Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Difficult getting into 1st and reverse. 5th jumps out!!

Views : 3701

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:49   #21
Old Painless

That v-shaped thing is one of your shift forks. The sludge looks like brass particles to me and i think your syncromeshes are probably brass. The syncromeshes sit inbetween the collar and the selector fork. When the gear is selected the collar tries to move into the gear to drive it off the shaft but it cant until the gear is up to speed, this is achieved by the syncromesh rubbing on the gear until it is going as fast as the shaft at which point the collar moves into the gear and the clutch can be released.

If there is not enough oil in the box or whoever drives it doesnt use the clutch to shift or they just crash up and down the box like a caveman the syncromeshes could have worn out.

I would give everything a serious clean and try and get a figure for the syncromesh thickness so you can measure them.

Have a look at the diagrams at the very bottom of this page for an idea of how the gearbox works. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission

Last edited by Old Painless; Feb 23rd, 2010 at 11:54.
Old Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:56   #22
2000S40
Volvo for life

Thanks very much Painless, i cleaned it completely (not a spec left in the box) and have yet to test it. It seems weird that after being rebuilt this would happen, though it was low on oil. i'm now watching out for leaks just incase a seal has gone.

if the syncromesh is beyond, would it definately cause 5th to carry on popping? and how much am i looking to have to spend for a new syncromesh?

i'm hoping that when i renew the bushes tomorrow, that combined with a full box of oil and a clean of all the rubbish in there (including the plastic) will stop any frther problems for now.
2000S40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 14:03   #23
Old Painless

If the gearbox was rebuilt you shouldn't have a problem. I can only imagine the pound signs that would appear in a mechanics eyes at the mention of those words.

Have you been given proof the work was carried out ? It seems doubtful it was carried out and if it was, there should surely be nothing wrong with it now ?

I have no idea about syncromesh pricing i am afraid. I just noticed that my description wasnt quite accurate but it was close enough. I only learned how it all works myself yesterday evening.

That being said i don't think a worn gearbox would make the gear stick excessively loose, the gear linkage might be causing your gear jumping problem, my haynes agrees, for what its worth.

Last edited by Old Painless; Feb 23rd, 2010 at 14:10.
Old Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 14:46   #24
2000S40
Volvo for life

Would you believe I was thinking of simply changing the bushes and testing it? However the thought of my box exploding during a long trip got me a little nervous..
I'm glad it's done now though, it's off my mind and I can keep an eye on it here-on.

Tomorrow I will be changing the bushes (I just need to figure out which is which now, as all the bushes came in one packet).. I'll start another thread about that perhaps.

I don't have proof of a rebuilt box, but as the volvo came from a circle of friends I have no reason to doubt it (I'm waiting to get receipts though still, just incase it's under warantee).

Hopefully I've caught it in time and the bushes will fix it.
2000S40 is offline   Reply With Quote