Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Roof bars please

Views : 868

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2022, 18:01   #1
GingerMagic

Default Roof bars please

I'm looking for a set of roof bars for my 940 estate - it has roof rails already so it's not the gutter type I need.

There are some on eBay but I'm not looking for generic bars that may or may not fit properly, I would prefer the genuine article if there is such a thing?

Thanks in advance,
Kelv
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2022, 18:18   #2
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerMagic View Post
I'm looking for a set of roof bars for my 940 estate - it has roof rails already so it's not the gutter type I need.

There are some on eBay but I'm not looking for generic bars that may or may not fit properly, I would prefer the genuine article if there is such a thing?

Thanks in advance,
Kelv
Thule are as close to OE I think. I’ve those and some Paddy Hopkirks, not much to pick between them TBH.
Old Nov 20th, 2022, 18:29   #3
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Kelv,

My 940 has the roof rails fitted, so I was looking for some bars to fit, but when I needed them there wasn't much on eBay at the time.

Suggest setting a search alert in eBay if it's not time critical.

Hopefully someone on here may have a spare set no longer needed

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2022, 19:04   #4
GingerMagic

Thanks guys

I'm not especially desperate for some but I know I'll be needing some one day so may as well sort it while I think about it.

I'll look into the Thule and Hopkirk bars, in the meantime I'll just measure the gap between the rails and see if I can find alternative OEM brands the same width.

Kelv
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2022, 00:38   #5
940volvoman
Master Member

It's worth taking a look at Automaxi ones which have height adjustable sides which fit into the gutters, and over the roof rails.That what came on my 940 Celebration when I bought it.

They are commercial grade ones which I leave on the car permanently as I can squeeze 8x4 sheets of plywood etc between them!!
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 22:00   #6
peter burton

Default I have Thule bars

I have a pair of Thule roof bars with ends that fit to the gutters and pads that sit on the roof. These are so much stronger than any other make I have ever used. I have had five kitchen worktops, 8 x 4 plywood sheets, 20 foot canadian canoe, steel poles and all sorts. so easy to fit on and off and no tools needed.
I no longer have a Volvo or car. I would let you have them dirt cheap. I hate them not being used. Courier charge to you may be £15 ish. need to look into.
Much better as wider than the roof rail racks and stronger. I have tried both in multiple Volvo cars over 25 years.
peter burton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter burton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 14:40   #7
peter burton

Default Thule roof bars listed by me on Ebay

I have listed my Thule 853-2341-03 roof bars on Ebay item number 115619966911. I have also listed four feet that fit on the bars to take canoes, ladders, sheet goods etc. and stop them sliding about. item no. 11561990753.
If anyone wants them let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter burton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 17:39   #8
GingerMagic

Thanks, I've been looking at your bars and ends on eBay.

Did you say these fit over the roof rails and onto the gutter, it's hard to tell by the pictures if there is enough height...

Kelv
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 20:56   #9
peter burton

Default 110mm clearance to the roof

Just measured and there is 110mm maybe more from the roof to the underside, I no longer have a Volvo since Forrest bought my V90. I am sure they fit over the roof rails as one of my cars had them fitted. I went for these bars as I had a massive canoe to fit on the roof.
These bars and the resting pads fit so easily and securely taking loads with ease. I had the huge Volvo rack with my first 760GLE but it was not as solid as these bars. They are long bars at 1400mm so you can take 8x4 sheets of board no problem or kitchen worktops.
The little stops canoe mounts that fit on them mean things can be held down an impossible to slide around. I listed on Ebay so you could see the pictures. I did a lot of research to find the best rack for my canoe as it took me ages to find one. You would not be sorry if you got them.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter burton For This Useful Post: