Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cambelt Change time.

Views : 619

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2018, 18:29   #1
CoreyDog

Default Cambelt Change time.

Evening all,

So my V50 2.0D is 10 years old this year so is due it's cam belts changing. It's covered 119,000.

Spoke to my local Volvo Main Dealer by email and to my surprise said for cam belt and aux belt it would be only £398. However that doesn't cover the water pump which is an extra £133 just for the pump before any extra labour! They said they don't bother swapping the pump out unless it's leaking or noisy. Does this seem right? I've always been led to believe you switch the pump out when changing the belts.

My local garage has quoted £330 for belts but I'm angling towards main dealer as know they will at least use genuine Volvo belts.

Anyone have any experience in this? Advice appreciated.

Thanks.
CoreyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 18:34   #2
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyDog View Post
Evening all,

So my V50 2.0D is 10 years old this year so is due it's cam belts changing. It's covered 119,000.

Spoke to my local Volvo Main Dealer by email and to my surprise said for cam belt and aux belt it would be only £398. However that doesn't cover the water pump which is an extra £133 just for the pump before any extra labour! They said they don't bother swapping the pump out unless it's leaking or noisy. Does this seem right? I've always been led to believe you switch the pump out when changing the belts.

My local garage has quoted £330 for belts but I'm angling towards main dealer as know they will at least use genuine Volvo belts.

Anyone have any experience in this? Advice appreciated.

Thanks.
I would always go for wp at same time, just seems silly to leave what might be a weak link in the chain. Not everyone will agree though.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 21:13   #3
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

If you v50 had a Volvo engine then yes leave the pump unless it requires changing. They are of excellent quality and do last. There has been many engines ruined because of non genuine water pumps.

However as you have the 2.0d which is a Ford /Peugeot unit then I would change the lot. I don’t think it would bother me either if non volvo parts were used because with so many of these engines around in various different cars loads of garages will be fitting all sorts to them and you don’t often hear of issues.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 09:45   #4
Bendolfc
Premier Member

The dealer I use said the same re waterpump, although in the end they said it was a bit notchy and replaced it anyway.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 10:01   #5
Austin160
Master Member

Default Cambelt change time.

I suppose the important question now is - what make water pump was used? - since some aftermarket ones can result in being less serviceable than the one which was replaced.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 11:37   #6
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
However as you have the 2.0d which is a Ford /Peugeot unit then I would change the lot. I don’t think it would bother me either if non volvo parts were used because with so many of these engines around in various different cars loads of garages will be fitting all sorts to them and you don’t often hear of issues.
With a 10 year / 150K interval, we are probably aren't quite at the time frame where we will see issues crop up with after market parts lasting. It's a long interval on these cars and I'd go for genuine parts personally,especially given the price difference quoted in the OP.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 11:40   #7
CoreyDog

Cheers for advice so far everyone.

Local garage would use a generic cam belt looking at the break down of quote as price of parts is only £130 then £180 labour + VAT. I've found aftermarket pumps for just £16 but no chance I'd be willing to use one of those. I'm swaying more towards just paying the extra and having Volvo change the belts then waiting to see what they say on water pump. Volvo quoted £128 for Cam Kit, £28 for Aux belt then £239 in labour inc VAT. Adding water pump I believe would be around another £150, though they didn't quote for it.

It's still on its original belt and pump, had a major service and guys pointed out cam belt was due this year. I've never kept a car as long as this one so first time ever in 17 years I've needed to sort a cam belt!
CoreyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 17:05   #8
The Thong
VOC Member

I was advised by the dealer the water pump wouldn’t need changing but I had it done anyway. I had mine done by the main dealer so it was a Volvo supplied pump fitted. It’s piece of mind.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2018, 13:37   #9
Whippy
Premier Member

Exactly my view, what price peace of mind?
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2018, 09:19   #10
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Exactly my view, what price peace of mind?
I can’t remember how much it cost, all the paperwork went with the car but I don’t think it was a big cost TBH

TT