Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo v Mercedes

Views : 4270

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2014, 17:21   #1
swishtony
Master Member

Default Volvo v Mercedes

Arghhhhh, visited a Merc showroom today as a mate is buying one. Straight after I had to go to the Volvo dealer to sign off some paperwork. Amazed at how superior the Mercs seemed in design, feel, quality etc. Also some very reasonably priced ones. It's just as well I paid my deposit as I might have been looking for a Merc forum and asking all the same questions over again!

Only saving grace is that any vehicle they sell that suits my requirements are over my budget. I need something that I step up into, their only models are the proper 4x4 cars that are really expensive. I sat in a few saloons/coupes and getting in and out was as train on my lower back, amazing how low all the floor pans are on their normal models. Beautiful cars though!

The Volvo in immediate comparison just didn't feel as luxurious. I'm steering well clear of any other car dealers for the next few months!
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 17:32   #2
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Be true & faithful

The thing about Merc is that they don't have any SUV (I mean proper SUV and not just one that is actually a family hatchback which has been jacked up) until you arrive at the M Class. And at that price point, after adding options, we're talking serious money. And it's a big car that'll not deliver the handling of your XC60 with the 4C option.

I personally think the cabin quality has improved but I really don't like the way in which those 8" tablets stick out of the dashboard.

Swishy, do not waver now. Stick with it and you won't be disappointed. Frankly, we all want to hear about your car when it comes because you will be able to give us a great steer on the best options we should select when we come up for change again.

Keep the faith.

Arianne
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 17:50   #3
DerekJJ

I agree with Arianne. I have just had two Mercedes and would have had another but for that idiotic 'iPad' lookalike on the dashboard.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 17:58   #4
MikeIOW
Premier Member

You could always nip to a Mazda dealer and look at the CX-5. That would provide you with all the evidence you need that Volvo quality is fantastic in comparison :-)
(& I don't mean to be disparaging about the Mazda....I quite liked it, enjoyed the test drive, but the lack of some options, such as no DAB, and the step up in overall quality when I returned to the Volvo was immense!)

At the end of the day, cars are designed & built to a pricepoint. You can always step up £10-20K+ & rightly expect an improvement....but I feel the Volvo's are actually a pretty good quality motor at the price!

Hold firm, Swishy!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 18:07   #5
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Plus if you think the options list on Volvo was bad (long), take a look at BMW/Mercedes/Audi
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 18:15   #6
Waggatron

Hold the line Swish.

You can't put a price on not being another nameless clone in a German car.

I wouldn't swap my Volvo for an Audi/Merc/BMW for all the tea in China! It just makes you happy every time you get into it.....
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waggatron For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 18:15   #7
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIOW View Post
Plus if you think the options list on Volvo was bad (long), take a look at BMW/Mercedes/Audi
Then at the other end of the scale we have Hyundai (Sante Fe) where Hyundai consider a service plan an option!! The only choice you have to make is colour,gearbox and and ......and that's it I think...!!...

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 19:26   #8
Crockers
Premier Member

Having owned 3 Mercs and now 3 Volvos I think both cars have their pluses and minuses.

As said before no mid sized SUV at MB. But a new GLK is coming out middle of next year and that will be a serious contender.

To throw the cat amongst the pidgeons I also like the new Lexus NX coming out in November. Hybrid petrol. Should be an interesting drive.

Let's face it the XC60 has had a facelift to buy a few more years life and new engines and new model in 2016 should be interesting too.

The new GLK will be based on the new C class. Option of AWD or RWD. Why would anyone want a RWD SUV??,Come winter ...big problems. If it snowed my Mercs sat on the drive.

If all 3 were available now, it would be fun and a nightmare deciding which to go for. Thankfully I'm entrenched in my XC60 and plan to be for a few more years yet.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 19:36   #9
Orca2
I've Been Banned

I looked at Merc after Merc before I bought my V70 ,they were all shot through with rust, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole, it would probably poke right through it.
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 20:41   #10
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I looked at an E class as they were offering great deals on them and I thought it was lovely. The soft touch opening of items on the dash were a real step up. Same as you however, the family wanted a car to step up in and the Mercedes on offer could not compete with the XC60 in terms of size and value. You can compare Lexus, Audio and BMW versions but I would not say that Mercedes have an equivalent. Even on those other models I would stand by the Volvo. They are genuinely very good cars. Keep the faith.