Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Smart motorways and accidents.

Views : 9152

Replies : 151

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2019, 23:57   #101
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Hmm...

Interesting.

Looks like TheAA didn't give up on this either..
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 00:01   #102
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I salute you, Thomas; I would literally not have any idea of how to do something like that. Congratulations - I'm sure that with your perseverance you will soon have it 'up and running'.

Regards, John.
Hard bit is the re-learning forgotten html basics. And it changed A LOT in these 18 years since I last used it..
Then learning CSS..
Or at least the bits that I needed.

And the worst is still ahead of me: to create a sub-page (there will be few under that "click to learn more" at the bottom) with both simple and detailed explanation of "how it works".

Keeping in mind that some are best taught with help of crayons..
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 11:41   #103
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

And here's a snag...

Website will display fine on desktop/laptop, but on mobile phone all the alignment is gone.

Unless I force mobile to display "desktop version"

So.. I need to find a way for this website to force any browser to open it as desktop, by default..
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 14:07   #104
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

I think I've found it, I'll test in the evening.

Now for the hard part:

Emergency corridors rely on drivers making as much space, the corridor as wide, as possible. To achieve it, cars need to partially at least leave their running lanes.

For that to be possible, such a behaviour would have to be listed in highway code, and that's not likely to happen soon.

Therefore, what I would propose instead, as intermediate measure, is:

Whenever congestion on any kind of motorway or dual lane carriageway causes traffic to stop, ALL drivers are to position themselves:
Drivers in right-most lane- with right wheels on the white solid line, but not beyond, and with at least 4metres of open space from car ahead
Drivers in all other lanes- with left wheels directly next to left broken or solid line that denotes lane division. Passenger cars and small vans to leave at least 4metres if space ahead, bigger vehicles to leave enough space to perform complete lane change with end positioning of vehicle completely parallel to lane.

This, should allow to:
A) stay within regulations if highway code if there is no accident ahead , just a clogged up carriageway

B) allow to further widen the corridor if there is emergency vehicle approaching.

Drivers are to remain "wide" after emergency vehicle passed, as there may be more of these to follow.
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 14:09   #105
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Further down the line, I would propose actual change to highway code that penalises driver for not making clear passage for emergency vehicle, with "inability to do so due to insufficient space ahead of car" being fault of the driver. Read: not an excuse.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 08:55   #106
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

All right, Gents..

It's live.

www.lifecorridor.uk

I would only ask to see clip and read "WHAT" as a bare minimum.

Thank you.

Last edited by ThomasG; Dec 12th, 2019 at 08:57.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 11:31   #107
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post

Therefore, what I would propose instead, as intermediate measure, is:

Whenever congestion on any kind of motorway or dual lane carriageway causes traffic to stop, ALL drivers are to position themselves:
Drivers in right-most lane- with right wheels on the white solid line, but not beyond, and with at least 4metres of open space from car ahead
Drivers in all other lanes- with left wheels directly next to left broken or solid line that denotes lane division. Passenger cars and small vans to leave at least 4metres if space ahead, bigger vehicles to leave enough space to perform complete lane change with end positioning of vehicle completely parallel to lane.

This, should allow to:
A) stay within regulations if highway code if there is no accident ahead , just a clogged up carriageway.
I have experienced this on non motorway dual carriageways here in the north east. There is often congestion and considerable tailbacks on the approach to certain roundabouts at peak times. Two lanes of vehicles either stopped or slowly moving forward. Emergency vehicle seen approaching from behind. Inner lane vehicles move to their left and outer lane vehicles move to their right, thus leaving a corridor for the emergency vehicle to use. Of course this is much easier if each vehicle has left the advised “tyres and tarmac” space between it and the preceding vehicle. The vehicle which is “climbing” into the boot of the preceding vehicle obviously needs to wait for the preceding vehicle to move forward and that driver is often the last one to realise what is going on.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 21:46   #108
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

Good work ThomasG, very impressive. Hopefully it’ll catch on
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Discombobulated For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 14:51   #109
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

At this stage, I'd like to ask a favour.

If you are member of any other forum, even if it's not car related- please tell that forum about this. Let them know.

Thanking in advance.

www.lifecorridor.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 16:51   #110
id5
Premier Member

Posted into the Evoque club forum. I think it is a good idea and needs to put into peoples brains ahead of an accident. It is all about leaving that car space ahead when you have stopped to allow the corridor to form.

I know it does not cater for the tw&t in the rep mobile thinking that it was designed just for them to get to the head of the queue but solving all the problems at once is difficult and at least this is a start.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post: