Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

URGENT! Oil leak, knocking top end and low idle

Views : 2242

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 23:49   #11
2000S40
Volvo for life

Baffler, the only bungs/bolts/other parts that would keep the oil in were very tightly in place. My view is limited from both above and below since I'm crawling into tight spaces, but I definitely saw no holes for oil to leak out.

There's a pipe coming from behind the plastic cambelt cover, at the back, near the exhaust heatshield. That was a little wet, though nothing like around the passenger driveshaft - this had the only fresh oil (not black, but the goldish colour you get directly from the bottle) on the entire soaked underbody of the car. Does that help?
2000S40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 00:06   #12
Baffler
Premier Member

Stevo could very well be on the money with the rear crankshaft oil seal. This is the seal behind the flywheel so that means the gearbox has to come out, flywheel off and new bolts needed for reassembly. The assembly plate of the clutch could be impregnated with oil so it would be advisable to fit a new clutch kit too.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 00:09   #13
2000S40
Volvo for life

Would that definitely show oil all around the pas/ driveshaft?!
That sounds like an epically expensive job. And not something that can be done in a day.

The clutch being oiled up, would that cause such issues as a shudder in first?!
If so then it could be the full sha-bang, and I'm royally rumbled

Ugh, my stomach just dropped..
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 00:48   #14
Baffler
Premier Member

No, I'm afraid it's not looking good is it...

Quote:
Would that definitely show oil all around the pas/ driveshaft?!
If the rear crank seal is gone then oil will collect at the bottom of the bellhousing and seep out as there is no gasket between the gearbox and engine, the oil will then blow back along the bottom of the car, as you have seen. The seal itself is molded half way (half moon) into the sump and this reflects the loss of almost two liters. The quick drip of oil would also indicate this to be your problem.

Quote:
The clutch being oiled up, would that cause such issues as a shudder in first?!
The shudder could be the wet clutch slipping and catching

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.

Last edited by Baffler; Apr 26th, 2010 at 01:08.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 17:51   #15
2000S40
Volvo for life

I took it to a Volvo dealer today.
The oil coming out is NOT engine oil, but gearbox oil apparently.

The car engine was cleaned, test driven and the only oil coming from anywhere is the driveshaft -> gearbox. On the other side, there's a bit of seepage from the grease in the CV joint.

The engine oil went from half full to just under the dipstick reach over a space of about 1,800 miles where I drove Holland > Oxford > Holland > Belgium > Holland. Apparently in my engine's age (1997) and mileage (223,700 miles) this is quite possibly due to the engine using the oil especially due to old seals internally, it needs a stripdown and replace to lessen the oil use.

The tapping has gone from the top end, and I will now check the oil level every day after my travels (it's a daily driver).

However, now I definitely need a new gearbox, it's leaking in more than one place, whiney, a little difficult to get into gear (even with new bushes) and if you remember, it had a lot of brass shavings inside the 5th carter. So much for a "rebuilt" box eh?

The oil all along the under side of the car is all gearbox Volvo said, and it's happened over an extended period of time (I fill the gearbox 1-2times a month). So that's a relief.

They said the engine was as dry as a bone, there wasn't a leak anywhere apparently.
It's definitely leaking where the driveshaft goes into the gearbox, and no higher.

So it's new gearbox once I get back to full-time work, and I have to keep monitoring the engine oil. I got some Wynn's stop-leak which is supposed to "revive" rubber seals in the engine, lessening oil use. It does not thicken the oil, it's a chemical that reacts with rubber only. I'm going to try that also, and see if I notice any changes.

Thanks for the help.
Jason
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 07:07   #16
neileg

Pleased I was wrong. Don't bother with any additives in your engine oil. They won't stop the oil consumption related to wear, just keep an eye on the oil level. Many engines would have died before reaching the mileage yours has.

Gearbox oil should need topping up on an annual basis not twice a month. You know then that yours has a serious issue.
neileg is offline   Reply With Quote