Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar pricing

Views : 3555

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2013, 13:50   #11
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorework View Post
Because you can Polestar a D5 and get more power? Because the D5 badge has more 'street cred' than the D4 badge? Because money is not a deciding factor?
De-badge the car and no-one could tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
And insuring a d5 may be easier and cheaper than insuring a polestar vehicle.
Most likely yes. I am guessing that the difference between a D4 and D5 for insurance costs are very small and would probably be much lower than going for the D4 + Polestar would be.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 14:55   #12
nomorework

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
De-badge the car and no-one could tell
Yep, that's an option, but it's not for me
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 15:05   #13
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorework View Post
Because you can Polestar a D5 and get more power? Because the D5 badge has more 'street cred' than the D4 badge? Because money is not a deciding factor?
I suppose I know what you mean as I thought " mmmm perhaps I will pop 'D6' on the back of my next XC60"...That would provide good forum talk when it was spotted on the road

Just really that I heard that Volvo weren't doing one as it would hamper D5 sales.

It's like the T3 150 s/v60 and the T4 180. The T3 versions were nigh on £7k less than an identical T4, yet you could Polestar a T3 to 180 for a few hundred quid! Didn't make any sense to buy a T4 - both had same engines as well, so it wasn't like the customer was getting an extra turbo or a larger cc!!!

Regards badge and street cred, are people still obsessed with this?...!!

I remember watching a docu on tv many years back where if you had GL or even better GLi on the back of your company Cavalier in the car park - it signified you were 'going places'. There was real panic if you only had L written on the back....lol..!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2014, 20:03   #14
twlogan

So where is the best place to get a polestar upgrade done. Even though it states £830 on the dealers websites every one I have called has quoted me more than this and didn't seem too sure. What should I expect to be paying for a polestar upgrade on an XC60 D3 2012 2.4
twlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 10:07   #15
Crockers
Premier Member

Found this on ebay..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VO...item336d1ee8ad
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 10:17   #16
tangey

I wonder what will be the policy for polestar-ing the new engines.

Is it still the case that the 181 and the 237 (?) engines are still mechanically identical ? To keep the value of the higher one, one assumes that Volvo will delay offering polestar on this engine for a while ?
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 17:52   #17
thanosgr
Thanos

The new D4 - D5 is almost the same with the previous D4 - D5.
Same Displacement and cylinders (new 2.0l 4cylinders, previous 2.4l 5cylinders) but D4 is single turbo, D5 is sequential turbo's.
thanosgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 18:03   #18
Crockers
Premier Member

Are you talking about the 5cylinder or 4 cylinder D4?

If 5 cylinders then both have twin turbos.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 19:14   #19
I-S
Premier Member

Lots of confusion!!!

Let's be clear - Polestar won't touch the old 5 cylinder 2.0 D3/D4 engine, as used in FWD vehicles (Engine code D5204T2).

The 2.4 litre D3/D4 as used in AWD vehicles (D5244T16) is a twin-turbo engine (as Crockers said) and appears to be extraordinarily similar to the D5 other than power output. Polestar will remap this engine from 163BHP to 215BHP.

I test drove an XC70 with this engine and found it horrendously "strangled" when trying to press on on the motorway.

Currently there is no indication of any polestar offering for the D4 181, and it seems unlikely that it will be offered at all (based on it never being offered for the FWD 2.0 D4 in the past).

Out of interest, where did you get the 237bhp figure for the VEA D5 tangy?

Whilst such a figure is perfectly feasible for the VEA D5, I suspect that it won't represent a real-world increase in performance over the 205/215 generation 5-cylinder D5s. The VEA 181 engine is a fraction peakier than even the old 5cyl 2.0 D4, and gets its higher power figure through a little less torque fall off at high revs. The 5 cylinder D5s were up against the limits of the Aisin-Warner 6 speed transmission, especially in Polestar tune, and it seems from my interpretation of what little information their site offers that the new 8 speed transmission isn't specified for oodles of torque either.

I'm expecting that the VEA D5 will probably offer about 420Nm 1750-3000rpm, but then fall off a bit slower than the old engines, leading to peak power at about 4500rpm.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 15:10   #20
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
Lots of confusion!!!

Currently there is no indication of any polestar offering for the D4 181, and it seems unlikely that it will be offered at all (based on it never being offered for the FWD 2.0 D4 in the past).

Out of interest, where did you get the 237bhp figure for the VEA D5 tangy?
rusty memory, I think it was 237, or maybe 231, it was quoted on a document on this board somewhere.