Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 with a 2.0D then SE or R-Design

Views : 2926

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2009, 21:35   #1
MayGetaV70

Default V70 with a 2.0D then SE or R-Design

I'm in the process of looking for a new car. I have the option of two V70s, both will be the 2.0d and I can either have the SE or the R-Design.

Which leads me to the reason why I’ve joined this forum? I'd like to ask a few questions about these cars as I have not driven either yet, but hope to do so in the next few weeks.

I'm a bit miffed about only being able to have the 2.0d but hay. My first thoughts about this engine were, the car ways 1.7 tonne it's not powerful enough, but I can't really find any reviews that knock this engine, they all seem to think it's fast enough and has enough torque to make it work well in the car.

Does anybody have a real driving experience of this car and engine combination, does it work, laden and driver only.

Then it's do I have the SE trim or the R-Design, begin the < side of 40 (just) I prefer the look of the RD, but am concerned that the ride will be too hard and that the bigger 18" wheels will make the turning circle worse than the SE, or will I even notice a difference between the two. Also will it be all show and now go, making the SE the better choice.
MayGetaV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 14:33   #2
dodgyken
Master Member

I can answer some - but not all your questions.

1) 2.0D - sorry not driven the model. I did drive a V50D and found it pretty nippy. But the V70 is a heavy old bertha. Depending on what you drive will depend on what it feels like. Mine a remapped D5 - 210PS/470NM - and after testing a few cars in the last couple of days - I now realise how effectively that combination is at hauling 1900KG around.

You will find the 2.0D may struggle when towing a full load.

2) I am 32 and on my 5th Volvo - and my first new one. I sometimes feel "too young" for the car - but overall it fits my lifestyle - which is the important bit. When racing I have to haul around toolboxes, spare wheels, jacks, race kit, luggage etc. The car swallows all of this - and hauls the 1800KG trailer without issue. It also looks damn good - which brings me to:

3) Mine is a Swiss spec car - in top of the range Summum trim - which provides all the toys. To this I added HEICO Tuning (as above), HEICO 19" Volution X wheels, and HEICO lowering springs. I reckon the car looks superb. As for the driving? The lowered springs reduce some of the body roll - although not all of it - and it is still along way short of driving a 5er estate. The larger wheels and shorter springs seem to improve the ride in my opinion. Dialling out some of the excessive softness that the car has - and firming it up just enough to make it a great place to be.

My record stint is 640KM from Zurich to past Rennes on a run back to the UK - without a break - stepping out for 10 minutes to refuel before the 75minute run to Calais. Awesomely comfortable cars.

Clarkson doesn't like the R-Pack on his XC90 - but on the V70 I wouldn't have a problem. Although you may want to test drive yourself.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 18:55   #3
MayGetaV70

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. When I said laden I meant two front seat passengers, two in the back and a boot full of holiday gear, I have no intention of towing anything. Have owned a VW Bora TDi 130ps which had a very similar torque figure, that was quite quick mid range, but did not weigh the same as the V70about 300kg lighter and loading that up made no real differance to the way it went, kinda hoping the V70 will go like that. I guessing not.

Yours does look nice in titanium grey, it would be that or oyster if I go down the V70 route.
MayGetaV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 18:58   #4
T5R+
V70 Fan

Company car driver? If so, 2.0D is the correct choice.

Driven and owned this variant in a manual form BUT did not suit my style (Generation III 2.0D SE 6-Speed Manual). It is an okay car but lacks oomph when compared to the 2.4 variants.

It is fine as a motorway cruiser, if you do not need to constantly accelerate and like to hold a steady speed. Even 5-up it is okay.

It is also fine around town, but no traffic light racer.

ENSURE you know what it will get to the gallon and DO NOT be fooled by the hype.

I exchanged the 2.0D for a MY 2008 D5 SE SPORTS after seeing the R-Design pictures/specification........do not laugh - because I do not like the exposed single exhaust on the MY2009 and I thought the MY2008 was better spec'd.

My choice would be the R-Design solely for the styling aspects and that interior trim. Think the R-Designs look really good in both V50/V70.

