Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Turbo Diesel

Views : 19178

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 15:54   #11
johndglynn

Default RE: 940 Turbo Diesel

Greg

Am in Northants, work in Surrey 3 days a week. Where are you?

Cheers

JG

johndglynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2002, 15:58   #12
johndglynn

'Some well-deserved TLC' - you cheeky bugger!!

The Nova club is based in my village actually mate, and have sold a few Nova GTE's up here - there's NO WAY a Volvo TD Auto would outrun one.

Wait until my new breatheasy engine is ready and we'll do a run what ya brung at a strip near you - that would be a laugh.

jg
Old Jul 31st, 2002, 16:09   #13
psionman

Hello John

I am in Chatham Kent (nr Maidstone)

From time to time I am in Surbiton, but can never be sure when. I might be up there this week end. Might go and look at a '94 (L) 960 auto est 24v 3000cc with full leather, cc and all the usual. All for £1795. What do you think could be wrong at that price (other than high milage) ? Or is it the going rate ?

Regards

Greg
Old Aug 1st, 2002, 00:11   #14
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Don't scoff, just look at the official 30 -50 and 50-70 times. You will be surprised to learn that they are 4.4 seconds and 7.7 seconds respectively with a 0-60 time of 12.2 seconds, which compares very favourably with the normal Novas driven by the local lads who fit evrything but the kitchen sink in the name of performance extras to their cars. A 760 TDI is far more agile than you give it credit for.
My 940 TDI's 0-60 time is given as 11.8 seconds by the road test figures of a motor magazine and the times for S60 and S80 D5S is only 9.9 seconds.

Do you mean, by your last remark that you own and drive a Nova and not a Volvo?

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 18:33   #15
johndglynn

A Nova GTE has 100bhp and 100lb/ft of torque in a car that weighs 834kg. That's 119bhp to the tonne. The last of the 940TD estates weighed in at 1483kg with 122bhp. That's 82bhp to the tonne. The Nova is quicker and they sell faster too, though not by much.

I don't have a Nova, but I do have a Renault 21 Turbo with 218bhp at the wheels in an 1190kg body. That's 183bhp to the tonne. Will keep an eye on my mirrors for 760TD's.

Cheers

Johnnyboyo
Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 23:44   #16
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

It is the torque produced by the diesel engine that results in a performance superior to that if it was only the bhp to consider. Mine before modification had 235lb/ft of torque. It has around 260lb/ft of torque at present. On your figures the Nova has 119lb/ft to the tonne. My figures (using the same calculations) give 156lb/ft to the tonne unmodified and 173lb/ft to the tonne (my car in modified state). So find out a bit more about the diesel engine before you scoff. As I pointed out the acceleration of a 760 auto turbodiesel is certainly as good , if not better than a Nova's.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2002, 08:50   #17
johndglynn

Peter

You're all torque mate

'All the best'

JG
2 x 940 TD Estates

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 13:06   #18
1stGarry

I had a 940 TD Estate ('95) for six years, and put 165K on it. For the first 3 years I was averaging 40K per year, and the car was a regular visitor to my local Volvo dealer for various warranty work (engine / drivetrain etc). For the last 3 years of ownership I was doing about 15K per year and it behaved impeccably, only 1 visit to a garage (apart from the regular services). So it seems to me that if it's not been / not going to be overworked, then it is the perfect workhorse.

I finally changed it as the startup noise and smoking 1st thing in the mornings used to p*ss me and the neighbours off. Sounded, and smoked, like a tractor (and that was with regular servicing throughout it's life). But, hey, it's a mid 90s diesel, what do you expect!

During ownership I was pleasantly surprised at how it could eat the miles up and return good mpg, mid-range acceleration was surprisingly good, cavernous load carrying abilities, an extremely comfortable ride, and decent resale values.

1stGarry
Old Sep 8th, 2002, 15:50   #19
jamie28

how do you tune the diesels and what gains can you expect.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 22:29   #20
MicVic

Smile Volvo 940SE TD

Hello all, been a long time since I posted here and I'm hoping someone can help and/or advise.

I've had a 1995 940SE TD Estate with the D24TIC engine for a year now, 118K on the clock and no problems yet. I am not much of a mechanic, but would like to get more out of what the car has to offer.

For now I have three questions that have been bugging me, and despite trawling the internet cannot find concrete answers in simple english.

1. How do I go about reducing the engine noise, which is especially loud on start-up? I am aware that it is a 'feature' of this engine.

2. The same question but concerning the white smoke/fumes.

3. I have read that you can replace the stock turbo and intercooler with that from an 850 and achieve a much improved HP etc... is this true? Could anyone provide me with helpfull links?

Here's hoping someone can help
Thanks,
Mike
MicVic is offline   Reply With Quote