Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is that even possible??? -38 mpg out of a 2.0 N/A 740 Estate

Views : 1651

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2019, 18:15   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

[QUOTE=Ian21401;2495970]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Big engine, light car, engine doesn't have to work too hard so economy is generally better.

Smaller engine generally has to work harder so uses as much.Maybe the carbs needed balancing on the TC Sptifire powered Herald - i remember one of my V* SD1s dropped to about 18mpg because the carbs neeeded balancing.

I balanced the carbs by ear with the sports air cleaners removed and listening to each carb with a length of pipe and funnel pressed to my ear. Only way I knew at the time.
I tried that way originally and made things worse - i used a Gunsons Carbalancer on my V8s and other TC cars i owned/tuned.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gunson-Ca...r/170897369733

About the only way to get it right as you can actually see what the carbs are doing.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 14:12   #22
Ian21401
Premier Member

Those were the days. It’s all history now. Took the twin carbs off when I transferred the engine to a Herald estate when the kids and a dog came along. Don’t think I’ll ever have a twin carb. engine again.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 16:02   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Those were the days. It’s all history now. Took the twin carbs off when I transferred the engine to a Herald estate when the kids and a dog came along. Don’t think I’ll ever have a twin carb. engine again.
Pretty much the same here. I doubt i'll ever own a twin carb engine again, every Volvo i've owned since about 1990 has been fuel injection (except a 340GL 1.7 that i bought to sell on), in fact almost every other car since about the same time has been fuel injected so unless i win the lottery and buy some of my "dream classics", the chances of me owning anything with carbs (single or multiple) are somewhere between anorexic and none!
Even then, i have plans to retro-fit a later version of the same engine in some of those dream classics that has fuel injection so the old carbs would be polished and put on the mantelpiece!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 17:12   #24
Ian21401
Premier Member

Will SWMBO allow that on the mantel piece? Way back one of my mates had old pistons as ashtrays, upside down with the lower part cut off half way down the gudgeon pin hole.
When daughter was looking for her first car back in 1993, she bought a used Ford Orion with a carb. At that time any car with fuel injection was much more expensive to insure.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 18:58   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Will SWMBO allow that on the mantel piece? Way back one of my mates had old pistons as ashtrays, upside down with the lower part cut off half way down the gudgeon pin hole.
When daughter was looking for her first car back in 1993, she bought a used Ford Orion with a carb. At that time any car with fuel injection was much more expensive to insure.
At the moment she doesn't get a say in the matter as we don't live together - by the time that happens, if i do win the lottery and have a "trophy" pair of twin carbs all polished up on the mantelpiece i might have trained her to appreciate them - i hope!

Reading your answer, i should have been a bit more specific when i said any car i owned since 1990 - i meant to say registered from that date on. Also owned a few registered as early as 1979 with fuel injection - i still owned a few cars in the 90s (and even a couple in the noughties) with carbs but they were generally older cars.

Old Feb 16th, 2019, 23:33   #26
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

As it happens, 'LS' my own very first Volvo - a 1972 (K) 145E - which I bought for £600 in 1984, was fuel injected, although many carburettored ones followed!

Regards, John.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 23:46   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
As it happens, 'LS' my own very first Volvo - a 1972 (K) 145E - which I bought for £600 in 1984, was fuel injected, although many carburettored ones followed!

Regards, John.
My first Volvo was a 145DL with the B20A (single carb for those aren't familiar with the OHV version) engine John - GOT455K if memory serves correctly but may have been GOT445K - always wanted the 135bhp B20E, D-Jetronic fueled injection engine though!

There was also a low compression (8.7:1 i think it was) B20F with about 118bhp and a lot less torque than the 10:1 (i think) of the B20E and either would have transformed the meagre B20A (82bhp if memory serves) into a fire-breathing monster by comparison!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 08:52   #28
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Got it by default, 'LS'. We saw it on holiday in Bournemouth, thought 'that'll do nicely', bought it and drove it back to Derby. It was a nice car, but not without it's problems.

The last time that I played with carbs was on my Raleigh mopeds, which I had until quite recently, but they were simple in the extreme when compared to those on a car - I too have balanced twin SUs by ear (on an MG Magnette) in an earlier life!

Regards, John.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 10:35   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Got it by default, 'LS'. We saw it on holiday in Bournemouth, thought 'that'll do nicely', bought it and drove it back to Derby. It was a nice car, but not without it's problems.

The last time that I played with carbs was on my Raleigh mopeds, which I had until quite recently, but they were simple in the extreme when compared to those on a car - I too have balanced twin SUs by ear (on an MG Magnette) in an earlier life!

Regards, John.
Back in 1984, there was a maxim in the area - don't buy a used car from Bournemouth!

With hindsight, i think it was because all the traders in the surrounding areas would send their dodgy cars to Bournemouth in the hope/belief that the retirees (of whom there were many at the time) would buy the car and just pootle about in it so whatever faults it had would outlast whatever guarantee it was sold with.

However, if it was a one owner from new car with full history, that obviously didn't apply. Also if the car was being sold by a fresh retiree who had recently moved there and decided they either no longer need a car or at least not a big one, you could usually pick up a bargain.

Old Feb 24th, 2019, 21:54   #30
panda529e699

Got 38.4 MPG on a 380 mile trip, 60 percent motorway, and rest dual carriageway , or A roads, and 25miles on B roads. Was pleased with that, as it was windy and raining all the way, will see what the return is like. Engine is B230E. We were swapping cars over, and the other vehicle Honda 2.2 CRV Diesel, only got 40MPG on the return journey, no wind or rain.
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post: