Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"integrated" phone

Views : 3548

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 18:15   #1
rwaw

Default "integrated" phone

Hello all,

Expecting delivery of my first ever XC90 ('07) which has the "comms pack" incl on-board phone.
I understand that this is the type where you slide a SIM card into a holder on the dashboard and subsequently the whole system is integrated (muting speakers, use buttons on steering wheel, receive text messages, use existing phonebook etc).
Sounds great (just like COMAND system on my Merc) but the only problem is where to find a second SIM card in order to keep my current mobile number ??

Been to Vodafone, Carphone Warehouse and "dodgy-but- knowledgeable-corner shop" and they all agree it can't be done.

So on searching previous posts on this subject some of you seem to have been able to obtain a second SIM card AND keep their number.

The other options are:

1. use a bluetooth module but the idea behind integration is exactly to avoid the kind of clutter further modules bring.
2. take SIM card from mobile and insert into slot every time you get into the car. Not practical.
3. divert mobile to second SIM in car but this wouldn't transfer the phonebook, messages, missed calls etc
4. use second SIM and live with 2 mobile numbers which again isn't very practical.
5. use a cradle which again brings a further unsightly clump of plastic onto the dashboard.

Does anybody have any suggestions please ??
Thanks.
rwaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 19:02   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

use a second SIM card just for the car , having a separate number for the car isnt a bad idea as long as your clients and friends and familiy know it . I have heard of a certian network issuing cloned SIM cards cant remember who though ..
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 19:09   #3
apk

I'm looking for an XC, and would like the phone/sat nav, and have been wondering the same, if I were to call my network and tell them the sim was damaged presumably they would issue a new one, and I could then use both ?
apk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 19:39   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

no i dont think so , each works with a unique serial number which works together with the phone number .. they would cancel the lost one for obvious reasons and add the new one ..
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 07:31   #5
George71

Hello,

we have comms pack in our XC90 and we have a second SIM with the same number in the car, I know Orange does this, I am surprised vodaphone does not,..
George71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:30   #6
rwaw

Hi George71,

Is your setup with Orange on a "pay monthly/Business" basis ?
Thanks.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 13:58   #7
George71

hello, its pay monthly, I'm still surprised that vodaphone do not provide the service, I suggest you contact the dealer, they are very helpfull aswell
George71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 17:39   #8
al_bcn

Vodafone does as well, at least in Spain.
Down here the 3 main operators offer a duplicate sim card with a extra monthly cost of about 3 EUR.
I can't believe this can't be done in the UK.
al_bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 21:25   #9
rwaw

Quick update: went into Orange shop today and asked about "multisim"; the girl managed to repeat three times that this was impossible until I mentioned that several people (on this forum) got theirs from Orange.
She then said "yes you can on a business contract" and gave me the helpline number.
Contacted them and found out that for a monthly contract of £30 (cheapest; ex VAT) this is possible for business users only.

Sounds bit steep and not clear why private individuals are excluded but hey.......at least it's possible.

Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 23:27   #10
Ron_XC90
Master Member

I had an integrated phone in my previous car and decided to go for a seperate pay as you go SIM. It is ofcourse not as convenient as you need to manually divert your mobile phone to the car, but a workable and cheap option.
On most mobiles you can actually set different diversions, for example if no answer, divert to car number.
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote