Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 R design seats uncomfy

Views : 9131

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2019, 09:18   #21
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCarter View Post
The Inscription seat pad was apparently changed in early 2018 to make it more rigid, this by installing a wire inside the edge of the seat pad. I have the design change document showing this, and I'm sure is what I am feeling.
This. It's been discussed a lot on swedespeed - the change was due to premature wear on early-model inscription seats. If you test inscription and RD seats (both with thigh extenders..) back to back the difference is obvious.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 19:07   #22
TimCarter

Do the R-Design seats have different seat pads?

Last edited by TimCarter; Jun 26th, 2019 at 19:10.
TimCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 19:12   #23
TimCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresco85 View Post
Any pointers on how to get the base of the seats in to that comfortably position to stop the legs hurting, we was ok until we was touring Scotland and it was making my wife's legs go numb and now even on short journeys we feel the metal bar and can't seem to get them into a good position. Have tried putting the front of the seat up high and low but never get to that comfortable position.
I have a V90 CC Pro and the bar inside the seat pad, just before the gap to the leg extenders, is killing me. It is so uncomfortable. I have seen the need to play with the seat adjustments but nothing is helping. The seat base is thin, hard, and uncomfortable as the wire pushes right up, and across, the sitting bones in my backside.

Volvo is saying there is nothing wrong with the seat, even though my car has been in the garage for 6 weeks and the local dealer agrees there is clearly a problem.
TimCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 08:09   #24
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCarter View Post
Do the R-Design seats have different seat pads?
Yes, completely different seat design. RD extender is flatter in the middle with more pronounced side bolsters.

The inscription one is slightly raised and has no side bolsters.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 06:07   #25
Iainmc

I have to say that I have found the seats in my car to be super comfortable and the quickest seat that I have found for a long time to find a comfortable driving position, maybe this is due to coming from 10 years of various BMW ownership?
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 09:01   #26
Berkshirebob

No such ‘hard bar’ across the seat base or extendable bit on my R-Design..

I do find the seats comfortable apart from the height. Even as low as they will go I’m still too high. I’m 6ft, don’t know how you taller guys fit? - maybe I need to lay-down boy racer style..
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 15:11   #27
Haldex
Premier Member

Yeah, RD seats are second to none. It's a bummer that what's supposed to be the comfort/luxury trim in the lineup(s) (Inscription) seems to be the least comfortable option. But from what I have understood it doesn't affect everyone- it seems to depend on height/weight of the occupant..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 18:05   #28
WhatNext?

The only thing I regret not having is "sports seat" on my Momentum XC60

All this talk about the uncomfortable nature of these upgraded seats make me more content I went with a Momentum spec
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 13:09   #29
Crockers
Premier Member

The best car seats I ever experienced were in my 2001 Saab 9-5. Second best we’re in my 2003 Volvo S60.

Now I think they are becoming looks over function. I don’t find them uncomfortable just not as good as in the past. I even find my Golf GTi seats as comfortable.
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 18:51   #30
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshirebob View Post
I do find the seats comfortable apart from the height. Even as low as they will go I’m still too high. I’m 6ft, don’t know how you taller guys fit? - maybe I need to lay-down boy racer style..
I'm 6'5" and only have 34" inside leg, meaning that I have an unusually long back and neck; despite this, I've still got plenty of headroom in my V90, albeit I don't have a sunroof which helps things.

Just wondering whether you're aware that the long flat button for seat height has to be used twice to adjust the height - once for the overall seat height (raise or lower the rearmost part of the button) and once for the angle / front of the seat base (raise or lower the front of the button)? Not sure what else it could be otherwise.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote