Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Camshaft seizure

Views : 1175

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2019, 21:26   #11
john850kershaw

I have seen these camshafts seize, i have worked on these cars for 36 years and if the oil is not changed at regular intervals the oil clogs up the oil way to the camshaft, the oil comes up the second head bolt on the exhaust manifold side and feeds the camshaft bearings, i have removed camshafts cleaned the bearing faces with wet and dry, removed the head bolt and cleaned, then remove the 2 plugs on the same side of the head as the head bolt and sent a rod down it getting the blockage removed, if my memory is correct the 2 plugs are 10mm headed, once the blockage is clear and the timing belt removed you can try and spin the sprocket that turns the distributor as fast as you can and see if oil comes up the oil ways to the head camshaft bearings, if that happens then just put it back together and change oil and filter and restart, get engine hot and run for a couple of weeks and change oil and filter again when engine is hot.
john850kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to john850kershaw For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 04:00   #12
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

To all who have given advice re camshaft seizure, thank you. It is all serious informative. I hope I never need the advice but I do like to learn.

I have thought for a very long time that older good quality cars are likely to be very well maintained by enthusiasts, but are otherwise in danger of inadequate maintenance as they age because later owners are unlikely to have the funds that original owners had. I am not well heeled myself.

But it puzzles me why people buy a motor car and then fail to even have oil and filter changes done. Is life.

To be controversial, who me? This makes a nonsense of older cars getting exemption from MOT .... what else do some later owners neglect?

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Apr 30th, 2019 at 04:37.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 08:20   #13
CACTUSTWO

John850 & Clifford -
Thanks this is really useful information. I'll be heading to my trusted garage armed with your advice.

Stephen-
In this particular case I bought the car off an enthusiast who gave me a stack of maintenance receipts. I've not done 1000 miles in the car since purchasing it so was planning to take it for a full service in June. I've learnt the hard way!

Thanks for everyone's comments on this post.
CACTUSTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CACTUSTWO For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 11:30   #14
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

I suppose that the crankcase venting system will also point to the condition / service of the engine so all part of regular maintenance- you can still get flushing oils or additives to clean the engine internals- once done then you are back to a regular schedule of filter/oil changes.
Good Luck & enjoy the car!
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 15:35   #15
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

John Kershaw's advice sounds really useful - I for one had no idea how the oil reached the camshaft.

Presumably the bolt must pass through an oil gallery, oil flowing up from below and then out somewhere through a hole at the side of the bolt?
Does that mean the top of the bolt has to be oil-tight - some kind of seal, or just metal to metal, relying on the flange on the bolt head?

I can't identify the two plugs he mentions - are these in the head - next to the 2nd bearing, or outside the cam chamber by the exhaust?
Are all engines the same in this design? It just occured to me that if access is as simple as this it would be easy to check an engine just by removing a plug and giving the starter a spin to see if oil flowed out.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 16:41   #16
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Cactus. It sounds as if your engine has had regular maintenance and has just been unlucky. I suppose that's life init.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 11:42   #17
CACTUSTWO

Managed to get the cover off today and take a few photos of the condition of the cam.
Pic attached (hopefully)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam edit.jpg (254.5 KB, 31 views)
Old May 3rd, 2019, 12:07   #18
CACTUSTWO

Couple more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam front edit.jpg (255.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg cam mid edit.jpg (266.3 KB, 26 views)
Old May 3rd, 2019, 22:36   #19
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Hard to tell on the photos but the cam lobes don’t look particularly damaged- perhaps someone else has an opinion?

The question really though is what damage is hiding under the cam bearing caps- if the top end was starved of oil, instead of there being a film of oil between the cam and the head/bearing cap the two would have been directly touching.

Can you take one off, turn it the other way up and take another photo, that shows the inside of the bearing cap and the surface of the cam it was covering?

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 10:16   #20
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Not enough oil into the head. Blocked oil channel , John wrote about this.
The lobes won't block the cam, even worn out totally.
Remove the caps and post pics from the cam bearings. Both parts, head and camshaft.
Oil change longer overdone on this engine.
Fixable nevertheless
Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote