Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Damn Satnav !!

Views : 1988

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2014, 11:03   #11
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Ahhh, young children - definitely the ones to train in the tech.

What is it they say?
Anything that exists before you are about 15 is just normal....
....anything arriving between around 15 and 30 is cool technology to be embraced
....and anything coming along after that is the spawn of the devil!!

According to http://mashable.com/2013/12/21/technology-age-comic/, I am about okay with the internet
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 12:39   #12
Thrustyjust

Don't get me started on technology like phones, Mike !! Made my first ebay bid on one last night, was petrified I actually bought ebay. I won it too. Volvo biased, will show them when I have them !!
The wife and the tv means we record so many programmes she had no idea she had pressed the buttons. I even got blamed on a rude 0ver 18 programme , which I had honestly known nothing about LOL !!
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 12:44   #13
bobarctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIOW View Post
Ahhh, young children - definitely the ones to train in the tech.

What is it they say?
Anything that exists before you are about 15 is just normal....
....anything arriving between around 15 and 30 is cool technology to be embraced
....and anything coming along after that is the spawn of the devil!!

According to http://mashable.com/2013/12/21/technology-age-comic/, I am about okay with the internet
It's a ripoff of the late, great Douglas Adams:

“I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.”

― Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 13:21   #14
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Don't be afraid to over rule the satnav. If a turning is dodgy, don't take it. The satnav will just recalculate a new route. Satnavs are not intelligent, they work out A to B routes and take you there. They don't know that one way is over cattle grids and roads from hell, although WMorrisons post early on offers a good tip. My advice is work out the gist of your journey first of all, don't take a bad looking road even if your nice voice tells you to, use it for the last few miles only. Using my Garmin this way has worked fine and it has never let me down. Use it from the beginning and it can be naughty (shudders from experiences in Cornwall, 5m high hedges, single file roads, 2 way traffic, urrgghhhhhhhh)
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 13:39   #15
tem
Premier Member

There is a Garmin Nuvi update available, Version 2015.20

ten.
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 15:08   #16
MikeIOW
Premier Member

@Bobarctor - thanks, I knew I got it from somewhere, but couldn't recall where. Shame on me - I'm a big fan of the late great Mr Adams!!
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 08:22   #17
bobarctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIOW View Post
@Bobarctor - thanks, I knew I got it from somewhere, but couldn't recall where. Shame on me - I'm a big fan of the late great Mr Adams!!
Ah sorry - wasn't accusing you of ripping it off! I thought the link must've been to someone misquoting him.
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 08:53   #18
MikeIOW
Premier Member

*badly* misquoting.....practically made up, eh
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 09:55   #19
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustyjust View Post
Maybe that's the case. Cant see how to change it. I have no idea with the poxy thing. Even cant find how to put a postcode back in it, so punching in the address instead. Almost need to be a genius in computing to use it. I am learning not to be dependant on a very expensive extra. New car buyers, just buy a portable satnav dont spec it. My boss's mini, was easy. My boss's Beemer before that, easy.........Tom Tom, fool proof.......... Volvo ? woohahahahahaha
Getting back on track after the diversions

To check the settings for the SatNav simply choose <Menu> when it is switched on, then choose <Settings> (at bottom of list), then <Route> - the top item shows the route selection type, I use fast with traffic adaption and check the box below so that I can accept any suggested alternatives.

The only little roads I end up on are ones that I choose as it always tries to keep me on the major roads - though the little roads are often nicer

hope this helps
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 10:41   #20
UKDave

I have to say, the only thing I find worse on my new XC60 over the previous is the Satnav. Especially the control you had with the small joystick behind the steering wheel and the OK and Cancel button there. It made scrolling and checking the route so much easier.

Also, you seem to have lost the ability to scroll along the route now, this was very useful to check where it was going to take you.

In my view, a definite downgrade.