Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 r design ride?

Views : 1345

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2019, 11:09   #1
Barry.h

Default XC60 r design ride?

Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me what the XC60 r design ride is like without air suspension.
I currently have a 2013 model year XC60 r design and thinking of upgrading to a new model.

Many Thanks
Barry.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 11:31   #2
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry.h View Post
Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me what the XC60 r design ride is like without air suspension.
I currently have a 2013 model year XC60 r design and thinking of upgrading to a new model.

Many Thanks
Without wanting to sound unhelpful, its probably quite difficult for anyone to comment, there as several variables, and one persons comfortable ride is another persons harsh and hard ride. I know I've had several cars over the years which many would argue are on the firmer side of comfortable, but to me, maybe because I haven't had any different, they are fine.

Perhaps someone who has already upgraded could comment on the difference from a 2013 to SPA model. What size wheel do you currently have?

My XC90 has air, but a few months back I had an R-Design with the same size wheels (20s) and no air for a few days. The difference was noteworthy, with the ride on my air soaking up the road imperfections a little more than the non-air car.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 14:51   #3
Haldex
Premier Member

Don't expect it to be harsher- RD setup is just 15% stiffer than standard springs- the handling feels more surefooted mainly due to thicker antiroll bars. I've had a previous-gen XC60 (standard suspension) and a previous-gen V60 after it (also standard suspension..) and then got an SPA XC60 in RD trim- having extensively tested the air, as well as standard and RD suspension. I passed on the air as I didn't feel it improved upon handling or comfort- and I see it as just another layer of complexity on an already complex car. Standard was way too wallowy - and I found RD was just the way I liked it- very much car-like.

Either way- what familymangreg said- suspension is a very subjective topic- I suggest you extensively test all variants before making your decision.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 14:53   #4
Haldex
Premier Member

Btw, mine is on standard RD wheels (19"). The 21" option is not made for French roads..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 20:06   #5
WhatNext?

not a like for like comparison, but I drove an R design XC90 with 20 inch wheels and comparing it to my XC60 Momentum on 18 inch wheels

the R design seats are definitely harder, slightly more uncomfortable, I had a better "feel" for the car - i.e where the wheels are/edges of the car

My XC60 feels much more vague in terms if handling and where the edges of the car actually is and wallowy. It rides so much smoother than the XC90

It's a tough choice, for me, I think it's easier to live with the smoother ride, but every now and then I wish it would handle/feel a bit more sporty

a good compromise might be the R design with air suspension and 19 inch wheels - I suspect not configurable in UK (but haven't checked)

Last edited by WhatNext?; Sep 20th, 2019 at 20:08. Reason: add
WhatNext? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 21:42   #6
justj

As others have inferred, this is quite subjective. Best to test drive one. All I can say is I was also worried but love mine. Not felt it was too firm. My wife has joint issues so can be sensitive to such things and she is perfectly happy.
justj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 06:16   #7
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

I have air suspension on 19". The better way to tell you in words exactly how the ride feels, is to write you down a link. Check this out.

https://youtu.be/V2REHLTut7c

Matt tells his/my opinion also to you at:

02:30 to 03:40

Don't listen to Haldex 😆😜😃 The only thing i agree with him is that 21" are just a mistake... even on air suspension. Believe me. But if you do value aesthetic of course a 21" wheel will look better. If you are more into comfort, choose r-design with 19". Not the r-design pro.

If you have the money for an expensive extra as air suspension, go for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190921_062342.jpg (154.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Sep 21st, 2019 at 06:55.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 12:39   #8
Mike109

Default Ride quality

I test drove an r-design before buying the inscription. Neither had air suspension and I found both to be very comfortable rides. My previous Lexus RX450h was a little bit unsettled laterally on some surfaces but I find the xc60 to be much more controlled and comfortable and it recovers from bad surfaces more quickly than me old car.
Mike109 is offline   Reply With Quote