Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bristol 'going green'

Views : 3811

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2019, 21:54   #11
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I remember SAAB advertising that exact thing back in the 1970's !
Didn’t Volvo fit sort of catalyst in front of the radiator in the 80s or early 90’s that did something similar?
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 21:59   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
Didn’t Volvo fit sort of catalyst in front of the radiator in the 80s or early 90’s that did something similar?
Indeed they did , a special coating on the radiator reacted with the heat to clean the air somehow , It was a token really , it couldn't possibly be measured with the roadside equipment we had today , The catalylic converter they pioneered 3 or 4 years before it was a legal requirement has made a big difference though .
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 22:03   #13
Whyman
Premier Member

Looks like my booking at the Caravan Club site, on Cumberland Road which is well inside the proposed zone, next year will be OK but not possible in 2021.

I suspect the site will have to close if this goes through as the vast majority of the towing vehicles and motor homes are diesels!! The site is already under notice from Bristol City Council who want to redevelop it as a primary school.
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 22:41   #14
steadvex
Master Member

looking at the map I couldn't tell if cabbot circus was in the banned zone, or right on the edge

As the owner of a diesel hybrid, I couldn't find anything if that would be allowed as they seem to say all diesels, I agree with banning older cars, but banning all of one type of fuel source seems crazy to me

Must admit was in London on the weekend, walking thru some of the roads, nearly everything being at least mild hybrid made things a lot nicer, then the odd black cab chugging along, the electric buses are brilliant

Last time I was in London I remember walking along some of the roads and coughing with the pollution, going back a few more years I remember sneezing and the tissues always being black just from a few hours walking around
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 23:57   #15
finnster

I live in Bristol, to be fair I avoid the city centre as much as possible - now I have a perfect excuse.

The Centre is quite polluted and horrendously congested, I live in a suburb to the North of Bristol so escape the issues that the centre has.

Cabot Circus is in the zone for excluded private diesels, which I can see being a big problem in that it will hit anyone looking to go shopping there from outside Bristol. Plus travelling Rugby/Football fans to Ashton gate will have to carefully consider their route and where they park.

Also the Suspension Bridge is in the zone, which for me is a real pain as I often go across it - guess thats out now

I sort of understand why they did it as the NOX levels are too high and Bristol has missed its targets now for years, but some of the boundaries are just going to cause chaos.

Still thats the wonderful Council for you!
finnster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finnster For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 10:17   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
looking at the map I couldn't tell if cabbot circus was in the banned zone, or right on the edge

As the owner of a diesel hybrid, I couldn't find anything if that would be allowed as they seem to say all diesels, I agree with banning older cars, but banning all of one type of fuel source seems crazy to me

Must admit was in London on the weekend, walking thru some of the roads, nearly everything being at least mild hybrid made things a lot nicer, then the odd black cab chugging along, the electric buses are brilliant

Last time I was in London I remember walking along some of the roads and coughing with the pollution, going back a few more years I remember sneezing and the tissues always being black just from a few hours walking around
Nothing is fixed in stone yet , maybe you will be allowed pure electric power for the zone , make sense as that's what hybrids are for , diesel out in the country and electric in the city ..
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 10:22   #17
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnster View Post
I live in a suburb to the North of Bristol so escape the issues that the centre has.
Hmmm...

I was in Stoke Park (up by UWE). OK, it was away from the M4... sort of, and the M32 and Ring Road were near. Ideally it would seem a good place to be; but the telling thing for me was, despite the apparent distance, there was always a 'traffic hum' and the car would get dirty quicker with dust. It could be a blessing to actually go for a walk in the park. Lovely and open; but always the noise of traffic on the M32.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 14:57   #18
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnster View Post

Also the Suspension Bridge is in the zone, which for me is a real pain as I often go across it - guess thats out now
I don't think it is, I think the Portway etc are included in both zones but going over the bridge looks to be OK

I live in Bristol, and have not especially noticed an air quality problem. But the traffic here can be a nightmare... and partly due to daft road redesigns to reduce traffic flows, especially at junctions.

Several places I could name used to have left turn filters and now don't. Meaning longer queues for everyone, and more pollution...

Muller road is a great example of how not to do things... I think there are 12 sets of independently controlled traffic lights in 1.5 miles. Meaning at busy times it barely moves - it now backs up around the roundabout and onto the M32...

Last edited by tofufi; Nov 8th, 2019 at 15:00.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 15:42   #19
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
Does a an engine which complies with the EU6 exhaust standard actually produce an exhaust gas that is cleaner than the polluted air being taken into the car's engine?

If so modern vehicles should be given a welcome into the cities.
Yes, euro 6 and beyond vehicles are incredibly clean. But to recognise that fact takes thought, and thought doesn't raise council funding.
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 18:18   #20
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I wonder if you will get a situation where hauliers and carriers will deliver to a warehouse location outside the zone and then a third party company with an electric fleet will manage the final aspect of the delivery? This could become a model for other city centres?

Any hauliers on here? I'd be interested to hear how they plan to deal with this, assuming they don't just add an additional fee on for city centre deliveries.