Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 D4 - just another new owner's impressions

Views : 1074

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2014, 21:44   #1
craigv60
Master Member

Default V60 D4 - just another new owner's impressions

Well, 500 miles and just over a week into the ownership of my new V60 D4 SE manual in silver.

Having stepped straight out of a MY2012 V60 D3 ES manual (163bhp) it's been interesting finding out how much has changed, and how much has stayed the same.

The ergonomics have stayed the same, so I'm just as happy as I was with the old car. I reckon that Volvo's revised the suspension settings a little, the ride is subtly different and seems a tiny bit harsher than the old car, but maybe the dampers will soften a little as the miles build up.

The cabin is supremely quiet, hardly any road noise at all and the engine is almost inaudible.

The engine. Oh my. I thought the old 5-cylinder D3 was a peach, but the D4 VEA is a cut above. It's even more effortless, with a really satisfying throttle response. The Daily Telegraph's first drive review called the response 'aggressive' -- I wouldn't go that far, but it's instant, direct and lag-free from 1,200rpm upwards, giving you a very firm shove in the back. The engine is creamy smooth, but I do miss the old 5-cylinder warble which added to the character of the car.

Gearbox is very precise and the gate is smaller than the old car -- the action has a more precise, mechanical feel to it. The gear ratios are a bit shorter too, which helps the in-gear overtaking punch. I always felt the old V60 was slightly overgeared, the new ratios match the engine characteristics very well.

I went with the standard dash, not the smart LED one. I really prefer the old-style, twin-dial dash. I reckon the new dash designs are answering questions that nobody asked. That's progress for you.

Have yet to do a proper brim-to-brim fill but have over 400 miles on the current tank with the range showing 320 to empty, so it's looking promising. The trip stats show 50.3mpg from brand-new: anyone know how accurate that is?
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to craigv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2014, 22:44   #2
Thomo206

I've got 8 weeks to go so I like reading all the reviews keep them coming.
Thomo206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2014, 23:56   #3
Bongobobby

A very detailed and informative post. I also look forward to hearing more, as I too have another 8 weeks to wait...
Bongobobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 17:44   #4
andymcp
Premier Member

Nice review, very similar to my experiences so far. Especially on the road noise - the car is just so quiet when cruising along at any speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigv60 View Post
Have yet to do a proper brim-to-brim fill but have over 400 miles on the current tank with the range showing 320 to empty, so it's looking promising. The trip stats show 50.3mpg from brand-new: anyone know how accurate that is?
My trip (albeit over 9000 miles now) is within a mpg or two of the real brim to brim numbers. I have had to check my brim to brim twice though, as the Fuelly sig is lower in here than it is if I visit the site direct. From the sig here it's over 1mpg from the trip, from the actual lifetime mpg on the Fuelly website, the difference is less than one mpg.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 15:01   #5
craigv60
Master Member

Over 2,000 miles up now, just had a family holiday in Wales.

Coming back with me and 4 passengers in the car and everyone's luggage, the overtaking performance on A-roads is really quite remarkable: you're safely past caravans and other slower vehicles much quicker than you'd think. Even just half-throttle really kicks in the afterburners in 4th gear at 40-odd mph. Of course, it's even better without all the extra people and baggage

Average mpg from new is 49.4 brim-to-brim, which is great for the size of car and my driving.
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 15:23   #6
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Very impressive. My wife did not like my V60 but had it been the current D4 rather than the 1.6 Drive I had then I suspect I would still be in one now. Thankfully the XC60 is a lovely alternative and the mpg penalty I pay compared to your V60 is not too great, probably around 3-4 mpg I suspect.

I was down in your neck of the woods at the weekend, Knutsford. I took my kids on a tour of Media City and then onto The Lowry for the BBC kids tv exhibition. If you have not been yet then I would recommend it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 16:02   #7
craigv60
Master Member

@Harvey: bizarre coincidence, I was wandering around Knutsford on Saturday afternoon while my wife & daughter were shopping.
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 16:25   #8
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigv60 View Post
@Harvey: bizarre coincidence, I was wandering around Knutsford on Saturday afternoon while my wife & daughter were shopping.
I grew up there but moved away after university. Did you grow up in Macclesfield? I knew quite a few lads from Kings as I played a lot of sport back then and that was a local derby for us. Happy days, but a long time ago now. Kings had a great PE teacher back then, old school and dedicated. I can't remember his name but it was back in the 80's.

Another tip for you, you may know this one already, Seven Sisters Ice Cream Farm. It is on the Knutsford - Holmes Chapel road. Lovely stuff. Pat a calf, eat a cake or have a top notch ice cream.
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 17:28   #9
craigv60
Master Member

No, just moved here 20-odd years ago ...