Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B200F cylinder head -- a cry for help!

Views : 760

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2019, 20:47   #1
mister grimsdale

Default B200F cylinder head -- a cry for help!

My old faithful 1994 940 Wentworth LPT has overheated and warped its cylinder head. The garage (who I trust) have pronounced the head too warped to be repaired; that may well be because it was previously skimmed after a very severe overheating episode many years ago. So I'm now in urgent need of a cylinder head, whilst also not being knowledgeable as to which heads will be suitable. Does anyone out there have a straight head for sale, or one suitable for reconditioning? Many thanks in advance.
mister grimsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 09:49   #2
omc 47
VOC Member

Hi,
l have a complete Wentworth engine sat outside my workshop, l altered the back of a Peugeot at a roundabout many years ago and sadly broke the car.
lt has been covered up and l see no reason why it should not do the job although l've had some of the manifold studs, l'm a bit reluctant to split but for the right reasons l will consider it.

You see....... l still run a Wentworth and parts are getting difficult, also bear in mind l'm in WR11 7PD area for collection if need be.

Andy 07730387598
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 20:22   #3
mister grimsdale

Could just be a lifesaver. I've tried to phone but you weren't about -- when's a good time?

Phil
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 22:14   #4
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister grimsdale View Post
Could just be a lifesaver. I've tried to phone but you weren't about -- when's a good time?

Phil
Sorry Phil,
had to deal with my grandsons Fiesta this afternoon and left my phone on the bench.
Anytime is OK to be fair just ring again and l should answer, l could ring you but it's getting late now and l never invade peoples nocturnal habits!!!!
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 20:36   #5
mister grimsdale

Just to follow up -- the car is back on the road with a replacement cylinder head, and running nicely. Many, many thanks to Andy for the necessary.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mister grimsdale For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 22:46   #6
bob12
bob12

Brilliant ...
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 12:52   #7
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Just to follow up -- the car is back on the road with a replacement cylinder head, and running nicely. Many, many thanks to Andy for the necessary.
Well thats a welcome relief, I was getting rather worried as l hadn't heard anything since your visit to collect the head and consumption of the obligatory Carrot Cake!!
This Forum is such a game changer for so many Volvo enthusiasts and l was glad to be of some assistance (anyone looking for a 200FT Block in good nick without a head?)
Phil l hope the head continues to give good service for many years to come........ Happy Motoring.....Regards Andy

Last edited by omc 47; Oct 6th, 2019 at 13:03.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 13:46   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
what was the cause of the dramatic overheat ? you can usually get away with it if you stop as soon as you notice anything ...
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 19:23   #9
mister grimsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
what was the cause of the dramatic overheat ? you can usually get away with it if you stop as soon as you notice anything ...
I'm not sure what the primary cause was, though it seems likely that it was failure of the pipe between the water pump and the block; and I can't be sure how long it was before I noticed. We were cruising on the M20 in the early morning. Noticed I had a lambda light, looked at the temperature gauge and it was on the stop. Pulled over and got lots of steam.

But then the car was recovered to Ashford, where the water pump and pipe were replaced and _then_ they told me the head gasket was 'weeping a bit'. They thought it would probably be OK to drive it carefully back to base (about 60 miles) where I could get it looked at. In fact I got only a short distance before it became apparent that it wasn't happy at all, and the journey was rather fraught, with frequent stops. It did stay out of the red, but was a fair bit hotter than it should have been -- but it wasn't obviously worse at the end than at the start of the journey.

Nowhere near as dramatic, though, as the previous overheat, some twelve years ago and not long after I bought the car. When I acquired it, it didn't have a functioning temperature gauge, and I foolishly didn't immediately replace it. I didn't notice the overheating until it started making odd noises and losing power. On that occasion it melted the timing belt cover, so I think we may assume it got quite hot... I think that probably explains why the head couldn't be skimmed a second time.
The Following User Says Thank You to mister grimsdale For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 19:40   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what the primary cause was, though it seems likely that it was failure of the pipe between the water pump and the block; and I can't be sure how long it was before I noticed. We were cruising on the M20 in the early morning. Noticed I had a lambda light, looked at the temperature gauge and it was on the stop. Pulled over and got lots of steam.

But then the car was recovered to Ashford, where the water pump and pipe were replaced and _then_ they told me the head gasket was 'weeping a bit'. They thought it would probably be OK to drive it carefully back to base (about 60 miles) where I could get it looked at. In fact I got only a short distance before it became apparent that it wasn't happy at all, and the journey was rather fraught, with frequent stops. It did stay out of the red, but was a fair bit hotter than it should have been -- but it wasn't obviously worse at the end than at the start of the journey.

Nowhere near as dramatic, though, as the previous overheat, some twelve years ago and not long after I bought the car. When I acquired it, it didn't have a functioning temperature gauge, and I foolishly didn't immediately replace it. I didn't notice the overheating until it started making odd noises and losing power. On that occasion it melted the timing belt cover, so I think we may assume it got quite hot... I think that probably explains why the head couldn't be skimmed a second time.
I guess the engine has not had decent coolant in it for a long while sometime in it's life for the steel heater return pipe to rust through .

A Boss at work had a brand new 760 V6 back in 1982 , his secretary went somewhere in it and drove it until it would drive no longer , all the coolant had gone for some reason , the engine got so hot that all the wiring and plastic bits melted on top of the engine ...