Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Drivers door module.

Views : 730

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2019, 16:31   #1
pinballdave

Default C70 Drivers door module.

I'm the proud new owner of a 'project' C70 (2007), which has a small shopping list of things that require attention.

The main issue appears to be related to the Drivers Door Module attached to the window winder motor, as there are a multitude of symptoms that all have some connection to this unit.

None of the window buttons or the door mirror adjustment controls on the drivers door work. Pressing the buttons to raise or drop all four windows at once, causes the door lock motors to energise in the same manner that they do when you press the door lock/unlock switch.

The door lock is reporting that the door is always open, but the lock microswitch appears to work ok, this also appears to be affecting the central locking, and so I can't lock the car from the remote.

The indicator repeater in the door mirror is also not working, but the bulb is fine.

However, if I open or close the roof, all four windows will drop and raise at the correct times to allow this.

The previous owner says they took it to Ha****ds to fix the window 'but they only made it worse' and told them to go to a Volvo dealer. So there is definitely some unknown history to this one.

The read and foglight button trick is showing that I have DTCs in both door modules (along with almost a full bingo card of the other modules!). So I'm suspecting the next step is going to involve getting myself a DICE, and running through all the codes.

Is there anything I can attempt short of taking it to the main dealer to sort out. Is it possible to replace the DDM/motor with one from a breakers or are they coded?

Could it be that the window motor/DDM has been replaced (it looks clean and might be new), but has not been programmed correctly (or not programmed at all).
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 11:35   #2
MDS40

Not sure if it's the same set up as my S40, but i unplugged the wiring loom for the door and cleaned out the gunk with contact cleaner.
This resolved problems with the lock, windows and heated mirror.
Worth a try.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 16:52   #3
pinballdave

I've been checking the wiring loom and cleaning connectors as I go, but I'm not convinced it's going to be as simple as that. The previous owner says that the car went into Hal**rds to have the window motor replaced, they didn't manage to fix it, and all the rest of these problems were not present before then.

I'm back inside the door again today, and the window motor in that door looks brand new and has a Volvo label on it that has a date of 11.08.2017, so it's definitely not original. The control unit (DDM) part number is 31295171AA, which all the google results appear to indicate is for a C30/S40/V50. So I'm a little concerned whether this is compatible with a C70.

The DDM also has some pins missing from the connectors where there are wires present on the wiring loom. Looking into a the pinouts and wiring diagrams for a few of these the missing pin includes the ground connection for the door lock/door ajar switches, and quite a few of the door mirror adjust signals, both coming from the buttons/joystick and leading to the mirror assembly itself.

So I'm leaning towards the opinion that someone must have fitted the wrong type of door module along with the new motor, and I'm wondering what my options are for finding and fitting the correct type without having to spend a fortune at the main dealer.
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 23:35   #4
pinballdave

After spending my evening looking through wiring diagrams, it appears that early C70s have a window control switch pack, where there are 10 connection wires between the switch pack and the Drivers Door Module attached to the window motor, and there are no electronics inside the switch pack (apart from the switches and illumination LEDs).

C30/S40/V50s and late C70s have a window switch pack with some electronics in it, and only 3 connection wires to the DDM, where the information on which switches are being pressed or which LEDs to light is sent via the LINbus connection that is shared with the rear door module.

From looking at the connections on my window motor/Drivers Door Module, It appears that someone has fitted a late type Motor/DDM as a replacement, and naturally it is not compatible with the early type wiring or switch pack fitted in the car.

The fact that it still manages to operate to lower the windows to allow the roof to operate, when it's clearly the wrong module for the car, gives me some hope that if I can find a correct early unit from a breakers there is a chance that it might work without any messing around with 'software downloads'.

Now all of this is just theory and a bit of guesswork based on a few hours looking at diagrams and connector pinouts. If anyone with a bit more knowledge or experience can confirm (or deny) my assumptions, I would be most grateful!
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 14:30   #5
pinballdave

Just to conclude this thread...

Got a replacement window motor from a breakers yard 2006 C70 and fitted it this afternoon. It seems to have cleared all the fault symptoms reported in the first post, and all is now good with the windows, central locking and door mirrors.

So, if you need to replace the window motor and/or Drivers Door Module on a C70, be aware that there is more than one version and fitting the wrong one will cause all manner of problems. From VIDA part numbers and wiring diagrams, the changeover is somewhere between 2007 and 2008 (chassis <39999 and >40000).
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 17:57   #6
dme123
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballdave View Post
Just to conclude this thread...

Got a replacement window motor from a breakers yard 2006 C70 and fitted it this afternoon. It seems to have cleared all the fault symptoms reported in the first post, and all is now good with the windows, central locking and door mirrors.

So, if you need to replace the window motor and/or Drivers Door Module on a C70, be aware that there is more than one version and fitting the wrong one will cause all manner of problems. From VIDA part numbers and wiring diagrams, the changeover is somewhere between 2007 and 2008 (chassis <39999 and >40000).
There was a minor refresh/facelift for the '08MY so that makes sense. The centre tunnel console is different pre/post facelift, you get silver surrounds on the dials and info screen, the wing mirrors are different, the sat-nav system is updated to use a HDD, and there are loads of electronic changes throughout the car.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote