Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat Nav question

Views : 1625

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2014, 12:55   #11
andymcp
Premier Member

I thought you could, glad it's not just my system.

Swishy, if you can remember roughly what the postcodes equate to (assuming you send lots at a time - if you send one then it's obviously easy) then it works fine as is. Sure there's improvements that could be made but it's far from beta. It does make for simpler use if you either clean out one-off destinations or save ones you might reuse, but it's still got some great uses. For example if you search here.com for a postcode and there is somewhere nearby you actually want to head for then you can just right-click where you want to go and send that as a destination instead. I use that a lot where postcodes are less accurate, e.g. a rural area, or where I want the satnav to direct to a particular car park instead of the office I'm visiting.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 13:59   #12
MikeIOW
Premier Member

I guess I will learn in a week....but does anyone know if you can get to the map and pick a *point* as a destination?

(there are times when I may be taking our Explorers to a location to start a hike from, but it will literally be a lay-by or suchlike....no postcode or address to head to!)
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 14:40   #13
uniqueue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIOW View Post
I guess I will learn in a week....but does anyone know if you can get to the map and pick a *point* as a destination?

(there are times when I may be taking our Explorers to a location to start a hike from, but it will literally be a lay-by or suchlike....no postcode or address to head to!)
You can - if you can find the location on the screen or

if you are not a geeky - map type person :-) and plan your pick ups \ drop offs in advance - get your explorers to do it !

or use http://gpx-poi.com/
You can use a google maps \ satellite view insert on that site to identify an exact point on the map and create a GPX file. Or several . Save to a usb stick and upload into volvo sat nav thro the menu options. Should show as a POI with name
uniqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uniqueue For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 15:43   #14
UKDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueue View Post

if you are not a geeky - map type person :-) and plan your pick ups \ drop offs in advance - get your explorers to do it !

You can use a google maps \ satellite view insert on that site to identify an exact point on the map and create a GPX file. Or several . Save to a usb stick and upload into volvo sat nav thro the menu options. Should show as a POI with name
If you use the keypad to scroll the map so that your desired location is under the cursor, just press 5 and that brings up a menu, which should be of use.
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 16:26   #15
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Brilliant!
Sounds fine: I am pretty handy with tech (online mapping for DofE expeditions for a few years now....adjusted a route for our London to Paris bike ride for a "Teasi" bike-Nav I also own!!), so this is all great to read, thanks!
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 17:27   #16
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueue View Post

I posted some detail a few weeks back on creating Volvo readable gpx files - not all gpx files are equal (unfortunately )

If I can find it i will repost - or perhaps someone else knows where the post is.
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 19:38   #17
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
If I can find it i will repost - or perhaps someone else knows where the post is.
Here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=205395
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 21:40   #18
Considered1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
go onto here.com and choose a location then right-click and choose 'send to car' - you will only be able to do this once you have the car and your Volvo ID is linked to the car - you then receive the location you have sent in the car Satnav system to use as a destination

Sounds a lot more useful than it actually is as Here.com doesn't allow you to give a meaningful name to the location you send - would be really usweful if you could send the locations as Tom's House, Mary's House, etc rather than a set of postcodes or lat/long figures. when you have sent half a dozen it becomes very confusing trying to remember that 51'64"N 0'5"W is Fred's House
Iain I definitely edited a location and gave it a name recently, how I did it not sure so I'll try again tomorrow as sadly my car (or my mobile) has no connection outside my house. It also let me add it as a POI so that it would be displayed on the map screen when nearby.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 21:56   #19
Flux
Premier Member

After reading this thread I also tried to edit a destination. Put my own postcode in and edited the postcode under save destinations function and then changed the name to 'home'.

It is now stored in nav and can select 'home' from the saved destinations.

However, must advise that this wasn't done via 'send to car' function as I entered it manually in nav so don't know if that makes any difference to the ability to store.

Last edited by Flux; Aug 28th, 2014 at 21:59.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2014, 07:44   #20
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Chaps, I agree that you can edit the name you want to use once it has been received at the car using the SatNav screens - my gripe is that here.com doesn't allow you to do this when you create the information. It would make it much more user friendly if I could create locations on here.com as Tom's House, Mary's House, etc. It is even more annoying that the GPX schema allows them to do it, just they haven't, in the same way that they haven't implanted routes yet either - routes were meant to be available in March.

As I have consistently said, some good ideas that have been poorly implemented and that have not undergone a rigorous User Acceptance Test with people who actually use the system.