Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"On Call Service Required" keeps coming back

Views : 12437

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 22:57   #1
Wytze

Thumbs down "On Call Service Required" keeps coming back

Dear Forum,

I found a few similar posts on this topic (example: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...highlight=call) which point in a certain direction (back up battery problem). I would appreciate the forums (latest) view on this.

Allow me to provide some facts:
XC90 (my second one), D5 Geartronic, 2007, featuring includes: RTI, phone, On Call. I bought the car from the Volvo local dealer when it was almost 1 year old with approximately 30k km. We are currently at 90k km. Only dealer serviced.

Issue: even shortly after I bought it, it showed the "On Call Service Required" message. After a "reset" by the dealer, it did not show up for about a year, another reset, another year. But, recently (warranty expired...) it keeps coming back.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but ever since I bought the XC90, every now and than the phone forgets some of it settings (speed dials for example). I have also had an occasional "Urgent - airbag service required" (translated from Dutch, so actual English message could be different). Every time, the dealer was able to "reset" the messages. Most recently - again together with the 'On Call Service Required" message - the front power windows could not be operated until the car was stopped/started again. Could be coincidence though.

All has been mentioned to the dealer, but they seem not to be too sure about this all. Last week however, they mentioned a possible issue with a worn out backup battery. IMHO This seems less likely, since I experience the "On Call Service Required' for two years now. However, one of the posts also mention this battery...

Any thoughts?
Any tips I could give to the dealer?
The message "On Call Service Required" is currently present, should I try the 'Fuse 14' trick?

PS: any way I can "reset" myself using my "OBDlink" tool (with SCAN-XL software)?

Regards,
W.
Wytze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 14:21   #2
madnurse

Do you subscribe to "Volvo on Call" ?
I don't and get the error "On Call Deactivated" (because it is not active) Very annoying!
140,000miles. Silver, Black Leather, Aluminium Dash
madnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 20:46   #3
Wytze

I do not subscribe to anything related to On Call, at least not to my knowledge. I did ask the dealer about it when we bought the XC90 but as per his information no action was required from my side. I have read somewhere that there is a basic On Call service FoC while a subscription is needed in case you also (also) want the track-n-trace function. That could by the way be different in different regions/countries. Tried the On Call button once and got a reply from a friendly lady who was able to tell we i was driving, doors unlocked, 3/4 fuel left etc.
W.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 03:05   #4
madnurse

I might go back to Volvo then as I need an activation code to prevent my annoying warning. When i press my button nothing happens.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 17:48   #5
Wytze

Update: tried using the "On Call" service, it worked just fine, despite the error message. The agent on the phone confirmed by the that 2 variants of the On Call service exist: "Safety" en "Safety + Security" each with their own pricing level.
The dealer intends to replace the back-up battery in order to solve the problem.
W.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 19:08   #6
madnurse

My car, every time I turn on the ignition MIL Light activated and this warning!
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 09:46   #7
Frands

Same for me.
Frands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 11:18   #8
XC90 Dave

My car is only 3 months old and the on call service required has activated once, prior to this the service has had to be reset due to the de-activation warning. Is this system, therefore, another XC90 niggle, it would be interesting to see if others have the same problems and if so, what we could get Volvo to do about it? Having said this, I gave the system a try just to make sure it worked and had a very pleasant response telling me what wasn't wrong with my car.
XC90 Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 22:50   #9
madnurse

I got an "activation code" today from main dealer, told that I should input this into the car (via phone menu) and it would call VOC and I would give them some security info then the VOC deactivated error would stop (and VOC would be "activated", I have done this and got the error Wrong activation Code! bugger! called main dealer back and have been told that it (the car) then has a fault, and needs in depth investigation starting with fault code reading then un-limited deeper investigation, charged by the hour!! Called VOC who whilst polite, couldnt offer any help, (for info the number your car calls when you press the "ON CALL" button is "0800 587 9848" they were however able to check that the car indeed is in date on the system untill 2015, has on call service and that I needed to contact the main dealer for an "activation code" I have the code and am assured it is the only code associated with my car (by main dealer). The number I have been given is in the format of "111222444" (a nine digit number) the car however seems to let you enter what you like (so a 2 digit number or a 40 digit number) can anyone confirm they have an activation code of nine digits? what am I missing? surely you ethier offer a service and support it throughout it's activaton regardless of end user cost, or deactivate it so that no warning occours...
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 23:22   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnurse View Post
Do you subscribe to "Volvo on Call" ?
I don't and get the error "On Call Deactivated" (because it is not active) Very annoying!
well get it activated it is free ! and quite an important safety system .