Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dealer service stories

Views : 8728

Replies : 99

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2019, 11:11   #1
Deman77
Master Member

Default Dealer service stories

As Volvo sells more and more cars so their dealers service quality drops.
Let’s share some franchises dealer horror stories here.
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 11:19   #2
James77

Their experience has always been average in my experience it's not peaked or dipped, just as expected. What do you expect from a dealer?
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 11:26   #3
Deman77
Master Member

Here is mine.
Dirty hand prints on interior and key leather and grease on carpets, occasional paint chip is something I kind of accepted as price of owning a Volvo but they really got to me this time.
My car came from service yesterday. Everything done, everything fine according to them.
Not quite - didn’t bother with broken vent that I asked to fix and is listed on job list - oh yes we had to order that. No need to tell me.
The software that I double checked with you, you would upgrade was not done. Ironically I did get a little brochure with my invoice showing how much gets updated with volvo software update. Are you sure we did do it. Yes - no stopstart icon on dash. After 10min - Oh yes your car doesn’t talk to computer, most likely has a faulty ODB unit. It’s out of warranty isn’t it? (Waiting... will the customer change his mind and move on) No, it’s extended so you can go and fix it but you didn’t think telling me was important? You think a main dealer service without checking for error codes is ok? Mumble, apology, mumble.
I told them I think mechanic is making an excuse as I had the same experience last year but I wouldn’t put it past them to replace some unit just to save their face though not checking error codes is precious.
Makes you wonder what else they claim to do but don’t bother with. Filters, oil?
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 11:37   #4
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
As Volvo sells more and more cars so their dealers service quality drops.
Let’s share some franchises dealer horror stories here.
Presumably you'll also be happy to hear about good experiences on this same post to give a balanced view, rather than just the negatives?....

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MtillingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 11:38   #5
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Find another dealer. I have had some shocking ones in the past. My current dealer is great and always happy to work with me in an honest way.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 11:40   #6
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo View Post
Presumably you'll also be happy to hear about good experiences on this same post to give a balanced view, rather than just the negatives?....
Indeed. My positive goes to Riverside Doncaster and their master tech Mick.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 11:43   #7
techwatcher
Master Member

I suspect that there are good dealers and not-so-good dealers out there.

Other than one or two minor errors - not stamping the service book on one occasion, TPMS not being reset, again on one occasion, I can honestly say I have nothing but good and sometimes excellent service experience from my dealer whom has had my custom for the past 20+ years.

Deman77, if I had your recent experience i would be sitting down with the dealer service manager to discuss the problems and my expectations. If service didn't improve after that I would find another dealer - they aren't all bad.
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 11:57   #8
familymangreg
Premier Member

Can't fault Ray Chapman in York, best car dealership I have ever encountered, a far more personable service than I've ever had from previous Audi and BMW dealerships. They have really looked after me.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 12:06   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Since Volvo started to use a 3rd part company to gather feedback after customers had their car serviced I find the whole service experience has vastly improved from what it used to be.
My dealer now send out their own feedback survey before the Volvo one gets to you and then acts on anything you are not happy with very promptly.

One bad service I received years ago on my V90 (the original V90 real estate car) and although I booking my car in two weeks in advance, it was a service that required the aux drive belt replaced, when I picked my car up they told me "all done But we did not change the belt as we did not have one in stock" "we will knock £30 off the price (the cost of the belt).
I told them it is a requirement of the service interval and they had two weeks notice to get parts in and I wanted it replaced, it required me to rebook the car in at a later date to get the belt fitted and and after they fitted it the car was making a grinding noise, which required me to take it back again, they told me they could not find anything wrong with it, I took it straight to an indipendant Volvo garage and they told me the alternator bearing was making the noise and was due to too much tension on the drive belt, they adjusted the belt and the noise stopped.
Onother time I booked in for a service before taking it for the MOT, it failed the MOT on suspension mounting rubbers, the service paperwork had a tick in the box to say suspension checked and ok. When questioned the service manager just shrugged and said it was ok when we carried out the service, (the day before). When I picked the car up from the MOT centre they had left it on the ramp, the tech said we have left it on the ramp to show you the mountings, they need attension asap, they were bad.
Then my dealership had the worst customer service I have ever experience, at the time.
Totally different now though. They replaced the whole crew. But now the dealership has just been taken over but happy to say so far the new head tech, and staff have been great.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 12:11   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Here is mine.
Dirty hand prints on interior and key leather and grease on carpets, occasional paint chip is something I kind of accepted as price of owning a Volvo but they really got to me this time.
My car came from service yesterday. Everything done, everything fine according to them.
Not quite - didn’t bother with broken vent that I asked to fix and is listed on job list - oh yes we had to order that. No need to tell me.
The software that I double checked with you, you would upgrade was not done. Ironically I did get a little brochure with my invoice showing how much gets updated with volvo software update. Are you sure we did do it. Yes - no stopstart icon on dash. After 10min - Oh yes your car doesn’t talk to computer, most likely has a faulty ODB unit. It’s out of warranty isn’t it? (Waiting... will the customer change his mind and move on) No, it’s extended so you can go and fix it but you didn’t think telling me was important? You think a main dealer service without checking for error codes is ok? Mumble, apology, mumble.
I told them I think mechanic is making an excuse as I had the same experience last year but I wouldn’t put it past them to replace some unit just to save their face though not checking error codes is precious.
Makes you wonder what else they claim to do but don’t bother with. Filters, oil?
That is really shocking to hear . Volvo dealers are heavily monitored for service quality and you should get a customer quality/satisfaction survey and a call to make you sure you are happy with your experience . Volvo have dealer regional and national league tables too so they are well aware of how their dealers are doing .. and who is at the top and who is at the bottom . It isn't the dealer , what you have is one person who has failed in his duties , is he a new employee or an inexperienced one ? , It is the one that actually looked after your car , who has done a very poor job and it needs sorting out . ok one error can be forgivable but not multiple ones .. It would be interesting to find out who actually did the job .. they are probably in the job only for the money and are taking the shortest time to earn the highest amount of money . some must be down to volvo too for cutting the time for a service on some models down to less than an hour , It's impossible ...
There is also another weakness , Communication between technician and the front desk who are not technical at all ! ask to speak to the person who did your job it might enlighten the situation . I have faith that you oil and filter was changed properly however ...