Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

More 850 T5 Queries

Views : 1643

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 21:24   #1
KevinG

1. The clutch on my 1996 850 T5 estate intermittently makes a loud high-pitched groaning noise. At the same time clutch operation feels strange. I suspect a dry release bearing. Am I correct in believing this to be a common problem with the 850 and not necessarily indiciative of a new clutch required? I do not know when last replaced.

2. Front electric window switches do not function all the time - the windows go down fine but you have to fiddle with the switch in order to make them go up again. Is this a common fault and is the remedy to inspect/clean the switches?

Many thanks to Chris R for your reply previously.
Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 18:58   #2
Freddie

Default RE: More 850 T5 Queries

I have 96 850GLT with 143k on the clock which does exactly the same. I have been advised that if I can put up with the noise it is nothing to worry about but a new clutch will sort it. I plan to do it myself when time allows which will no doubt save several hundred quid.
Chris
Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 19:04   #3
Simon McL

My 850 GLT with 120 K has been making a similar noise for 30k ! I too was told not to worry but it doesn't sound right to me.

I should imaging that a new clutch is expensive ?

Si
Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 19:34   #4
KevinG

Si,

I heard that prices to the order of 600 GBP are to be expected for a new clutch.

Something to avoid until absolutely essential!
Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 23:05   #5
Simon McL

That's about 25% of my cars value !!!!!!!!!

SI
Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:16   #6
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default 850 T5-R and R clutch

Just to reassure readers with these models; the clutch on the R engines makes a squeal on engagement - this is normal since the clutch is an uprated part.

"Standard" T5 clutches should of course be quiet, so the advice detailed above is accurate.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 14:17   #7
Dave_G

Why should a clutch squeel just because it's uprated?? Does that mean that all performance cars should have a squeeky clutch? It sounds like a poor excuse to me. Perhaps the clutch isn't up to the job. I used to run a highly modified RS2000 which had an uprated clutch fitted and that didn't squeel once.
Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:22   #8
enrm6

Default RE: 850 T5-R and R clutch

Don't know about the 'uprated' bit but my clutch exhibits the same charactersitics. The servicing guys reckon its due to the no-asbestos material that they now use in the clutch that causes the noise but that it is not a sign of anything mechanically wrong. I've also heard this bandied about by ohers so its either a standard response to reassure the natives or its the truth.
enrm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:55   #9
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: 850 T5-R and R clutch

It's just a little chirp as it begins to engage, rather than a long-term squeal which would indicate slippage.

As the other post said, it's due to the different friction materials used - no doubt "performance" drivers on the T5-R and R will tolerate noises that the luxury crowd won't.

After all, many of us have fitted polyurethane top mounts which transmit more engine noise to the cabin in search of better pickup...
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2002, 10:15   #10
Mav_UK

Gotta agree with the RS2000 comment, I run a competition clutch on my spit due to the mods and the only time it made a noise was when the bearing in the center of the flywheel (that holds the input shaft) was worn out, cost me a gearbox that as the input shaft wasn't held firm :(, but other than that quiet anything, and the on a FWD car this shouldn't be an issue as the input shaft isn't as long. Also as for the no asbestos (sorry about teh spelling :) ), no car parts should contain that anymore, so if that was the problem than all would do it (surely?).

One final thing 600quid for a clutch, what the hell is it made of gold! Even my competition cl;utch was only 80 quid (not fitted obviously!) Are the 850 / v70 engines that difficult to unhock from the gearbox? The spit engine is removed from the car compltely (or the gearbox is) for teh clutch and it's still only a mornings work!

Chat later

Stu