Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Garmin Sat nav mount

Views : 1656

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 12:00   #1
ressull

Default Garmin Sat nav mount

Hi guys,

apologies if this has been posted before, I'm new to this forum and struggling to find my exact requirements on here.

just got out XC60 last week which comes with the Garmin sat nag which is mounted on the A-pillor, drivers side. However, I have seen images where it is mounted in the dash (in cubby hole area that factory fit sat nav would go) and i think it looks much better but i'm struggling to find the mount kit for sale.

Does anyone know if this is available to buy or if it would need to be a custom install?

this is the kind of thing i am looking for but open to suggestions
ressull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 12:39   #2
MikeIOW
Premier Member

looks very "bespoke" to me.....can't say I have seen many beyond the Brodit mounts, which are good, but always look to be "clip on" rather than "fit this cubby hole".
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 13:09   #3
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I have a Brodit mount. It does clip on but it is mighty solid and "clip" does not do it justice. I have mine to the left of the cubby, same height, which means I can also see the music/phone etc display. I have been very impressed by it and would recommend one. The picture on here shows a neat set up but I would find it annoying to have the satnav block the other information sat behind it.

Read this thread for advice and pictures

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ghlight=brodit
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 14:03   #4
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I have a Brodit mount. It does clip on but it is mighty solid and "clip" does not do it justice. I have mine to the left of the cubby, same height, which means I can also see the music/phone etc display. I have been very impressed by it and would recommend one. The picture on here shows a neat set up but I would find it annoying to have the satnav block the other information sat behind it.

Read this thread for advice and pictures

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ghlight=brodit
I suspect that the OP has the older design that has the display on-top of the dash and a 'cave' where everyone now has the 5" display or 7" if they have a satnav fitted
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 14:07   #5
Harvey1512
Premier Member

If that is just a blank space then I certainly understand why it would appeal. Still not seen the product he needs though.
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 14:08   #6
ressull

thanks for your relies.

You are correct, i have the older model with the 'cave' (probably a good way of describing it as it looks pretty bad) where the screen would have been.

Therefore, that is why i liked the image below with the Garmin placed there.

Not sure if it would be possible to 'modify' my current one to fit in the centre dash. I'm sure i could get a bracket of some kind to fit but i like that my current bracket charges the sat nav without running cables.
ressull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 14:15   #7
JGEM

Default Garmin satnav mounting in XC60 - I use gravity!

We've got a 2009 XC60 which is the base model, so just has a blank where the screen (for reversing camera) would be on the more higher spec models. We have a Garmin 1450 satnav, which looks a little bigger than the one pictured and have it slightly angled back so it just sits there in the little rubber tray thing in front of the screen blank plate and has done so quite happily for the last 5000 odd km.

Well, OK, twice when I accelerated really wildly the satnav did fall out of its location and sticking a velcro spot onto the back of it to hold it in place has been on the mental "to do" list for some time. In the meantime I try and refrain from neck snapping accelaration !

We have the power cord going down to the dash power socket and have the excess power cord tucked behind the console. Not the most hugely elegant solution but relatively neat, 100% functional and not so jarringly ugly that it provokes me into expending time finding a prettier solution.
(Have got 2 bathrooms,2 toilets and a laundry to renovate (incl asbestos removal) and half a house to repaint before Xmas)

John
2009 XC60 D5 AWD
JGEM is offline   Reply With Quote