Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo UK World Record Attempt March 2019

Views : 91952

Replies : 257

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2019, 10:43   #141
cadaron
VOC member

Brilliant day, great community atmosphere, great to meet people who had come over the channel!

Agree with Welton, numbers grew more than anticipated, and more time to wander around would have been nice. Felt sorry for those who were locked out.

If we ever re-do this event, (watch the USA) then one important observation for next time would be a lot more toilets, placed in groups along the line, saw a lot of males heading into the trees, not sure what the females did though?

Few pics from the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1174.jpg (316.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1186.jpg (377.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1191.jpg (334.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1199.jpg (388.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1172.jpg (239.9 KB, 36 views)
cadaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cadaron For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 11:11   #142
Petey80
Premier Member

What a fantastic event and day.

Here's a link to my pictures, hopefully it works

https://www.flickr.com/photos/163260...57707921733414

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 13:31   #143
joecowan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaron View Post
Brilliant day, great community atmosphere, great to meet people who had come over the channel!

Agree with Welton, numbers grew more than anticipated, and more time to wander around would have been nice. Felt sorry for those who were locked out.

If we ever re-do this event, (watch the USA) then one important observation for next time would be a lot more toilets, placed in groups along the line, saw a lot of males heading into the trees, not sure what the females did though?

Few pics from the day.
Agreed, and thanks for taking a pic of my 244. Great day in the end with a realy good selection of new and old Volvos
joecowan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 14:17   #144
okedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaron View Post

Few pics from the day.
I had to jump the queue a couple of times as our young child couldnt wait. But other than that a very well executed day, especially considering they are not professional event organisers :-)
okedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 20:59   #145
JonathanD
VOC Member

It'll be interesting to find out what the final official numbers tally was. It was definitely lots! Far more Volvos than you could ever hope to look at in your wildest dreams!

I've attached my number, 1144, which sadly was not on a 144 but on my S80 which as it also is a three-box four-door saloon was not an entirely inappropriate car to bear the number.

I did see a pit board hung out with the number 1438 or 1483 (I can't remember which!) on it before being marshalled off the premises, but randomly enough I also ended up at about the same time 'parked' next to someone I know who got his number after all the pre-produced numbers had been used up and his number was higher than 2,000, so perhaps when the pre-produced numbers ran out the manual numbers were started after a gap from a round number like 2,000 to try to keep things simple?

It was great to be able to be part of something special that doesn't happen every day, definitely worth the 300 mile round trip. That said, I did see cars that had come over from Ireland, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and even Latvia! Who knows if it will ever happen again, especially if the existing 570 record has been utterly smashed as it looks like it ought to have been given the amazing turnout. Well done one and all for being there and a massive thank you and well done to everyone involved in organising the event.

I see it has even made the national/international motoring press:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/slideshow/...lvo-gathering’
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4470.jpg (137.2 KB, 3 views)
JonathanD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonathanD For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 13:50   #146
aland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post
It'll be interesting to find out what the final official numbers tally was. It was definitely lots!
Post last night on the 'VOLVO600 Guinness World Record Attempt' Facebook group:

The number is 1574.....please read on:
Hi everyone,*
I wanted to give you news that we have been counting the part 2 forms which we collected from you on Sunday.
The Volvo600 event team can confirm that we have validated all entries and will be submitting our evidence to GWR to claim a new world record for the largest parade of Volvo cars. The number listed below is described as “provisional’ until such a time that Guniess World Records confirm in writing our claim.
The evidence will include:
1) The operations manual which describes how the Attempt was orchestrated.
2) the risk profirmas covering event safety and drone flying
3) a set of accounts to show how funds were raised to confirm no professional organisation has sponsored the event.
4) the aerial video of the parade
5) the ground video of the parade
6) the completed registration forms. Part 2 forms*
7) signed expert witness statements.
We are filing our evidence with Guinness to claim a new world record for 1574 Volvo cars to parade, eclipsing a nine year old standing record set in 2010 by a massive 1004 cars.
On behalf of the Volvo600 Event Team, I would like to pass on sincere thanks to all of you for your support in not only making the event a provisional success, but for your help in raising awareness of Breast Cancer and for supporting a very deserving charity for which you have so far raised an incredible £14,700 and we’re not done yet*👍😎
One last request....can someone please let the Americans know as I think they need to get a much bigger venue*😉👍
I will post again once I receive more news from GWR.
Kindest Millsy

Past: V70 D5, 855 T5, 940, V40 T4, S40
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aland For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 19:13   #147
Dippydog
Premier Member

That is excellent news and a tribute to not only those who rallied to the cause but the event team who put so much into making it possible
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 22:44   #148
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
A little more "free" time to have a more in depth look at the cars would have been nice,but otherwise a great day out and a great turnout-congratulations to all who attended.Do we have official confirmation of the record yet?
1574 but to be confirmed by Guinness in about 6 weeks plus £14,000 plus for the Breast Cancer charity.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 00:19   #149
Waynedance

https://youtu.be/qFsCevtTzPc

Forgive the editing and music.

Thought someone might see themselves.
Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 09:37   #150
Dippydog
Premier Member

Took two of my great granddaughters[one 11yrs old and the other 3yrs]and apart from the time I got to spend with them-and their grandmother/my stepdaughter-the real highlight for me was the look on the kids faces when they saw the car with the cow on its roof.Total madness well done to the owner!Now who/what car got the 600 number that the event was named as?Also who/what car got the final 1574 number?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guinness world record, meet, volvo