Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 oil leak at the front

Views : 12303

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2009, 20:42   #1
jjojjas

Default XC90 oil leak at the front

Evening all.
Just washed the car, 2003 XC90 2.5 diesel, and noticed the false alloy "belly pan" type thing you can see at the front under the bodywork has oil on it. Its dark now, but with a torch I can see it looks like its coming from the very front of the cooler / radiator.
Is there an oil cooler there? is it the round one (like a tube with a coil around it), or the flat traditional radiator type one.
Is it engine oil or steering pump oil?

Any advice welcome, I can't see much so i guess I'll need to dismantle quite a lot to get to it.......

Jas
jjojjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 07:40   #2
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjojjas View Post
Evening all.
Just washed the car, 2003 XC90 2.5 diesel, and noticed the false alloy "belly pan" type thing you can see at the front under the bodywork has oil on it. Its dark now, but with a torch I can see it looks like its coming from the very front of the cooler / radiator.
Is there an oil cooler there? is it the round one (like a tube with a coil around it), or the flat traditional radiator type one.
Is it engine oil or steering pump oil?

Any advice welcome, I can't see much so i guess I'll need to dismantle quite a lot to get to it.......

Jas
At the very bottom is the oil cooler for the Power Steering.
I had a leak from here and the first I knew about it, was when the pump started to make a noise.
Check the header tank oil level.

Leak possibly caused by stone chip. Cooler is too exposed to the elements.

To replace the cooler is a messy job.
The cooler has to be released from support brackets and if you do not want to loose the oil out of the system, the rubber hose to each end of the cooler needs to be clamped, before cutting off the securing clamps. (The clamps are crimped on) To gain access, pull each end (in turn) of the cooler, through the opening in the lower bodywork.

On replacement of the new cooler, you will need a crimping tool, or just use Jubilee clips, to secure the hoses to the cooler.
I watched mine being replaced and it is a fiddly, messy job.

tem.

Last edited by tem; Mar 16th, 2009 at 08:01. Reason: Added text.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 10:36   #3
jjojjas

cheers mate.
I looked this morning and its not clear weather its from the round tube one (presume the power steering from what you say) or the flat one behind it (presumably oil, as theres is a larger one behind that....water I guess).

I'll have to degreas it, jet wash it off then start it up and get under to look for the leak.......heres hoping its the power steering one.

Jas
jjojjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 20:32   #4
keeders

Default Did you find out where the leak came from.....

.....cos I've just noticed that I have what seems to be the same problem. I have a late 04, XC90 2.4 and there are definite traces of oil coming down the front face of the rearmost radiator / heat exchanger which I am guessing is an oil cooler.

I first noticed that the rubber P seal was hanging down (from under the front of the belly pan / fairing and on investigation, it seems the oil had caused it to come away from the underside of the radiator. Looking around for the source of the oil and it seems to be coming from (as best I can tell) midway up the heat exchanger.

Slightly worried as I guess that might be expensive to repair.

Any comments or thoughts gratefully received.
Jeremy
keeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 20:41   #5
200bhp
XC90 03 D5 Auto

Mine had a 'slight leak' which rapidly turned into a large one.

Crankshaft seal had gone, cost £300 - £800 depending where you go.
200bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 21:10   #6
gasman

it may be the intercooler
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 17:00   #7
keeders

Default Thanks......

.....for those replies gents. Much appreciated.

On reflection I would suspect the intercooler (the rearmost radiator in non-technical terminology if I understand correctly). Any thoughts on potential costs - can an intercooler be repaired or is it a replace only job ?

Thanks for your replies again,

Keeders
keeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 12:19   #8
4wheeldriver
Master Member

As a thought, In certain lorries we had problem with intercoolers/radiators getting punctured with stones. Easy and cheap solution was to put a piece of net down the inside of the grill and it kept the bulk of stones out. Im assuming, Tem, that the steering part you referred to is that small cooler part below the bumper?? I would reckon it would be easy to fit black mesh over there to give a bit of protection! We used super glue to attach. Provided you use a dark mesh it wouldnt show up too badly and may save a bit of expense.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 13:04   #9
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
As a thought, In certain lorries we had problem with intercoolers/radiators getting punctured with stones. Easy and cheap solution was to put a piece of net down the inside of the grill and it kept the bulk of stones out. Im assuming, Tem, that the steering part you referred to is that small cooler part below the bumper?? I would reckon it would be easy to fit black mesh over there to give a bit of protection! We used super glue to attach. Provided you use a dark mesh it wouldnt show up too badly and may save a bit of expense.
Yes.
That is the oil cooler for the Power Steering.
A mesh type grill would give it some protection.

I got mine replaced in Perth and they stated that it was the first XC90, they had come across with a leak.
Not that common, by all accounts.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 13:19   #10
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
At the very bottom is the oil cooler for the Power Steering.
Leak possibly caused by stone chip. Cooler is too exposed to the elements.

tem.
Was just a thought after this comment Tem. Didnt know how widespread the problem could be but I knew we had a couple of intercoolers on heavies got with the same thing so came up with this simple fix. Intercoolers werent cheap on them and the mesh was couple of quid. Prevention is better than cure as they say!! lolol

Cheers

4WD