Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sealed for life Gearbox?!

Views : 407

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2019, 21:22   #1
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Default Sealed for life Gearbox?!

Recently had a pleasant main dealer surprise! I have the VEA 2015 XC60 with the Aisin 8 speed (velvet like) autobox. I bought it new and paid up front for 5 year free main dealer servicing deal for the princely sum of £500. A bargain in itself. As I tow a considerable amount of time I change the G/box oil every second year, as recommended by Volvo, and at my cost for a reasonable £142. This is a complete powered flush using 15+ ltrs of fluid with a drive round by the engineer between flushes. So imagine my surprise when taking my car in for its final 5 year free service and prepared to pay for the 3rd gearbox flush, to be told that Volvo now state that the 8 speed autobox oil should be changed as part of the 5 year / 90k service as a matter of course, irrespective of towing or harsh use such as being used as a Taxi. That being the case my main dealer included it as part of the main 5 yr service and an inclusive part of my free final service!
So there would seem to be a change to the, lets face it, dubious 'sealed for life'claim for the 8 speed autobox originally stipulated by Volvo. So a heads up to those approaching a 5 year 90k service.
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 21:58   #2
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Maybe just a nice dealer.
On the contrary, it is verification of the 'sealed for life' mentality. They treat transmissions like disposable cartridges! You can maintain them as you know, and if you do youll seldom get problems, but they see it that the box is run into the ground then discarded.
Im guessing this box being included in the 5 year service is to mitigate warranty and 'fit for purpose' claims.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote