Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 205 issue

Views : 2453

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 21:54   #1
wagonwheels

Default D5 205 issue

I've a 2010 d5 205.Its at 100k and has full history.Coming form a shark performance ph2 xc70 I find the car a bit flat to the point that I wonder if there is something wrong.There are no reported faults on the ECU and it starts and drives fine although there is a hiss from the engine until about 2500rpm but then my old d5 used to be pretty vocal under boost.Ive check boost hoses on top of the engine and the inter cooler looks fine.Mpg is pretty poor at 25mpg but then I do small journeys just now.Could the car have a boost leak and not detect it ? Should I get a smoke test done at the garage as it just seems flat?
1989 240glt
1994 940 d24
wagonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 22:02   #2
tonys1966

Default hiss

check the lower i/c pipe....mine was leaking a bit at join and i replaced the clip with a mikloor type,seems to pick up a bit better now
i do terrible miles /type of driving for a big diesel and get 33/34 mpg...its ex police[possible polestar type map] and manual though...
tonys1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 22:30   #3
wagonwheels

I did check, adjust and tighten the lower boost hose where it goes onto the alloy pipework.Ive had it smoke tested today with only a small leak showing on the intake pipe as it joins the lower pipework.Its not made any difference but oil muck can be seen underneath where the turbos are.Getting worried now but I might get new pipework and seals ordered but informed it's a pig of a job.! Drove another d5 205 xc70 today and it doesn't his like mine and is quicker.
1989 240glt
1994 940 d24
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 10:17   #4
37 RUBY
Master Member

Default Gunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonwheels View Post
?.. but oil muck can be seen underneath where the turbos are.
If there's is gunk on the outside, I wonder what's inside trying to get out. Maybe your turbo vanes are clogged? That could account for lack of power/boost?
Might be worth checking the movement, i.e. is there full movement on the actuator arm.

I take you've had a peer inside the throttle body in case that's clogged up?
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 03:21   #5
wagonwheels

I've not looked inside the throttle no.ill do that and see how choked it is.I didn't think the twin turbo had variable cane turbos? I think I've identified it as a leak from the orange seal where the pipe meets the turbo itself.
1989 240glt
1994 940 d24
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 19:19   #6
PAUL1979

I have the same issue with my 59 plate V70. I’ve not started investigating yet but am only showing in the system an average of 28mpg. I was concerned as I had a non polestar remap for about a year before having it removed as I feared it could have been responsible but the mpg remains poor. In addition the auto box is now very rough when switching between gears, I can only describe it as between cogs it is sustaining the revs but then occasionally really thumps in to the next gear. I’m contemplating a go on a vida diagnostic but can’t afford if ( probably due to how much fuel I’m having to buy!) for a month or two.
PAUL1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 19:21   #7
FollowingGhosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL1979 View Post
I have the same issue with my 59 plate V70. I’ve not started investigating yet but am only showing in the system an average of 28mpg. I was concerned as I had a non polestar remap for about a year before having it removed as I feared it could have been responsible but the mpg remains poor. In addition the auto box is now very rough when switching between gears, I can only describe it as between cogs it is sustaining the revs but then occasionally really thumps in to the next gear. I’m contemplating a go on a vida diagnostic but can’t afford if ( probably due to how much fuel I’m having to buy!) for a month or two.
How many miles do you have? It's worth getting the transmission fluid changed as that'll hopefully fix the thumping before the gearbox gets particularly upset.

Volvo say they're sealed for life but other manufacturers that use the same gearbox suggest 30-40k intervals for changing it. Mine was like a new box when I had it done.
FollowingGhosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 20:00   #8
PAUL1979

The car has just passed 110k. I’ve seen YouTube videos on that subject and thought it might be worth a go but was surprised to not see many mentions of it on this site. I also meant to say that it only happens when I’m driving cautiously or with mechanical sympathy never when in full acceleration but the little rug rat diverted my attention. I’ve had the car since 80k and it has a tow bar fitted but no obvious signs/marks to suggest it was used for any significant towing. It’s good to know someone who has had it done and rectified, perhaps it’s not linked to the remap/mpg issue after all.
PAUL1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 21:50   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingGhosts View Post
How many miles do you have? It's worth getting the transmission fluid changed as that'll hopefully fix the thumping before the gearbox gets particularly upset.

Volvo say they're sealed for life but other manufacturers that use the same gearbox suggest 30-40k intervals for changing it. Mine was like a new box when I had it done.
No , volvo have never said that , there are schedules suggested by volvo too as well just like those other manufacturers every 36000 miles if the car is used as a taxi or used under "Arduous" conditions ...or if you just want it changing , I don't think it is mandatory on any manufacturers service schedule , they all want to keep the cost of servicing down to keep the lease companies happy ,It will increase the cost of the alternate services a lot of course.
With the recent new Volvo service schedules of the last 4 years or so you can tailor your service to suit your needs , You and the service advisor need to be on the ball though. What is equally important is having the latest software , it is always being tweaked .
Thumping into D or 5th to 4th from about 2013-17 is known by the dealer they have a few bulletins to guide them on this the easiest is a re-adaption and software . .
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 22:02   #10
wagonwheels

Clan,your bound to know the common boost leaks on or between the turbos? Looking up the back of the engine there are two black plastic pipes.One has a sort of resonator on,the other is smaller.Are they bad for leaking on these? I just cant see up there even on a lift! I've changed a few xc90 d5 black turbo pipes when they crack and I wondered if this was similar? When speaking to Strathmore Volvo they commented on replacing the orange seals ?
1989 240glt
1994 940 d24