Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PCP coming to an end...

Views : 2459

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2014, 17:12   #11
bobarctor

Agreed. Current main car (that will be replaced by the XC60 I have on order) is 11 years old. Second "tip and station" car is 13 years old.

All being well, I plan to keep the XC60 for at least 10 years.
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 09:16   #12
TobyAnscombe

Many thanks to all who replied. Will give the dealer a chance to make us an offer but going in are very happy to keep the car. Might have to go and read the Polestar thread as if we keep it then thats one thing I'd like to do....

Currently 75% on the keep it side for the reasons listed in the thread.
TobyAnscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 11:13   #13
Considered1
Premier Member

Best time to look at new cars is when you don't need one. Always amazed at what can be achieved with the line..."at the end of the day it's just a car, and I already have one of those"... But you must be prepared to do as you say..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 11:16   #14
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
Best time to look at new cars is when you don't need one. Always amazed at what can be achieved with the line..."at the end of the day it's just a car, and I already have one of those"... But you must be prepared to do as you say..
That is exactly what I did with the last XC60 when the dealer was trying to get me to buy a new model, over 3 months the price got better, goodies thrown in were more attractive and trade in became larger - eventually I caved in when he reached my bottom line, though he was never aware there was a bottom line
Old Aug 31st, 2014, 22:05   #15
TobyAnscombe

Just as an update; went up to the dealer on Saturday; had the chat (and numerous cups of coffee to keep us there!)

Price on a new model is about the same as a 6k and 6-12 month old or cheaper by the time you factor in discounts etc so we played with some numbers....

Came home, logged onto DTD website and Orange Wheels and Car Now to get an idea of prices - seems to be 5k less than dealers best offer so have gone back with a "look, happy to keep the car but could be persuaded but you need to come down on price" email so lets see...

I'm genuinely happy to keep the car, although its due a service and MoT/Tax in the next month - trying to get dealer to agree to extend warranty till Oct if we do go for a new car.

Really surprised by some of the discounts out there! Happy for dealer to get close.. I read on a post here - its just business, nothing personal even if they want to be your best friend while you make your mind up!
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 09:12   #16
Crockers
Premier Member

If you're going to trade in a car you like for the same car then add these factors to the equation.

1. What is the new PCP or whatever cost.
2. What is the cost of borrowing £12000 over 3 years?
3. How much would the garage charge you for a 3 year maintenance agreement.
4. How much would a warranty co charge for 3 years cover?
5. In 2 years time there will be a new model out. That will hit the residues of the newer car much heavier than your current one.
6. Can you let your head rule your heart?
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 11:13   #17
Considered1
Premier Member

If I was replacing a perfectly good D5 AWD with another D5 AWD at the moment I'd wait for a new model.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 11:21   #18
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
If I was replacing a perfectly good D5 AWD with another D5 AWD at the moment I'd wait for a new model.
Could be a long wait

Last edited by wimorrison; Sep 1st, 2014 at 13:10.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 11:58   #19
TobyAnscombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
If you're going to trade in a car you like for the same car then add these factors to the equation.
6. Can you let your head rule your heart?
SHINEY! LOOK AT THE SHINEY!

Ahem - slightly going with heart at the moment. It seems to not cost us much up front (residuals plus a little bit) for the same repayment per month for a D4 AWD rather than the current D5.

Essentially its our only car (other than my racing MG) so having something that is within a warranty and service costs are fixed/paid up front means that we just don't have to worry about it. Its not the cheapest option and we are still not there yet - although the DTD price is quite tempting but the head kicks in....

On the next update - we currently think that our next car will be a 90 as the kids will be about 7 and 5 so the inevitable school runs/hobbies/etc will start and the extra space would be useful. Even I can't justify 63K on a first edition!