Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

(Ir)responsible Motor-cycling

Views : 363

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2018, 11:32   #1
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default (Ir)responsible Motor-cycling

I know of a local motorcyclist; he drives his motorcycle very fast indeed, often at speeds well in excess of 100 MPH. His riding style is smooth and fluent; he regularly uses all of the road available to him and his acceleration and braking skills are first class. He is completely focused and practices regularly. In spite all of this, and of being on a race track, he has had the odd spill and broken bone.

When on the road he drives to the IAM (Motorcycle) test standard, mindful of his own and other's safety. I know of other motorcyclists who give up their time to train others, and who do useful things like delivering life-saving blood to hospitals, who also ride to those same standards.

Yesterday, in the early evening, while travelling West on the A6006 between Melton and Rempstone, we were passed at a very high speed by three motorcyclists. We were in a line of cars, on an undulating single carriageway road with a double unbroken centre white line, and travelling at the posted speed limit of 50 MPH. Such was their speed and apparent disregard for other traffic that we feared for their safety, fully expecting them to be lying in a tangled heap on the road round the next bend.

At 50 MPH, that Diesel spillage on the apex of the next bend, or the tractor emerging from the field gateway just beyond it, might be avoided. At 80 to 100, the circumstances may be very different. Do these chaps not realise how vulnerable they are? Do they in fact enjoy the thrill of 'dicing with death', perhaps seeing it as a challenge, or a test of their riding skills?

I have no wish to be a 'kill-joy'. It was a perfect evening for a ride on a 'challenging' road - an ideal occasion for them to enjoy their passion. My very real fear is that if they continue to do so in this way they may not live to do it again tomorrow. It also does a disservice to those motorcyclists who are sensible and law-abiding, as unfortunately they are very likely to be 'tarred with the same brush'.

Do others, especially those seasoned motorcyclists amongst us, share this view?

Regards, John.
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 12:54   #2
DSK
C70 T5

Mates out for blast together by the sounds of it. I see some crazy sh!t in London with bikers filtering in manner that makes me cringe and see some of the most shocking close calls that make me think they are asking to die.

In my younger days, despite being a member of the IAM, when I bought my bike and learned how to ride it properly, I had little self control, often riding to the limits everywhere I went. Decided to take a break as I realised, no matter what control I have, its the unexpected that could easily kill me. As you say, hitting a rock mid corner at 50mph is one thing but, different matter at twice that pace.

I bought a GSXR-1000 a few years ago and I'm the complete opposite on the road of what I used to be. I do not filter outside the permitted guidelines or, feel the need to for that matter. I have no issues sitting and waiting for a 100% safe overtake opportunity. Whilst its boring, I have no issues riding at the permitted speed limits and adhering to them. Perhaps its a combination of growing up, responsibility, needing to keep my licence, having a different outlook on road riding, just enjoy the ride safely and keep the speed for track etc. The roads and standards of motorists are far worse than what they used be years ago so one is at more risk to being taken out through no fault of their own.

I see the idiot motorcyclists the equivalent of idiot car drivers, who do silly things yet when something goes wrong for them or someone refuses to be bullied by them they feel as they are doing no wrong.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post: