Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which Dashcam??

Views : 1650

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2019, 10:20   #1
Beavis
Premier Member

Default Which Dashcam??

Any dashcam recommendations for c. £100-130?

i've decided to treat myself to a new camera.
my old ones were 1080p/30fps.
would now prefer 1080p/60fps rather than 1440/30fps - as i've heard the higher frame rate is smoother, especially for oncoming vehicles due to more frames per second.

question though relates to the massive black box on the windscreen.
need something that will fit nicely up in the inner top corner of the black box so it doesn't obscure the lower windscreen, and doesn't restrict the sun visor.

i tried this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which turned out to only be 1080p/30fps, so i sent it back as not that clear - although it was a lovely small size and fitted well.

i'm not bothered about an lcd screen - as long as its small and produces a good picture i'll be happy.

seen a few of these nextbase models - but wonder if they are too big to fit up in that part of the windscreen?

wonder what models people have and how they fit in.

thanks.
beavis.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 12:26   #2
roundyuk

I have a Nextbase 512 fitted to my MY19 V60 - great footage and it sits to the left of the Intelisafe module well, well out of view from the driver.

Video quality is bang on, its 1440 at 30fps I believe, and I can always pause and grab the plate of other vehicles - numbers aren't everything, a cheap nasty sensor and lens even if it portrays the numbers isn't going to be great.

I have mine hard wired too...
The Following User Says Thank You to roundyuk For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 13:20   #3
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundyuk View Post
I have a Nextbase 512 fitted to my MY19 V60 - great footage and it sits to the left of the Intelisafe module well, well out of view from the driver.

Video quality is bang on, its 1440 at 30fps I believe, and I can always pause and grab the plate of other vehicles - numbers aren't everything, a cheap nasty sensor and lens even if it portrays the numbers isn't going to be great.

thank you for the recommendation. this was one of the cameras i was thinking of. glad to hear it fits in okay to the left of the intelisafe module.

i was also going to hardwire mine. did you go into the fusebox under the passenger footwell carpet, or piggy back off the cigarette lighter wire? i prefer to do the first, but heard the trim around the doorsill can be tricky to remove whereas the trim down the side of the centre tunnel is easy to pull to access the power from the cigarette lighter.

thanks again.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 13:47   #4
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
I was also going to hardwire mine. did you go into the fusebox under the passenger footwell carpet, or piggy back off the cigarette lighter wire? i prefer to do the first, but heard the trim around the doorsill can be tricky to remove whereas the trim down the side of the centre tunnel is easy to pull to access the power from the cigarette lighter.
Definitely easier off the 12v socket in the centre console. This thread covers it, post 6 onwards, https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288747. Us mere users aren't meant to be able to access the fuses.

Last edited by Wizzpop; Sep 19th, 2019 at 13:56.
Wizzpop is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 15:20   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundyuk View Post

The 512 GW also has the provision to plug in a secondary rear camera , about £40 from the usual places . The screen defaults to a GPS speedometer too which is not really much use in a volvo but ok for other applications ..
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 20:40   #6
Crumpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
Definitely easier off the 12v socket in the centre console. This thread covers it, post 6 onwards, https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288747. Us mere users aren't meant to be able to access the fuses.
Agreed, spent two days trying carefully to disassemble the passenger footwell before reading someone else post the above advice. The fuse box is so hard to access fraught with the unacceptable risk of damaging the sound deafening carpet insulation that the tunnel 12v socket is a much easier and simpler option.

As for cameras, I used the nextbase 512 up front and 412 in the rear on my v90.
Crumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crumpet For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 08:30   #7
roundyuk

My 512 is into the fuse box, carpet is a nightmare and you'll need a smaller fuse adaptor than comes with the hardwire kit. A call to Nextbase and they will send you one, or order one from Amazon.

I'll try and post a video from mine later...

My only negative is that the parking mode is way too sensitive, I always seem to end up with loads of useless video when the car is parked.
The Following User Says Thank You to roundyuk For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 09:46   #8
Quacker
Premier Member

I have many dash cams but the cylindrical ones with no screen are the best, most discrete and convenient to use. Look for DDPai and Goluk, both of which I have fitted in my Volvo, one front and one back. Make sure you install any camera in an area that is cleaned by the wiper blades, which isn’t a problem but one you could miss.
Forget suction cup attachment. Get 3M sticky pad attached cams and set and forget.
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 21:46   #9
MiloXC90

I have just fitted one of these in my new XC90 B5 R Design 18MY. https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/621281 it is tiny, offers a great picture, uses your phone and an app to set up and review and save to your phone instantly. Hard wired it to the fusebox in the passenger footwell with a piggyback fuse. I uses the fuse that controls the pano roof as I know it is switched and if it does blow it would not affect the car. Use the legend in the fusebox to see what each fuse does.

Fitted in under 30 mins and works a treat without affecting the Intelligsafe camera.
MiloXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 22:03   #10
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

I use a Viofo A119 V3

selectable -
2560*1600P 30fps; 2560*1440P 30fps; 1920*1080P 60fps; 1920*1080P 30fps;

I am happy with 1920 1080 60fps.

Full spec on Amazon
Cost £99.99

Might be worth a look

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustyfrog For This Useful Post: