Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Handbrake disaster

Views : 62132

Replies : 210

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2010, 13:01   #31
dzidek

I just had a same disaster yesterday
dzidek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 14:41   #32
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Oh no!! Does the car give you any warnings at all (Like poor handbrake tension) before the brakes rip themselves apart??
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 15:05   #33
Brendan W
Premier Member

Repalced mine recently. 03 V70 D5 94000mi. Handbrake had stuck on once or twice when reversing out the drive. One shoe had about two inches of the friction material unglued but still in place. On the shoe pads there were raised lines of shiny material corresponding to the grooves in the drum like material was binding to the shoe friction material. What are those grooves for anyway?
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 20:08   #34
ptruman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgey dee View Post
Oh no!! Does the car give you any warnings at all (Like poor handbrake tension) before the brakes rip themselves apart??
I'd also like to know.

My handbrake has always been a bit "soft" (i.e. parking on a hill, the handbrake rarely stops the car rolling slightly, unless it's left in gear as well, but it's been checked by the garage it goes to, had the handbrake tightened (separately), and Kwikfit had the wheels off last week and said nothing - other than the FRONT discs/pads need doing.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 21:55   #35
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptruman View Post
I'd also like to know.

My handbrake has always been a bit "soft" (i.e. parking on a hill, the handbrake rarely stops the car rolling slightly, unless it's left in gear as well, but it's been checked by the garage it goes to, had the handbrake tightened (separately), and Kwikfit had the wheels off last week and said nothing - other than the FRONT discs/pads need doing.
Well mine passed it's MOT (Frenchy one) in March 09 & it was working.

When I replaced the shoes a few months back most of the friction stuff had either 'gone' or was loose in the 'drum'. The handbrake did get slowly worse till it was useless. So really I left mine too long.

Really if you do not know when yours was last done I'd suggest you take a look.

I recently helped a mate do his 96' 850TDI - rear discs, pads & handbrake shoes. I'd noticed signs of a seized calliper & suggested he looked at it as a 'job lot'. He replied that he'd paid Volvo in St Nazaire to do his discs & pads & they did not even mention the H/brake!

We did the deed & needless to say the friction parts of the shoes were crumbling.

The disc on the seized side was knackered too.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 22:10   #36
hermo

Thats not nice. Think i'll take another look at my scored back discs now...
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 15:10   #37
ptruman

Just had my car back from t'garage (new backbox, front pads & discs) and I asked about this (i.e. signs to watch out for).

Although the chap hasn't seen any damaged ones (I did say come look at this thread - ow!) he said the friction material/pads are just stuck on with glue, and if they wear/get loose, you'll get knocking when changing direction from forwards to reverse - so maybe listen out for that!
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 12:07   #38
dzidek

Hi guys

Mine where seized every now and again. Usually when car wasn't used for a couple of days and when I tried to start to drive my rear wheels where seized so I used more accelerator to brake it (not a good idea!)
I thought it does happen when I cleaned my car or after rain (rust on the brake discs) but it wasn't that and I disregard that issue.

I have to change now a hub carrier which cost £350 + VAT from Volvo and handbrake shoes, springs, cable, etc.
I managed to get one (hub carrier) from scrapyard for £92 delivered which should be here on Monday. The labour from Volvo garage 270 + Vat just for the hub carrier.

My advice here is to not ignore signs of an issue and keep checking your handbrake, otherwise be prepared for a very expensive repair.

I'm gutted
dzidek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 12:47   #39
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzidek View Post
Hi guys

Mine where seized every now and again. Usually when car wasn't used for a couple of days and when I tried to start to drive my rear wheels where seized so I used more accelerator to brake it (not a good idea!)
I thought it does happen when I cleaned my car or after rain (rust on the brake discs) but it wasn't that and I disregard that issue.

I have to change now a hub carrier which cost £350 + VAT from Volvo and handbrake shoes, springs, cable, etc.
I managed to get one (hub carrier) from scrapyard for £92 delivered which should be here on Monday. The labour from Volvo garage 270 + Vat just for the hub carrier.

My advice here is to not ignore signs of an issue and keep checking your handbrake, otherwise be prepared for a very expensive repair.

I'm gutted
My T5 did this after a wash, if H/brake left on after. My current GLT does too. Either take it for a spin directly after washing to 'dry the discs off'. Or (as I now do in our off road parking area & if it's safe) leave the handbrake off & slip it into gear.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 15:58   #40
Clan
Experienced Member

Another tip change the shoes when you change the rear discs , the time period is about right to prevent any trouble in the future .. only an extra £28 or so ... The right thing to do though is to get a second hand hub , it makes sense ...