Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Damn Satnav !!

Views : 1989

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2014, 11:32   #21
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDave View Post
I have to say, the only thing I find worse on my new XC60 over the previous is the Satnav. Especially the control you had with the small joystick behind the steering wheel and the OK and Cancel button there. It made scrolling and checking the route so much easier.

Also, you seem to have lost the ability to scroll along the route now, this was very useful to check where it was going to take you.

In my view, a definite downgrade.
@UKDave, I have been complaining to Volvo since I received this new model on the Satnav implementation which I also consider to be awful, it is better after the update but still very poor.

Compared to the MMM2 version that you describe a lot of features have been lost, compared to the Sensus a lot of features have been lost and the addition of internet connectivity does not make up for the loss of the features.

I have described here, and to Volvo, as beta software - that is what it feels like to me.
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 11:42   #22
Considered1
Premier Member

I can scroll along the route, or rather watch my son do it!, agreed fiddley but can do it, not sure if this depends on model year.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 11:49   #23
Flux
Premier Member

Not had Nav before so difficult to compare (although better than the one I had on my smartphone).

Maybe it's still work in progress and further updates will improve functionality. Possibly another sensus/nav update that we can download at sometime in the future.

Must say that looking at the functionality on some of the newer cars (even cheaper ones) they do appear to have some great kit installed such as large touch screen etc etc and does make the sensus connect look a little tired already.
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 20:19   #24
frogdare
frog

What I find silly is how the satnav will take you off an A road, onto a very minor road and back to the same A road you were on, just to save a short distance by cutting across a long bend in the A road.

It seems to treat all roads and even rough tracks as all equally useful route options.
frogdare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 20:55   #25
UKDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogdare View Post
What I find silly is how the satnav will take you off an A road, onto a very minor road and back to the same A road you were on, just to save a short distance by cutting across a long bend in the A road.

It seems to treat all roads and even rough tracks as all equally useful route options.
It sounds to me like you have selected the 'shortest' route option, rather than fastest or easiest.
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 21:10   #26
Thrustyjust

Well, before we started our 280 mile journey home. I checked the set up and it was set as the fastest route, so obviously Bristol on the way down, was faster than M5 . Still not sure on the detour round the terraced houses. Maybe theres a historical education route jammed in the there, that the bugger wants us to follow. I think that with the roads being totally jammed last Saturday, it had to make certain odd travel changes, as the route home was pretty straight forward, with the new employed map navigator , mini TJ, aged 11, showing skill that far outweighs his daft mothers abilities. He's hired now !!!
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote