serviced at a dealer for example . on the other hand if you have had it serviced on time and its only done 50000
miles it should be favourable ,At least the price is reasonable now .Remember the variable labour rates too , can vary from £60 to over £100 an hour and the time for non turbo is 54 minutes and turbo 78 minutes to replace the ETM .
The software wont cure an ailing ETM it will just widen the tolerances of the fault codes and messages being posted so that they wont show or let the ECU go into limp home mode unless absolutley necessary ..
Just cleaning the carbon from the throttle butterfly and housing will cure most cases of unstable idle ..

dealers are obilged by law to check your car over for safety when it is with them as a case recently happened at a garage ( not volvo or a volvo dealer ) where a car came in for a small job , bulb replacement or similar , went out and killed two people due to defective tyres . Its called Duty of care ... so bear with them , its free and for your own benefit , bulbs can be out one minute and work the next when they are old .

Last edited by Clan; Jun 24th, 2007 at 10:37.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 11:57   #8
MrRossy

Marshall Volvo Cambridge indicated cleaning and loading the updated software will be covered by Volvo as I have one of the known vehicles effected. If it needs a replcement it will be about £250 + labour but I'll know for sure if/when its required.
MrRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 20:35   #9
jajrst
Volvo S80 SE Owner

Lookers - Hadleigh said I'm looking at about £300. And fobbed me off with lies. He said it fails due to dirt getting caught in it. When i pointed out it was the carbon potentiometer he told me to call Volvo Customer Service :S Also they said I have to call Customer Services for the disocount :S It says on the volvo website to contact the dealer first. Not Impressed...Lookers Chelmsford are a lot better but further away.
jajrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 18:23   #10
mrdave2003
Premier Member

H.R Owen in Colchester have just cleaned mine and upgraded the software free of charge. However, I did to phone volvo UK to confirm which dealers are on their approved list then mentioned this to the service guy at H.R Owen... who seemed quite surprised that it would be FOC! It's worth the call and mentioning it to them. Saved a few £s. The Volvo uk website has a section about this and it does mention on there as discussed above that Volvo-UK will make a 'contribution' to the cost of a replacement ETM. Waiting to see how mine gets on with a clean (61K at the mo). Will post back when the ETM goes!
mrdave2003 is offline   Reply With Quote