The 18" are not too harsh even with 4C on sport mode.

Word of caution - the 2.0D will have the looks but not the guts. But then again the D5 is not great in 6th at motorway speeds. Will chip my D5 after warranty elapses.

If buying privately - look at the bigger petrol variants.......especially the twin exit exhaust variant!

I bitch about the woeful fuel economy, but after a stressful day at work, it is a great car to climb into.

Best of luck with your choice/decison AND ENSURE AN EXTENDED TEST DRIVE.
T5R+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 08:59   #5
dodgyken
Master Member

Pay the extra and get a remap that maintains your warranty

Mine is more than flexible enough at motorway speeds - but drop a cog and it is brutal. The extra torque has the box getting into high gears very quickly - and will hold them for longer at low revs - this means you can "feel" the full force of the acceleration from 1500rpm.

5 up with a boot full of luggage should be fine - just don't expect it to feel sprightly.

Full size images for you - posted elsewhere but just for you
The bottom one shows the wheels I was trying to choose when I bought the car

Old Jan 21st, 2009, 09:00   #6
dodgyken
Master Member

And as mentioned more than once on this forum - Volvo MPG figures are optimistic - but they do improve over time - mine is a lot better know at 20000km then it was when new.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 19:59   #7
Sandancer

I've had my 2.0d R-Design for 3 months now and it's only done 1400 miles but on the whole its not bad.
It won't eat boy racers away from traffic lights but 2nd & 3rd should let you catch them up, but be wary of a heavy right foot as it can be thirsty but around the doors taking it easy can manage low thirty's.It seems to motor along perfectly happy with one person or five people and a weeks shopping inside but I'm hoping it'll losen off with a few more miles under it's belt.
As for the R-Design / SE battle I went thro exactly the same and came to the conclusion that most of the differences were cosmetic except for
1. the lowered suspension - which hasn't really made much difference except you can throw it into a corner and it doesn't lean and raised an issue with the towbar fitter incase incase it makes the ball height too low.
2. The power steering settings as raised on my thread
And finally the turning circle with 18" wheels and low profiles is very poor - I have a scuffed alloy already to prove it

Hope this helps
Sandancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 08:33   #8
Fat Albert

Smile R-design!

Hi, You are doing the same thing as me...........I'm retired Military on a War Pension and have the same options. I've driven both and the 2.4D. Go for the 2.0D R-Design, I'm orderinging mine next week, with a few optional extras added to it. At the end of the day, it's bloody good value for what it is. The 2.4D was quicker, but not a choice I have, the 2.0D does everything I want it to,............space in the back for a couple of big dogs, reasonable MPG, good for long journeys back down to England (I live near Edinburgh). If you want get in touch and talk about them, as I've spent more than a few weeks looking at the other cars available to me, my email is: andrewlorimer159@aol.com It's worth getting in touch, if you are on a similar 'repayment plan!'.
Fat Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 00:48   #9
avtur

Smile

I'm also looking a V70 2.0D SE. I'm a company car driver (sort of) and have noticed that a V50 SE powershift and the V70 2.0 D SE are within £10 per month the same cost

I've got a V50 on extended test next weekend, but today I took a look at the V70, I really thought it had a feel good factor about it. As much as I would really like to get an auto next time around, the V70 is tempting me to stay manual.

One question I have, I understand that all V70's now have the electronic handbrake, how good is this in real life? What is it like on steep hill starts? I would intend to tow with this this and handbrake performance is quite important.
avtur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 09:01   #10
Fat Albert

Thumbs up

This was the first time I had used a handbrake like this, didn't take long to get used to on my extended drive. Just a bit odd reaching down to your right side, to operate the handle. It is a two stage system, push the button/handle, if on a hill, as you accelerate it releases the handbrake. If on flat ground, you push the handle and then pull it up slightly to disengage the handbrake and drive off. I thought it worked well but haven't tried it towing anything. Can only suggest you try it out.

Last edited by Fat Albert; Feb 2nd, 2009 at 09:04.
Fat Albert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.0d, r-design, v70 advice