Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone with a manual gearbox

Views : 844

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 19:37   #1
Tigerseye

Default Anyone with a manual gearbox

It's not a problem at all but I notice a faint click (and feel it too through the gear stick) when slowing down and changing down. I'm sure it's normal and wonder if it could be anything to do with the reversing gate opening at a slow speed. I'm not that mechanical so that's probably way wide of the mark, but I'd be interested to know what it is.

Any ideas?
Tigerseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 12:26   #2
JonnyFusion

Tigerseye

Hi I have the S80 D5 with a manual gearbox, I have noticed a slight click when slowing down, I had assumed like yourself it was the reverse gear gate opening. I'm at the Volvo garage tomorrow if I remember I will ask.
By the way what engine do you have, I'm just interested in what you think of the economy, I am really unhappy with mine only getting 35MPG my old S60 D5 would return 48MPG no problem and I would get 56MPG on a run this S80 struggles to do 40MPG way short of Volvos quoted figures.

J
JonnyFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 12:46   #3
dodgyken
Master Member

Everyone is happy with the fuel economy. As mentioned on EVERY thread where it is mentioned - mine is now on 20k KM - and is averaging 35MPG (80% at 80mph cruise, 20% town + numerous VERY cold starts).

And mine is a D5 auto with HEICO remap.

At a steady 65mph cruise I will get 50MPG door to door - which is pretty much what Volvo quote.

The Urban figures however are best described as optimistic.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 17:21   #4
Tigerseye

JonnyFusion - like you I have the D5 but with only 2,800 miles on it so my fuel consumption is probably a bit lower until the engine has opened up a bit. To be honest I knew what I was letting myself in for as I looked at the many comments on this site before I ordered. I reckoned that if I was getting 38 - 40 mpg I would be happy enough (I was getting that in my previous car). So far the readout says average MPG is 39.6 with 80/20 motorway and town driving split so I'm not too disappointed at all. The temptation is to use the car's power though and that really does start to knock the mpg down. that being said, I drove it harder the other day on the motorway and it steadied out at 35 - 36 which is not disastrous.
I understand the concern of previous D5 drivers though. The way I see it is that if I returned 38 mpg compared to 42mpg (probably most would be happy with that) it would only save me £7 - 8 over a full tank.
Tigerseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:09   #5
dodgyken
Master Member

With the D5 (standard) you have 400NM of torque to play with - go and enjoy it. It is bloody fantastic. High gear - steady firm throttle and she just motors. Once up to say 30-40mph - the acceleration is brutal and linear to 120mph (where road laws allow).

I can moan about the economy as well as anyone, and it isn't as good as I hoped - but 2 fingers to it. The car is a superb companion - from my regular weekend jaunt from Zurich to Chur (for snow action) - to crossing Europe in mammoth steps (640km without a stop!!!!) - to towing 1800KG of race-car and trailer with ease - to shifting our belongs from the UK to Switzerland. And to do all that in extreme comfort, with a stonkingly good soundsystem, relatively economically - and to provide a huge torque grin when needed.

It ain't perfect - but the longer I have the car the happier I am with it.

Additionally, everyone who has been the car has said how comfortable it is. I spent a couple of weekends ferrying friends, journalists and sponsors around in it - and all commented what a nice place it is to be - 5 up with a full boot is not a problem. We had to cater for the end of season party at Monza - we bought vast quanities of beer, wine and food - and you know what - we didn't even have to lower the rear seats.

Would I buy it again? The longer I own the car, the more likely I am to say YES!

In the meantime, get yourselves a warranty secure remap to 210PS and 470NM - it is even more enjoyable
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote