Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seat belt problem

Views : 671

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 09:42   #1
Moose Test
Master Member

Default Seat belt problem

Hello All,

I'm stuck with a completely avoidable problem of my own making.

I removed the b-pillar trim in order to replace the headlining in my 07 '90 and was met by a large collection of dust bunnies and human hair trapped between the seat belt unit and the chassis. I decided to unbolt the seatbelt unit and vacuum clean behind it whilst the trim was off anyway. Mistake one.

Mistake two was allowing the belt to fully retract into its reel - I'd unclipped the fixed end from the driver's seat end in order to remove the b-pillar trim.

Result: Belt now won't feed out from the reel.

Failed solution: Second-hand unit from eBay - which features the same issue on arrival. What belt length is showing will retract but not unwind.

Does anyone know what is happening here and, hopefully, a solution? Can they be released or am I looking at a new unit from the main dealer at about £350?
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 10:28   #2
37 RUBY
Master Member

Hello Moose

Have you tried inverting the belt reel housing opposite to what it is when mounted then listen for the ball bearing mechanism clinking slightly before gently pulling the belt back out.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 13:48   #3
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
Have you tried inverting the belt reel housing opposite to what it is when mounted then listen for the ball bearing mechanism clinking slightly before gently pulling the belt back out.
In a word, no. However I shall be this evening, now that you have suggested it. Thanks.
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 10:16   #4
37 RUBY
Master Member

Any joy Moose?
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 16:07   #5
Oldbrook
VOC Member

Hi you will need the reel at the correct angle as it is fitted at in nthe car.Dave
Oldbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldbrook For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 16:25   #6
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Lots of patience needed but you will get there!

My drive has a slight slope and I was checking one of my cars over before an MOT and a rear seat belt would not release to allow me to test it in the buckle - exasperated, I drove the car to the station and tried one last time and was fine; when I got the car back (passed) I tried on the drive and same thing - the slope was causing the belt to lock and nothing would allow its release until you put the car on the flat.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 14:28   #7
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
Any joy Moose?
In all honesty, I've not tried your advice yet, on account of the weather having been filthy here the past week/weekend and me not currently having access to a garage.

I'll update the thread after this weekend but it sounds promising. Thanks.
Old May 1st, 2018, 18:39   #8
Barnacle58

Probably not what you want to hear but when I bought my car from a main dealer they had to replace the seat belt as it was frayed. A new one had to be shipped from Sweden by land as it has explosive bits in it.Hopefully you won't need a new one.
Barnacle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 13:06   #9
Moose Test
Master Member

Thanks to everyone on the thread who offered advice.

I finally got around to finishing this job and I can confirm it was indeed all down to the angle at which the belt is being operated (at least for me, in this case). As some said above, the mechanism is very sensitive to this.

As soon as it was correctly re-fitted to the car, it worked perfectly. Outside of the vehicle they won't operate when laying on a bench etc.